Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Unsure about my career options. Not enjoying the PGCE. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am half-way through my PGCE in Primary Ed and am just feeling extremely forlorn and confused about whether I even want to be a teacher anymore. I started the course with so much enthusiasm, but I feel like it's just been squashed out of me. My first placement has been an absolute dream, so I can't even blame that, and I do enjoy the teaching too, but for some reason I just have this really depressed and unhappy feeling in the pit of my stomach all the time.

I've always been really keen on educational research and the prospect of educational psychology and I absolutely LOVED doing 2 research-based dissertations in my final year. Initially, I wanted to do an MA in ed research, but financially it wasn't an option, so due to the fact that I have a CertTESOL qualification and lots of teaching experience both in the UK and abroad, it seemed a no brainer to do a PGCE and go from there. However, I just feel more and more like I'm in the wrong career and that it's just not for me. I know it sounds really snobby and I don't mean it at all like this... but I got my first degree and over the three years I gained such a strong skill set and worked so hard, and I just feel like I'm wasting all of that. I know that sounds terrible, but I just feel like a lot of the skills I developed are not being used and I'm not really being stimulated like I used to be.

I don't know whether I should plug through my NQT year and see how I feel... but another part of me thinks maybe I should start looking for some research assistant posts perhaps? I just feel like I'm trapped in something that just doesn't feel ME. I don't really know what my options are and whether I have to do my NQT year straightaway or my PGCE becomes invalid.

I am very confused and need some advice!!!! Help!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evapixie)
    I am half-way through my PGCE in Primary Ed and am just feeling extremely forlorn and confused about whether I even want to be a teacher anymore. I started the course with so much enthusiasm, but I feel like it's just been squashed out of me. My first placement has been an absolute dream, so I can't even blame that, and I do enjoy the teaching too, but for some reason I just have this really depressed and unhappy feeling in the pit of my stomach all the time.

I've always been really keen on educational research and the prospect of educational psychology and I absolutely LOVED doing 2 research-based dissertations in my final year. Initially, I wanted to do an MA in ed research, but financially it wasn't an option, so due to the fact that I have a CertTESOL qualification and lots of teaching experience both in the UK and abroad, it seemed a no brainer to do a PGCE and go from there. However, I just feel more and more like I'm in the wrong career and that it's just not for me. I know it sounds really snobby and I don't mean it at all like this... but I got my first degree and over the three years I gained such a strong skill set and worked so hard, and I just feel like I'm wasting all of that. I know that sounds terrible, but I just feel like a lot of the skills I developed are not being used and I'm not really being stimulated like I used to be.

I don't know whether I should plug through my NQT year and see how I feel... but another part of me thinks maybe I should start looking for some research assistant posts perhaps? I just feel like I'm trapped in something that just doesn't feel ME. I don't really know what my options are and whether I have to do my NQT year straightaway or my PGCE becomes invalid.

I am very confused and need some advice!!!! Help!!!
    You have 5 years after you've completed your PGCE to do NQT.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.