Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So our house mate disappeared from our house around October 8th, only in about November did we receive an email saying she was behind on rent which we didn't know about. We pay £900 every 3 months for our house, and she missed the September payment. She then missed the December payment putting it up to £1800, they also charged her more and more for being late, until it got to £2400. Today we received an email from our billing company saying she hadn't been paying her weekly debit for split the bills, equalling to another £130. So overall she is in £2500+ debt, and it will be more as the late fees keep piling on top and she has another rent payment of £900 coming out in March. She recently deleted her Facebook too.

We refuse to pay so much for someone who just suddenly decided to get up and leave. What are our options? Can we take her to court? What can we do.

(Original post by Philly902)
    So our house mate disappeared from our house around October 8th, only in about November did we receive an email saying she was behind on rent which we didn't know about. We pay £900 every 3 months for our house, and she missed the September payment. She then missed the December payment putting it up to £1800, they also charged her more and more for being late, until it got to £2400. Today we received an email from our billing company saying she hadn't been paying her weekly debit for split the bills, equalling to another £130. So overall she is in £2500+ debt, and it will be more as the late fees keep piling on top and she has another rent payment of £900 coming out in March. She recently deleted her Facebook too.

We refuse to pay so much for someone who just suddenly decided to get up and leave. What are our options? Can we take her to court? What can we do.
    Are you jointly liable or did you get separate liability?

If you're jointly liable then you can fight it but it'll be uphill struggle that you may not win and could end up costing more.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure it's joint. They have been sending bailiffs to our house, as well as her grandads house at home, however when we ask our housing company if they have made any progress with her they just say no. The bailiffs never took anything or looked around the house, they just said they where looking for her.

ReputationRep:
    If she's disappeared, can't you ask the police to search for her? If I were you, I'd consult a lawyer and cover my back.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Philly902)
    Pretty sure it's joint. They have been sending bailiffs to our house, as well as her grandads house at home, however when we ask our housing company if they have made any progress with her they just say no. The bailiffs never took anything or looked around the house, they just said they where looking for her.
    You really need to do more research into this. They will not have sent bailiffs at this stage, but the fact that you think they have shows that you have no idea what is going on.

Talk to your landlord and find out what is actually happening. Read your contract to see what can happen - you may be liable, or you may not. But nobody here can help you when you're posting incorrect inflammation due to a lack of understanding.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emanueladiana)
    If she's disappeared, can't you ask the police to search for her? If I were you, I'd consult a lawyer and cover my back.
    No she hasn't disappeared, she is one of our other house mates best friend. Obviously not any more after this, but we know she is at home.

ReputationRep:
    Well then it's not your problem! She starts paying, everything solved, she doesn't, the company will sue her and the problem's solved again. As long as you all have proof of paying your part, I don't think she can drag you along. Even so, you should ask for legal advice, just to be sure.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Well then it's not your problem! She starts paying, everything solved, she doesn't, the company will sue her and the problem's solved again. As long as you all have proof of paying your part, I don't think she can drag you along. Even so, you should ask for legal advice, just to be sure.
    It depends on the contract.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    It depends on the contract.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I guess I'll be paying extra attention if possible when signing my first house contract now.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I guess I'll be paying extra attention if possible when signing my first house contract now.
    The key phrase is "jointly and severally liable".

This means you are jointly liable, ie the group as a whole is responsible for the rent. But it also means that you are liable on your own for the whole rent. So if Bob doesn't pay his share they can persue you - and the landlord only cares about getting his money, he doesn't care if it's technically "your" rent that is owed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    The key phrase is "jointly and severally liable".

This means you are jointly liable, ie the group as a whole is responsible for the rent. But it also means that you are liable on your own for the whole rent. So if Bob doesn't pay his share they can persue you - and the landlord only cares about getting his money, he doesn't care if it's technically "your" rent that is owed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Actually thanks for clearing it up for me, I only had a hint about what the jointly liable expression meant.

ReputationRep:
    Did you sign separate contracts or are all of your signatures on one contract?

However, you've mentioned that the bailiffs went to her grandad's, which to me suggest she's used him as a guarantor and also suggests that you all have your own separate guarantors which then also suggests to me that you had signed separate contracts,

You need to read your contract, if it says anything on there at all about all housemates being viable for other housemates payments then you have signed a contract and you are very very unlikely to avoid paying it.
    If this is the case, you need to find a new housemate to replace this girl ASAP... Just to save you the extra costs from Feb and March etc if it does come to that!

Read the contract word for word, if you have any doubts, go to Citizen advice, or your Student Advice centre and get them to read it for you to see what they expect to happen.

As you haven't had any letters demanding for you to pay this payment, I would think it that unless the landlord is being an absolute penis, then they would have warned you by now that you're expected to pay it.
    The reason you would have got the letters about the bailiffs is probably because they need, by the contract, to give you warning that people will be gaining access to your place of livingg

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.