Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've written an article for the student paper The Knowledge at Plymouth University about housing issues for the students.
    after the feedback Ive realised a lot of people suffer from houses. I am hoping the article will bring the attention to the SU and University of how difficult housing is for some students and how it can affect your time at University.

share your comment on the page comment section if you agree or have experienced negatives issues to try and raise awareness.

thankyou so much fellow plym students!

http://theknowledgeplymouth.co.uk/i-...rs-and-police/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WithACapitalK)
    Myself and my two housemate paid £250 each (yes £750), in 'admin fees' and were told that it was to cover the cost of cleaners and re decorating the house over the summer and being naive we believe them:angelblush:. When we moved into the house it was full of crap from the previous tenants (plates, hair bobbles, paper, post, dirty clothes and towels, etc).:yucky: The place had been used as a dumping ground over summer so was full of bags of rubbish, cardboard boxes, broken shower heads, broken toilet seats etc etc etc. There wasn't a single working light in the place and the boiler was broken meaning we spent the first month in the dark with no hot water or heating :sick: (We all know that sucks in rainy Plymouth). We had one sofa that was literally fuzzy with mould and falling apart and neighbours dealing on both sides:leaf:! Needless to say...we will be glad to move out of here in July!

do you mind me asking who you let with?

ReputationRep:
    £250 per person admin fees are extortionate! Admin fees are supposed to be to cover the costs of contract set up and referencing etc. and reasonably reflect the cost of that to the agent, but to be told that it was going to be used to clean and decorate the house over the summer before you moved in is to my mind outrageous. The cost of cleaning the place should be covered by the previous outgoing tenants (usually from deposit) and cost of decorating should be covered by the landlord (part of their cost of doing business). Did they also take a deposit or first and last? If so then they have to comply with deposit legislation and inform you of how they have secured the deposit, with which scheme and do it within 30 days after having received it or be subject to a 'no-defence' fine of up to 3 times the deposit amount (and this can be claimed by the tenants within 6 years after the tenancy has ended, so the tenancy doesn't even have to be current/active!).

It sounds like this is the business model of an agent/landlord who previously took deposits and then consistently kept them at the end of the tenancy, the law then changed and they had to secure deposits, prove their deposit deductions etc. and justify why a deposit was kept.......which is too much hassle for them so they then just decide to call the deposit an 'admin fee' and outright tell you from the beginning that they're keeping it!

Its examples like this that give good agents/landlords a bad name - definitely 'name and shame' them - post formal reviews with review websites and forums like this one. People don't shout about the bad service they receive in this country enough. Its a shame that when you put in a search for 'plymouth student accommodation reviews' that its only this forum and one 'Tripadvisor' review of Plymouth Uni's own accommodation that comes up. Good and bad, people need to start posting reviews for agents/landlords for the benefit of all so that hopefully we'll get less and less of this kind of situation. Don't be apathetic. As long as your reviews are truthful and balanced then the agent/landlord can have no argument, they always have the right to reply anyway if they feel hard done by but at least the subject would be out there for future students looking for accommodation to see and make their own mind up.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
University of Plymouth resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.