Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    is my equation correct ? or there's no reaction for the alkyl hallide and the KCN in the picture?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilson dang)
    is my equation correct ? or there's no reaction for the alkyl hallide and the KCN in the picture?
    I'd say that the phenyl group would prevent this reaction from occurring. The carbon would not be sufficiently polarised to be attacked by the CN- nucleophile. The phenyl group would delocalise the positive charge produced by the more electronegative chlorine pulling electron density away from the carbon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by langlitz)
    I'd say that the phenyl group would prevent this reaction from occurring. The carbon would not be sufficiently polarised to be attacked by the CN- nucleophile. The phenyl group would delocalise the positive charge produced by the more electronegative chlorine pulling electron density away from the carbon.
    The one phenyl doesn't actually pose that much of a barrier - sterics isn't much of an issue for SN2 and pi donation actually stabilises the transition state. Solvent isn't ideal but cyanide is a good nucleophile so it's pretty reasonable to say a reaction would occur.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KombatWombat)
    The one phenyl doesn't actually pose that much of a barrier - sterics isn't much of an issue for SN2 and pi donation actually stabilises the transition state. Solvent isn't ideal but cyanide is a good nucleophile so it's pretty reasonable to say a reaction would occur.
    Actually after checking Clayden yeah you're right

ReputationRep:
    so the reaction above is feasible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilson dang)
    so the reaction above is feasible?
    Yes.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.