Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

Is anyone else on here applying for the TV & Film Set Design course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie-louise)
    Hello!

Is anyone else on here applying for the TV & Film Set Design course?
    Meeeee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahms1)
    Meeeee
    Heyhey! I'm terribly stuck between this course and two others, I have offers from Nottingham Trent for their film and TV design course, and Wimbledon College of Arts (UAL) too! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I've also got a place at Nottingham trent and i'm pretty sure I'm going with USW due to the fact Nottingham is so far away from home. This is a huge factor as all of my friends away wish they were closer to home. On unistats they are verry close. Living in cardiff myself i know there is loooads of work experience, ive already been in the bbc drama village on casualty and a welsh soap on work experience and i have a no. For a designer on doctor who. There's loads of other companies in a new building next to the bbc and pinewood is now based in wales along with swansea bay studios (davincis demons) and a new American show is going to be filmed here (Americans spend millions on their shows). I dont know how many things there are in Nottingham. When in bbc i asked about courses and a guy said his friends from Wimbledon have struggled to get work.

Need to know anything about cardiff city let me know!

Both courses Nottingham and cardiff look amazing and cover all of the same stuff I guess it just depends on the place.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Performance and Media? :-)
    Cardiff is a beautiful city, if you like doctor who you will like it, everywhere you go you see places where it's been filmed like the rift in Cardiff bay! Also there's the memorial wall from torchwood. Also there is BBC Wales which swu is in contact with.

I don't know nothing about the university, but I know Cardiff because I fell in love with the city from the minuet I stepped foot in it. Good bye Manchester hello Cardiff ;-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham's the furthest away from home for me too, Cardiff's the second furthest but I've been there so many times, that it's a very familiar place! There's direct train links too from Cardiff to Portsmouth (where I live) which is always handy.

I found that with the Nottingham course, lots of people seem to get all of their experience down in London so they have to spend all of that money on travelling... but in London, the film and TV industries are on the doorstep but at the same time it's the most expensive place to live! :confused: I'm actually trying to use this week to finally decide haha, so I can get the accommodation and finance sorted, I'm finding it very tricky though! As a mega Doctor Who fan, Cardiff is so tempting!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmesTurnip)
    I'm doing Performance and Media? :-)
    Cardiff is a beautiful city, if you like doctor who you will like it, everywhere you go you see places where it's been filmed like the rift in Cardiff bay! Also there's the memorial wall from torchwood. Also there is BBC Wales which swu is in contact with.

I don't know nothing about the university, but I know Cardiff because I fell in love with the city from the minuet I stepped foot in it. Good bye Manchester hello Cardiff ;-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We got best city to live in in the UK whoop. I love cardiff it has everything so close and especially the links to bbc. Thats my main reason for staying. I probably would have moved away if the course was in bath or Bristol but its such a great place i dont mind staying haha

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham's the furthest away from home for me too, Cardiff's the second furthest but I've been there so many times, that it's a very familiar place! There's direct train links too from Cardiff to Portsmouth (where I live) which is always handy.

I found that with the Nottingham course, lots of people seem to get all of their experience down in London so they have to spend all of that money on travelling... but in London, the film and TV industries are on the doorstep but at the same time it's the most expensive place to live! :confused: I'm actually trying to use this week to finally decide haha, so I can get the accommodation and finance sorted, I'm finding it very tricky though! As a mega Doctor Who fan, Cardiff is so tempting!!
    Im dying at the fact i might get work ex there soon Aaaaaaa. But my mum was speaking so someone in work who was a filmmaker, she said all of her friends moved to london and struggled to work because everyone is there competing for the same jobs, where she moved back to cardiff and worked constantly for 30 years before deciding to teach. she said there are so many people in london you have no chance of getting a job.

ReputationRep:
    Im dying at the fact i might get work ex there soon Aaaaaaa. But my mum was speaking so someone in work who was a filmmaker, she said all of her friends moved to london and struggled to work because everyone is there competing for the same jobs, where she moved back to cardiff and worked constantly for 30 years before deciding to teach. she said there are so many people in london you have no chance of getting a job.

Ahhh man! It's my absolute dream to work on Doctor Who That doesn't surprise me about London! Most of the film and TV industry is freelance too so it's all about making contacts, but Cardiff seems like such a close-knit community so I think that'd be easier in Cardiff! Everyone there is so friendly too, I really loved my interview for the course as the course leader was really friendly

ReputationRep:
    Yeah same they all seemed nice. I also quized the 3rd year students who all said they like the course and felt they could go straight into the industry which is good. Also you can always go to london after working with contacts you've made in cardiff

ReputationRep:
    Yeah same they all seemed nice. I also quized the 3rd year students who all said they like the course and felt they could go straight into the industry which is good. Also you can always go to london after working with contacts you've made in cardiff
    Oo really? I haven't had a chance to speak to anyone on the course, though I've been trying to find students who are on Linkedin and it's great to see that a lot of them are getting work experience placements! Yeah I was thinking about the NFTS which is just outside of London, does loads of postgraduate opportunities that seem pretty great

ReputationRep:
    Oo really? I haven't had a chance to speak to anyone on the course, though I've been trying to find students who are on Linkedin and it's great to see that a lot of them are getting work experience placements! Yeah I was thinking about the NFTS which is just outside of London, does loads of postgraduate opportunities that seem pretty great
    Yeah people will employ you just because you went there

ReputationRep:
    Yeah people will employ you just because you went there
    Pretty sure I'm going to accept for Wales, bloody Track is under maintenance until the 2nd though so I have to wait! It's lovely as they gave me an unconditional too, I'm on a Foundation course at the minute but there's no pressure now to get any grades haha!

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure I'm going to accept for Wales, bloody Track is under maintenance until the 2nd though so I have to wait! It's llovely as they gave me an unconditional too, I'm on a Foundation course at the minute but there's no pressure now to get any grades haha!
    Yeah im on a gap year so got my grades whoop no pressure! What accommodation are you looking at?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah im on a gap year so got my grades whoop no pressure! What accommodation are you looking at?
    Awesome! That is the best thing I'm thinking Student Castle at the minute, had a look and with the finance I should be able to afford it plus I think it looks nicer than Liberty! What about you?

ReputationRep:
    Awesome! That is the best thing I'm thinking Student Castle at the minute, had a look and with the finance I should be able to afford it plus I think it looks nicer than Liberty! What about you?
    Omg same! It looks sooo nice. Liberty looks gross and its more expensive... also student castle has a gym which u can use from free

ReputationRep:
    Omg same! It looks sooo nice. Liberty looks gross and its more expensive... also student castle has a gym which u can use from free
    Ahh brill! I'm going to apply asap, the rooms look gorgeous and I definitely think we'd get more for our money with Student Castle! It's a pretty similar price to Liberty yet it seems to offer so much more, and it's only down the road

ReputationRep:
    Ahh brill! I'm going to apply asap, the rooms look gorgeous and I definitely think we'd get more for our money with Student Castle! It's a pretty similar price to Liberty yet it seems to offer so much more, and it's only down the road
    Yeah its litrally a minute walk

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its litrally a minute walk
    Awesome, it'll be so convenient Do you know if it's very far from all of the main shopping areas too? I might set up a Facebook group too at some point so we can all get to know each other before the course starts

ReputationRep:
    Awesome, it'll be so convenient Do you know if it's very far from all of the main shopping areas too? I might set up a Facebook group too at some point so we can all get to know each other before the course starts
    Omg amazing idea! Its a 5min walk to shops amd maybe 7/10 to clubs. Its right in the centre unlike other unis. So no bus fares! !!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.