Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been wanting to get into game development for a while. There are so many options available but I'd like one that is simple to grasp. Does anyone have any ideas? And does anyone know a website where people like myself and talk and come up with ideas for games?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I researched a bit on this topic myself, and most sites recommended unity for game development.

or you can even try out RPG maker VI . Don't know how to answer the second question

ReputationRep:
    Unity or Unreal Engine (UDK or UE4).

As for meeting fellow developers, try searching for a forum based around the topic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raysorb)
    I researched a bit on this topic myself, and most sites recommended unity for game development.

or you can even try out RPG maker VI . Don't know how to answer the second question
    I remember seeing a link to a website for people wanting to collaborate on making games. But I can't recall what it was called. So annoying ha ha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Moonlight)
    I remember seeing a link to a website for people wanting to collaborate on making games. But I can't recall what it was called. So annoying ha ha.
    Man, when my exams get over, I'm planning to dedicate 6 months into a software. Most probably it's gonna be unity. But how do you plan on learning the software?

ReputationRep:
    Man, when my exams get over, I'm planning to dedicate 6 months into a software. Most probably it's gonna be unity. But how do you plan on learning the software?
    The good old YouTube tutorials. At least I hope there are some. Playing about an experimenting is another technique I might use. Just need to come up with more ideas first.

ReputationRep:
    You realise that game development involves writing code, right? Not just learning to use existing software?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planto)
    You realise that game development involves writing code, right? Not just learning to use existing software?
    Ofcourse mate, i'm quite well familiar with Java, C++ and in the process of learning python

ReputationRep:
    Ofcourse mate, i'm quite well familiar with Java, C++ and in the process of learning python
    How did you go about learning to do coding?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Moonlight)
    How did you go about learning to do coding?
    I learnt C++ , HTML, Java in school. Will try to learn Python through net tutorials

ReputationRep:
    You might want to check out visual studio 2013 community edition. Free unrestricted visual studio.

ReputationRep:
    It depends a lot on what sort of game you'd like to make. There are plenty of great games made in Twine, for example.

ReputationRep:
    GameMaker obvs? Why even ask!
    :mario:

ReputationRep:
    If you'd like to start with something simple then I suggest HTML5 Canvas and JS game creation. That will also allow you to improve your programming in Javascript. Once you've done that move on to using a Javascript library or engine. I've created a few games using ImpactJS and its a very good engine that gives you a level creator as well.

As with any software, you need to understand it to use it effectively. Whilst I think some of those above who've offered advice are doing so with good intentions jumping into those without developing games elsewhere first is not really the right thing to do. As you said, start simple and build up from there when you feel comfortable.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.