Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Dying Light has now been released to us all! :woo: I don't have it yet though. :sad:

The reviews of this zombie apocalypse free running game haven't been quite as good as I was expecting, but it seems to rate well. I might wait for somewhere doing it a bit cheaper.

Review: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...g-light-review

Is anyone here playing it / planning on getting it? If so, what are you playing it on and what do you think to it?

ReputationRep:
    (Very) Brief review:

I've been playing it for a while now. It's very good mechanically, but falls short of amazing. It feels like a cross between Dead Island and Day Z with some Ubisoft and strangely some Souls elements put in. It has a pretty watered down story (as expected), but where it really shines is the combat. The combat is similar to Dark Souls. You swing enemies and conserve your stamina while occasionally dodging the stronger enemies. The durability of weapons is really low. A few whacks to the head and even the best wrench will get broken. The missions are a huge let down. For the first few hours, you are the errand boy of the game, consisting of go here pick x run back or go here observe that (you get the picture). However, the gameplay elements are enough to somewhat dispel the dread you feel when a new mission is picked. Bugs are present, but not as much as I was expecting. There are a few gamebreaking bugs (stuck in ceiling etc.) but these are rare and not enough to ruin the experience. I have not tried multiplayer much, so I can't comment on it.

Overall: 7/10

ReputationRep:
    I've never understood why weapons sometimes have such a low durability in games, it makes no sense. Like a wrench made of solid metal would break after copping someone over the head a few times :lol:

I suppose it adds to the survivability factor, but at least make it kind of realistic! I could understand a pool cue breaking after a few shots, but not something that's solid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    I've never understood why weapons sometimes have such a low durability in games, it makes no sense. Like a wrench made of solid metal would break after copping someone over the head a few times :lol:

I suppose it adds to the survivability factor, but at least make it kind of realistic! I could understand a pool cue breaking after a few shots, but not something that's solid.
    The more annoying thing is that the weapons have a set repair amount as well, meaning it becomes an absolute chore to go around repairing and crafting. It comes to the point where there is no point to crafting anything until your weapon fully breaks and dismantle it.

ReputationRep:
    played games 4-5hrs and tbh not even had much combat i just try and evade the zombies isnt that the aim?

and combat seemed crap stand on spot and hit on head etc

ill be looking forward to guns n stuff but heard the melee combat is better wtf

a game like this would be far better with crazy weapons big chainsaws...fire machetes....electric shooting rods...then for guns huge flamethrowers, rpgs, mines, etc...that would be so much fun setting traps and killing all the zombies in crazy ways...melee attack so boring so far

ReputationRep:
    Necrooooooooo! I'm disappointed that this is pretty much the only thread on Dying Light on here.

(Original post by Fango_Jett)
    The more annoying thing is that the weapons have a set repair amount as well, meaning it becomes an absolute chore to go around repairing and crafting. It comes to the point where there is no point to crafting anything until your weapon fully breaks and dismantle it.
    I didn't have the game when I posted my initial comment but I've been playing it for a couple of months now, The Following and all (just beat the Bozak Horde, god damn that was frustrating. Now I have to try and shave 6 minutes off of my time in order to get the Exploding Arrows, y tho), and it's so annoying having to change up weapons every half hour or so because they don't stop breaking.

Did you enjoy the game overall despite the annoying weapon breaks? Have you played the DLC for it?

(Original post by musicola)
    a game like this would be far better with crazy weapons big chainsaws...fire machetes....electric shooting rods...then for guns huge flamethrowers, rpgs, mines, etc...that would be so much fun setting traps and killing all the zombies in crazy ways...melee attack so boring so far
    You probably don't post on here any more, but on the off-chance that you do: you can get Blueprints that allow you to create weapons with Elemental effects (fire, electric, toxic, freezing), you can create DIY grenades and Tramp Bombs and stuff, most of which also have optional Elemental abilities, and in the DLC you drive around in a buggy that allows you to drop mines behind you when you're being chased. You can also have a shock cage over it, and a flamethrower attachment.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.