Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

So im in year 11 and i need to choose my A levels for next year. At the moment i'm planning on studying English lit and lang (combined) and Sociology. Could you tell me how hard these are and the workload if you know? Thanks

I'm really stuck on my third It's really between Geography or health and social care A level. I'm a fairly bright student and am predicted A's and a few B's throughout GCSE. I studied Geography A level and i find it really interesting and at the sixth form i've applied to, geography is in a really good campus in the centre of town, but i've read geography is really difficult with a huge work load? So im not sure whether to do it as all the work might get on top of me. My other option is health and social A level which interests me a lot with the placements and the modules, and i would also like to be a teacher when i'm older which i've heard helps? but its in a very dingy campus and ive been told by my teachers and parents that im "too good for health and social"

I really need some help as im so stuck

Thankyou so much for your time!
    Beth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BethCowley)
    Hi guys!

So im in year 11 and i need to choose my A levels for next year. At the moment i'm planning on studying English lit and lang (combined) and Sociology. Could you tell me how hard these are and the workload if you know? Thanks

I'm really stuck on my third It's really between Geography or health and social care A level. I'm a fairly bright student and am predicted A's and a few B's throughout GCSE. I studied Geography A level and i find it really interesting and at the sixth form i've applied to, geography is in a really good campus in the centre of town, but i've read geography is really difficult with a huge work load? So im not sure whether to do it as all the work might get on top of me. My other option is health and social A level which interests me a lot with the placements and the modules, and i would also like to be a teacher when i'm older which i've heard helps? but its in a very dingy campus and ive been told by my teachers and parents that im "too good for health and social"

I really need some help as im so stuck

Thankyou so much for your time!
    Beth
    I wouldn't worry too much about the workload of subjects, think about whether or not you enjoy actually doing the work and use that to decide what to take. For example, I hate essays, so I took all maths based subjects and I genuinely enjoy doing schoolwork now

But really, if you're predicted As and Bs and want to be a teacher, taking academic A levels in subjects that are taught across a wide range of ages is probably your best bet. There's a list of universities' preferred, less preferred and blacklisted subjects floating about somewhere on the internet, so I'd recommend tracking that down and having a read.

I'd also suggest that you not take Health and Social Care if you could do Geography instead, the latter is far more well thought of by unis.

In my experience, Psychology, Sociology, Media Studies and Health and Social seem to be the subjects taken most often by people who just managed to scrape the sixth form entrance requirements. No one I know who has the potential get into a good uni is taking more than one of those, their other two or three A levels are on the Russell group facilitating list (which you should look at too even if you're not thinking about those unis, as they set precedents for others to follow).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raineandfyre)
    I wouldn't worry too much about the workload of subjects, think about whether or not you enjoy actually doing the work and use that to decide what to take. For example, I hate essays, so I took all maths based subjects and I genuinely enjoy doing schoolwork now

But really, if you're predicted As and Bs and want to be a teacher, taking academic A levels in subjects that are taught across a wide range of ages is probably your best bet. There's a list of universities' preferred, less preferred and blacklisted subjects floating about somewhere on the internet, so I'd recommend tracking that down and having a read.

I'd also suggest that you not take Health and Social Care if you could do Geography instead, the latter is far more well thought of by unis.

In my experience, Psychology, Sociology, Media Studies and Health and Social seem to be the subjects taken most often by people who just managed to scrape the sixth form entrance requirements. No one I know who has the potential get into a good uni is taking more than one of those, their other two or three A levels are on the Russell group facilitating list (which you should look at too even if you're not thinking about those unis, as they set precedents for others to follow).

Thankyou so much!! Ill have a good look into geography, and i agree that health and social may be seen as a "soft subject"

Thankyou for the detailed reply!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BethCowley)
    Thankyou so much!! Ill have a good look into geography, and i agree that health and social may be seen as a "soft subject"

Thankyou for the detailed reply!!
    You're welcome

ReputationRep:
    I took sociology, psychology and media studies as well as maths at AS and have continued all of these on to A level. I got offers from 3 Russell Group Unis as well as UEA. Don't be too put off by how 'soft' a subject is, if it's something you really love do it.
    I would say try to limit yourself to 2 softer subjects and really look into what degree you want to do before making a final decision.
    In my experience you can do any uni degree and still go into teaching as long as you're willing to do extra work or stay on longer. Universities will often ask for 3 A levels so 2 strong subjects and a high grade softer subject may put you in a better position than a D or E in a harder subject...
    I'd say English from what I've heard is pretty hard and so is geography but sociology is okay if you put the time in. I don't know much of health and social but obviously if you can handle two harder subjects and get the grade you'd have a good shot at any decent university later on... hope that kind of helps :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanielleG96)
    I took sociology, psychology and media studies as well as maths at AS and have continued all of these on to A level. I got offers from 3 Russell Group Unis as well as UEA. Don't be too put off by how 'soft' a subject is, if it's something you really love do it.
    I would say try to limit yourself to 2 softer subjects and really look into what degree you want to do before making a final decision.
    In my experience you can do any uni degree and still go into teaching as long as you're willing to do extra work or stay on longer. Universities will often ask for 3 A levels so 2 strong subjects and a high grade softer subject may put you in a better position than a D or E in a harder subject...
    I'd say English from what I've heard is pretty hard and so is geography but sociology is okay if you put the time in. I don't know much of health and social but obviously if you can handle two harder subjects and get the grade you'd have a good shot at any decent university later on... hope that kind of helps :P
    Thankyou very much!! x

ReputationRep:
    As a health and social care sixth form student, i can say it may he regarded as soft but it's not !
    It would be good for you as you can get placemeets at primary schools and do your coursework on them which would be good to write in your PS and give valued experience before uni.
    It would also be good as it shows another skill I.e coursework and not just examined work

It just depends on where you are looking to apply to ??

Poll
Are you going to a Festival?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.