The Student Room Group

Who has been a bigger threat to world peace?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hdaindak
islam?? seriously...

Right now Islam(extremist) is one of the biggest threat to world peace. From boko haram to Isis.
Original post by DaveSmith99
What happened 1000+ years ago has little to no impact on world peace today. The United States and its sustained campaign of regime change all over the Middle East, Africa and South America most certainly does.

Again, that's not what the question is asking. It doesn't specify a timeframe.
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
Spain? Why what on earth have they done?

They travelled the world, colonising, pillaging, stealing and plundering their way through countless civilisations.

But they did it more than 200yrs ago, so according to users here, they don't exist.
During the Cold War i'd have said the USA and USSR in equal measure. Both were expansionist and served their interests to the point that the US fired on a ship transporting British buses to Cuba and screwed us at Suez.

Since the Cold War, Islam has been the greatest threat to world police (or rather Islamic terrorists). Today that still stands however Russia's actions are forcing a chain of events which could lead to proxy wars breaking out.
Original post by MatureStudent36
The U.S. seems to be getting quite a bit of negative rep even though it was peace maker in ww2 and peace keeper in Europe post ww2

Evil people can do good actions to eclipse current and future evil actions, which is an evil itself. The Western Governments are a good example of this.
Spain? Why what on earth have they done?

IMHO I think we have multiple threats facing us at the moment

1. Islamic State
2. We have 2 theatres where we are in severe disagreement with Russia - Ukraine and Syria. I think Greece, Poland, Moldova and the Baltics have the potential to become theatres.
3. North Korea will remain a tinderbox for the forseeable future
4. China is tightening its grip both internally and externally
5. The Ergodan government in Turkey
6. Saudi Arabia is currently undergoing regime change after the death of their king - there could be dramatic changes there
7. Occasional Israel/Gaza crises which spring up every now and then
8. The unrest in Libya and Egypt

Well Spain colonized a lot of countries, killed tens of thousands of people, destroyed countless cultures? Colonized South America, fought wars with the UK, the US, France, fought a lot of internal wars, occupied Belgium & Holland and limited the religious freedom of the people of those regions. My Spanish history teacher says (may be an urban legend but it says something I guess) that up to this day when Dutch mothers want to scare their children into going to sleep, they say "shhh or the Spanish will come for you" :P

Agree about the threats you've mentioned though, I live in Poland and I get putinophobia every time a plane flies near my house and in the March-July period when the Ukraine deal was tenser everyone was very afraid around here. I also know (or my friends know) some Ukranians who live here - Ukranian men are afraid to go back there to visit their relatives because allegedly they try to get every male they see into the army :/
Original post by radicalboujie
U said tribalism is a threat to somalia? Lol m8 America's intervention was the cause of the 23 year civil war and the the displacements and deaths of thousands of Somalis. Also white European colonialism forcing borders is the issue of tribalism, white intervention in africa is the main underdevelopment of it. America is ands guilty of war crimes as ISIL is

Posted from TSR Mobile

You do know that Americas intervention in Somalia was humanitarian after the civil war started don't you?
You do know that Americas intervention in Somalia was humanitarian after the civil war started don't you?

It was a UN intervention, wasn't it? The Pakistanis were there too, but obviously only the US did wrong... :rolleyes:

They were just backing warlords who kept on slaughtering innocent ppl just to get their own gain.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/16/AR2006051601625.html
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Drewski
Again, that's not what the question is asking. It doesn't specify a timeframe.

Of course it does. When people talk about world peace they mean world peace today. Not world peace 5000 years in the past or 5000 years in the future.
Original post by radicalboujie
They were just backing warlords who kept on slaughtering innocent ppl just to get their own gain.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/16/AR2006051601625.html
Posted from TSR Mobile

Backing warlords?

Interesting take on that.

Wonder why they pulled out so quickly after sustaining casualties.

What was pakistans reason for being in Somalia?
Reply 52
The U.S. seems to be getting quite a bit of negative rep even though it was peace maker in ww2 and peace keeper in Europe post ww2

Your idea of peacekeeping is dropping nuclear bombs on innocent civilians, killing thousands of lives?
Far right and far left ideology. Communism in particular has killed more people through war, famine and genocide than any other ideology could dream of.

Less of a threat nowadays, of course, but with the still slightly Communist North Korea threatening thermonuclear war every weekend, I'm not sure it's completely irrelevant.
Reply 54
Greed.
Original post by Viridiana
Well Spain colonized a lot of countries, killed tens of thousands of people, destroyed countless cultures? Colonized South America, fought wars with the UK, the US, France, fought a lot of internal wars, occupied Belgium & Holland and limited the religious freedom of the people of those regions. My Spanish history teacher says (may be an urban legend but it says something I guess) that up to this day when Dutch mothers want to scare their children into going to sleep, they say "shhh or the Spanish will come for you" :P

Agree about the threats you've mentioned though, I live in Poland and I get putinophobia every time a plane flies near my house and in the March-July period when the Ukraine deal was tenser everyone was very afraid around here. I also know (or my friends know) some Ukranians who live here - Ukranian men are afraid to go back there to visit their relatives because allegedly they try to get every male they see into the army :/

Whilst Ukraine is the most obvious situation, it may have shocked you that I mentioned Greece. I have several reasons for this so I'm going to break it down

1. They have elected an anti-austerity party which is against the cuts the EU have imposed on them, and Germany is pretty peed off about this.
2. The new party is sympathetic towards Russia
3. Greece is a NATO and an EU country, but as a result of point 2, I read an article today which said Russia is considering giving Greece money to pay off their bailout. This could be problematic for the West.
4. Take Golden Dawn into account. They are the far right party in Greece and are fairly well known internationally. The Syriza party who have just won, are a leftist government. With the Russian offer, I can see some parallels with the situation in Ukraine before the protests started back in November 2013. I hope I'm wrong on that.
Whilst Ukraine is the most obvious situation, it may have shocked you that I mentioned Greece. I have several reasons for this so I'm going to break it down

1. They have elected an anti-austerity party which is against the cuts the EU have imposed on them, and Germany is pretty peed off about this.
2. The new party is sympathetic towards Russia
3. Greece is a NATO and an EU country, but as a result of point 2, I read an article today which said Russia is considering giving Greece money to pay off their bailout. This could be problematic for the West.
4. Take Golden Dawn into account. They are the far right party in Greece and are fairly well known internationally. The Syriza party who have just won, are a leftist government. With the Russian offer, I can see some parallels with the situation in Ukraine before the protests started back in November 2013. I hope I'm wrong on that.

I don't think, however, that Greeks would like to be in with Russia, I mean they are so close to ex Yugoslavia and know what kind of "wealth" going Russian brings...?
Original post by JakiaC
Your idea of peacekeeping is dropping nuclear bombs on innocent civilians, killing thousands of lives?

You may want To brush up on your history of ww2 a little bit.

Try reading up about operation downfall.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
During the Cold War i'd have said the USA and USSR in equal measure. Both were expansionist and served their interests to the point that the US fired on a ship transporting British buses to Cuba and screwed us at Suez.

Since the Cold War, Islam has been the greatest threat to world police (or rather Islamic terrorists). Today that still stands however Russia's actions are forcing a chain of events which could lead to proxy wars breaking out.

The two biggest state sponsors of terrorism today are Saudi Arabia and Iran. Saudi Arabia are one of the most treasured allies of the U.S. and without being flooded with U.S. money and U.S. weapons it would not be able to export terrorism on the mass scale it does today. The current regime in Iran came to power after the overthrow of a brutal regime instilled by a British and U.S. coop. The largest terror group in the world exists in the power vacuum left the U.S. and the UK went to war there inorder to protect their economic interests. We could also go into the Zionism, the single biggest cause of tension in the ME and a huge recruitmet tool for Islamic terrorist groups.
Original post by DaveSmith99
Of course it does. When people talk about world peace they mean world peace today. Not world peace 5000 years in the past or 5000 years in the future.

That's pure assumption on your part.

I hear a question like that and I think throughout the entirety of the world's existence.

If the question said "who's the biggest threat to world peace today?" then I would answer differently.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending