Turn on thread page Beta

Child Nursing vs Midwifery watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I'm new here and just looking for some advice really

For the longest time I have had my heart set on becoming a midwife but recently I have had doubts and have becoming increasingly interested in child nursing.

I know that these courses are highly competitive and I would be extremely lucky to earn a place, but I just want to be certain I am making the right choice before I start applying.

I am fascinated with pregnancy and birth but on the other hand I feel I would much more enjoy working with children, and I know that midwifery primarily involves working with the mother.

Has anyone else have/had these thoughts and how did they decide between the two? Are any current students able to give any advice?

Would really appreciate the help and I hope this thread is in the right place!

thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ErinR101)
    Hi guys, I'm new here and just looking for some advice really

For the longest time I have had my heart set on becoming a midwife but recently I have had doubts and have becoming increasingly interested in child nursing.

I know that these courses are highly competitive and I would be extremely lucky to earn a place, but I just want to be certain I am making the right choice before I start applying.

I am fascinated with pregnancy and birth but on the other hand I feel I would much more enjoy working with children, and I know that midwifery primarily involves working with the mother.

Has anyone else have/had these thoughts and how did they decide between the two? Are any current students able to give any advice?

Would really appreciate the help and I hope this thread is in the right place!

thankyou
    I know exactly how you feel! I had my heart set on midwifery since I was 14, but then as we got around to applying I started thinking about children's nursing and I ended up having to choose between the two.

Like you I also had a desire to help pregnant women during pregnancy and throughout the birth, but then I also loved working with children.

I think the best way to choose is through experience in the two different areas, I know that gaining work experience is hard, but even if it's just a few hours it could totally help!

I was lucky enough to get on a maternity ward run by midwives on my work experience, then on the last day, I was sent onto a neonatal ward with children's nurses.

I found that on the maternity ward I was bored, I spent a lot of time watching the clock, waiting around and wanting to leave, but when I was on the neonatal ward it was very exciting, there was always something to do and someone to help, this was what helped me make my decision.

However, I didn't go onto the labour ward, so I have no idea what it's from the perspective of helping women through the actual birth

ReputationRep:
    It's such a tough decision isn't it? I just don't want to make the wrong choice for my future! Have you applied now and was It child nursing that you chose? I've got work experince in the midwifery field coming up so will defiantly try and get some within child nursing! Thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the exact same position! I thought I wanted to be a midwife for so long, but recently I've thought about child nursing because while I'm interested in helping women throughout pregnancy and birth, I also really love working with children - more so than I do working with adults, so perhaps that route would be better for me, but I'm not entirely sure. It's such a tough decision!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.