Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ok so love maths and physics and am taking the at A level along with chemistry and economics
    besides the point, what do you think the best sector for engineering, to get into.

I'm particularly interested in mechanical engineering, can anyone explain what you actually do in it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Tommy1499)
    ok so love maths and physics and am taking the at A level along with chemistry and economics
    besides the point, what do you think the best sector for engineering, to get into.

I'm particularly interested in mechanical engineering, can anyone explain what you actually do in it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There isn't really a "best" sector to go into as it depends on what kind of work you want to go into. I'm in oil & gas, which is good if you like working on big industrial projects with large budgets but not so good if you're interested in mass manufacturing or aviation, for example.

I did mechanical engineering and it involves a few key things.

Things that move, like various machinery, e.g. engines, pumps, gears, etc.

Things that do not move, which is basically structural engineering.

Fluids, heat transfer and thermodynamics. This includes things like aerodynamics of wings, fluid flowing through pipes, heat exchangers and heaters, etc.

You'll also cover a bit of electrical, electronics, instrumentation and controls too, although not to as much depth as you will in electrical engineering.

Lastly, I think you should try and do further maths if you can in lieu of economics since that's not really relevant for engineering. Further maths will help a lot when it comes to much of the maths classes as you'll have already covered a fair bit of the material.

ReputationRep:
    Mechanical Engineering is a relation between physics and maths and is mostly related to machines, their nature and the material
    It's about finding out how a machine works, what laws it has to obey and what rules it needs to follow to function properly. It's basically about how force pressure and the environment they are given can be manipulated in order to carry out a function like how a fan works and how a car works.
    If you have completed GCSE in Physics and recall the chapter 'Pressure' then you learned a bit of mechanical engineering too since in that chapter there a section which tells about pressure in liquids and also demonstrates how the brake in a car works. This is basically mechanical engineering but it's more complicated and has a lot of math but it's really interesting

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.