Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How long does it takes to study M1? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing tutoring for maths outside school...

The problem is that I finished C1 and only did 2 topics of C2 and I still have M1 to do which I haven't started.
    Would I be able to do the test for C12 and M1 in time for May/June 2015?
    I'm very very worried!!! please help!
    (I also do physics in school)

ReputationRep:
    Around 2-3 days solid.

ReputationRep:
    Not very long, I'd agree with about 3 days of working about 7 hours a day or something. That's before past paper practise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serpentine111)
    Around 2-3 days solid.

(Original post by crayolaguy)
    Not very long, I'd agree with about 3 days of working about 7 hours a day or something. That's before past paper practise.
    I would strongly disagree with this. M1 has a fair bit of content to cover, and more importantly it's got a different way of thinking that you'll have to adapt to. It took us roughly 50-60 hours to cover it, but that wouldn't be equivalent to working flat out for a week or so, you've got to let the concepts sink in a bit. I wouldn't do it in any less than a month, you need to fully understand it to do well, I personally found it very tough at first but did very well at the end. May/June is far away, so you've definitely got enough time.

ReputationRep:
    Do you do/have done AS Physics? The content is very similar so if you have it would decrease the time it would take to cover the module

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVIO)
    I would strongly disagree with this. M1 has a fair bit of content to cover, and more importantly it's got a different way of thinking that you'll have to adapt to. It took us roughly 50-60 hours to cover it, but that wouldn't be equivalent to working flat out for a week or so, you've got to let the concepts sink in a bit. I wouldn't do it in any less than a month, you need to fully understand it to do well, I personally found it very tough at first but did very well at the end. May/June is far away, so you've definitely got enough time.
    Disagree if you must. M1 is very straight forward, as are most of the unit 1 maths topics and 2-3 days is definitely enough to go through the whole M1 book and do most, if not all, the questions - by this time anyone will have understood the concepts without having to let it "sink in".

Class time is much less productive for a large majority of people than personal time so I would say it is reasonable to say that 50 hours of class time would be round about 3 days of solid work on the unit.

This comes from personal experience as I self taught S2, M1, M2 and M3 each at around 2-4 days (and got over 90 UMS in all).

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.