Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am just wondering what studying full time with the Open University is like?
    I have done two years part time (one year studying a 60 credit module and my current year which is two 30 credit modules). It is ok and although some thing are challenging academically, I have not had too much of an issue with organising it or getting it done. So I am asking if full time study is really stressful or hard or if there are any specific problems?
    I would be perfectly able to commit and time wouldn't really be an issue.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm currently studying 120 credits (full time) and it's certainly manageable! I don't work at the moment (just doing work experience) so I have a lot of spare time. I usually have to hand in 2-3 assignments every month, and the workload isn't too heavy. As long as you manage your time effectively alongside your job, it shouldn't be a problem at all. Saying that, it is my first year with the OU and the assignments are relatively straightforward. It all depends on your situation really Hope that helped!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply. Sorry I didn't acknowledge sooner, I don't seem to get notifications from this thread. Ah excellent, managing the time shouldn't be a problem. Need to get a few things in place then will likely go ahead with it. Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying my final year full-time alongside a full-time job, and somehow managing to find time to spend with the wife. I'd be lying if I said it were easy but if you're well-organised it won't be stressful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xforeverinfinite)
    Hey,

I'm currently studying 120 credits (full time) and it's certainly manageable! I don't work at the moment (just doing work experience) so I have a lot of spare time. I usually have to hand in 2-3 assignments every month, and the workload isn't too heavy. As long as you manage your time effectively alongside your job, it shouldn't be a problem at all. Saying that, it is my first year with the OU and the assignments are relatively straightforward. It all depends on your situation really Hope that helped!
    Hey, jumping onto this thread if you don't mind - I'm interested in studying with the OU too. And full-time! I wanted to know about the assessments actually, do you actually have to attend exams on certain dates? Like, going to a university or college and sitting in a room for an exam? Also, these 2-3 assessments per month, what kind of assessments are these then? Cos that sounds quite hard going. Also, what are you studying and with the view of doing what afterwards? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vagmorrison007)
    Hey, jumping onto this thread if you don't mind - I'm interested in studying with the OU too. And full-time! I wanted to know about the assessments actually, do you actually have to attend exams on certain dates? Like, going to a university or college and sitting in a room for an exam? Also, these 2-3 assessments per month, what kind of assessments are these then? Cos that sounds quite hard going. Also, what are you studying and with the view of doing what afterwards? Thanks.
    Hey, no worries It really depends on what you study and what modules you choose. I'm studying for the BA (Honours) in Business Studies. I'm assessed on my written assignments, which means no exams for me - only in my first year though! The assignments are not too bad, some easy some hard I guess. It also depends on what modules you choose - I'm doing 2 business and a psychology module, so some months I get 2-3 assignments, another may only be 1. I'm not entirely sure what I want to do in the future, as I said before I'm doing work experience in different areas to find out what really suits me. The flexibility is great, plus no classroom anxiety

ReputationRep:
    Hey, no worries It really depends on what you study and what modules you choose. I'm studying for the BA (Honours) in Business Studies. I'm assessed on my written assignments, which means no exams for me - only in my first year though! The assignments are not too bad, some easy some hard I guess. It also depends on what modules you choose - I'm doing 2 business and a psychology module, so some months I get 2-3 assignments, another may only be 1. I'm not entirely sure what I want to do in the future, as I said before I'm doing work experience in different areas to find out what really suits me. The flexibility is great, plus no classroom anxiety
    Hey, thanks for replying. Sounds quite good, another question then if you don't mind: what kind of assignments are they? I understand that it depends on the subjects, but are you doing all essays right now - if so, what are the word counts?

Also, would like to know how you submit your assignments and how/when you get your results from assignments? What does the online library have and do you get any study materials given to you? Appreciate your help!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thanks for replying. Sounds quite good, another question then if you don't mind: what kind of assignments are they? I understand that it depends on the subjects, but are you doing all essays right now - if so, what are the word counts?

Also, would like to know how you submit your assignments and how/when you get your results from assignments? What does the online library have and do you get any study materials given to you? Appreciate your help!
    It's mainly essay style questions, such as 'Discuss the particular effect of so and so' or it could be a project report, or researching something. The word counts vary from 1,000 - 2,500. You submit your assignments online, and it really depends on the tutor. I had a tutor who marked my assignment within a couple of days, and another tutor who took more than 2 weeks! Very frustrating. You get sent your textbooks, I have about 4-6 textbooks per module. I don't really use the online library. I just use information from the textbooks, when I do my assignments

ReputationRep:
    It's mainly essay style questions, such as 'Discuss the particular effect of so and so' or it could be a project report, or researching something. The word counts vary from 1,000 - 2,500. You submit your assignments online, and it really depends on the tutor. I had a tutor who marked my assignment within a couple of days, and another tutor who took more than 2 weeks! Very frustrating. You get sent your textbooks, I have about 4-6 textbooks per module. I don't really use the online library. I just use information from the textbooks, when I do my assignments
    That's great, but you're allowed to use other journals and books for your assignments too? I'm just used to reading really widely when I study, wondered if that was something you just don't do with OU. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    That's great, but you're allowed to use other journals and books for your assignments too? I'm just used to reading really widely when I study, wondered if that was something you just don't do with OU. Thank you.
    Yep, you definitely can use other books but I don't think its advised by the tutors, just make sure you reference the sources correctly.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, you definitely can use other books but I don't think its advised by the tutors, just make sure you reference the sources correctly.
    Okay, you've been a huge help - thanks very much! Good luck with your studies and deciding on a career path! x

ReputationRep:
    At level 1 it will say in the assignment whether they want you to use other resources. Otherwise it's a complete waste of time trying to find other sources (unless it's for personal interest and pleasure) because all the info you need is in the book. There's no extra credit (like at a 'normal' uni) for finding alternative sources.

I'm yet to study higher than level 1, but I imagine it changes when you get higher up. But they'll still direct you to likely other sources.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperCat007)
    At level 1 it will say in the assignment whether they want you to use other resources. Otherwise it's a complete waste of time trying to find other sources (unless it's for personal interest and pleasure) because all the info you need is in the book. There's no extra credit (like at a 'normal' uni) for finding alternative sources.

I'm yet to study higher than level 1, but I imagine it changes when you get higher up. But they'll still direct you to likely other sources.
    I see. I just remember that for essays at university last time that we had to ensure we referenced well and by that I mean varied and numerous references from a number of sources - lecturers weren't happy that you used only the core books mentioned in the book list given to you at the beginning of a module. If you did that, it would mean minimal marks because you didn't go out and further research the subject.

Another thing that I just thought of to ask - how often do you speak to a lecturer throughout the year. Are they easily accessible and how?

ReputationRep:
    I see. I just remember that for essays at university last time that we had to ensure we referenced well and by that I mean varied and numerous references from a number of sources - lecturers weren't happy that you used only the core books mentioned in the book list given to you at the beginning of a module. If you did that, it would mean minimal marks because you didn't go out and further research the subject.

Another thing that I just thought of to ask - how often do you speak to a lecturer throughout the year. Are they easily accessible and how?
    Not like that at level 1. The difficulty (in science at least) isn't much more than AS level and all the information you need is given to you, or you are directed towards. If you're doing it full time you really don't need to be wasting time looking for sources you don't need.

Contact with tutors (as they don't conduct lectures) is variable and depends on who you get. I got some really good ones who would email back the same day and some awful ones who didn't bother to reply at all. As a general rule they'll be helpful as long as you aren't taking the **** with the kind of questions you're asking, if you want to help yourself they'll normally be happy to help you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperCat007)
    Not like that at level 1. The difficulty (in science at least) isn't much more than AS level and all the information you need is given to you, or you are directed towards. If you're doing it full time you really don't need to be wasting time looking for sources you don't need.

Contact with tutors (as they don't conduct lectures) is variable and depends on who you get. I got some really good ones who would email back the same day and some awful ones who didn't bother to reply at all. As a general rule they'll be helpful as long as you aren't taking the **** with the kind of questions you're asking, if you want to help yourself they'll normally be happy to help you.
    Okay, well thanks very much for your replies - you've been really helpful x

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.