thavmasto
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm doing tutoring for maths outside school...

The problem is that I finished C1 and only did 2 topics of C2 and I still have M1 to do which I haven't started.
Would I be able to do the test for C12 and M1 in time for May/June 2015?
I'm very very worried!!! please help!
(I also do physics in school)
Serpentine111
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Around 2-3 days solid.
crayolaguy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not very long, I'd agree with about 3 days of working about 7 hours a day or something. That's before past paper practise.
TVIO
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Serpentine111)
Around 2-3 days solid.

(Original post by crayolaguy)
Not very long, I'd agree with about 3 days of working about 7 hours a day or something. That's before past paper practise.
I would strongly disagree with this. M1 has a fair bit of content to cover, and more importantly it's got a different way of thinking that you'll have to adapt to. It took us roughly 50-60 hours to cover it, but that wouldn't be equivalent to working flat out for a week or so, you've got to let the concepts sink in a bit. I wouldn't do it in any less than a month, you need to fully understand it to do well, I personally found it very tough at first but did very well at the end. May/June is far away, so you've definitely got enough time.
Firthy38
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do you do/have done AS Physics? The content is very similar so if you have it would decrease the time it would take to cover the module

Posted from TSR Mobile
Serpentine111
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TVIO)
I would strongly disagree with this. M1 has a fair bit of content to cover, and more importantly it's got a different way of thinking that you'll have to adapt to. It took us roughly 50-60 hours to cover it, but that wouldn't be equivalent to working flat out for a week or so, you've got to let the concepts sink in a bit. I wouldn't do it in any less than a month, you need to fully understand it to do well, I personally found it very tough at first but did very well at the end. May/June is far away, so you've definitely got enough time.
Disagree if you must. M1 is very straight forward, as are most of the unit 1 maths topics and 2-3 days is definitely enough to go through the whole M1 book and do most, if not all, the questions - by this time anyone will have understood the concepts without having to let it "sink in".

Class time is much less productive for a large majority of people than personal time so I would say it is reasonable to say that 50 hours of class time would be round about 3 days of solid work on the unit.

This comes from personal experience as I self taught S2, M1, M2 and M3 each at around 2-4 days (and got over 90 UMS in all).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (129)
29.79%
No (304)
70.21%

Watched Threads