Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Masters, Where to go?: Prestigious and expensive or Average and affordable? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    In my final year at Northumbria studying Literature and Journalism and in a bit of a predicament.
    I know after this year I want to do a masters in English Literature but I am worried about where.
    My options:

1. Stay at Northumbria as they are offering 10 grand post grad loans and I would be eligible for alumni discount also of at least 25% as I know i won't get lower than a 2.1, (hopefully a first but don't want to jinx myself!) Therefore my masters wouldn't cost more than 2 grand (i believe, however my maths skills are not to be trusted) and i would have the loan to cover that.

2. Try and go to Newcastle uni as they are obviously a much better ranking university especially for their English department. However, I would be eligible for NO discount and the masters would cost £5500. I think they offer 2 grand scholarships but then I would still be needing 3.5 grand, obviously money which i don't have and would have to find.

The bottom line of my problem is... Is it better to go to a higher ranking university and paying extortionate amount, or do I stay at Northumbria where I am settled and have many financial perks?
    I am torn as I am UNSURE of whether it is important to have a masters from a more renowned establishment??
    I hope to move onto a PhD after my masters, so will it reflect badly upon a PhD application if I have stayed at Northumbria which is not a top university?
    I simply cannot afford to go to a prestigious university but I don't believe that because I come from a poorer family it should inhibit my chances of excelling in my chosen career path? Basically if staying at Northumbria would prevent me from getting a good job in the future I will do all I can to make the money for Newcastle, but if it is not necessary I would much prefer to stay at Northumbria,

Any advice is appreciated and I'd be so grateful for any help!! Feeling pretty clueless about this all! Hope I have made myself clear. Thanks. Chloe.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.