Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've got my test in a few days and just can't figure out if i have to put the handbrake on when waiting at lights as my instructor has not told me to do this.

If so, will i get a minor or major if i did it in a test?

I'm asking this question because everyone is giving me different answer and looking at previous post asking the same question its 50/50

Any help is appreciated thanks

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how long you're waiting for.

If you approach the traffic lights and the lights have just turned RED and you know you'll be waiting for a while (at least more than 3 seconds) then put on the handbrake.

However if you know the light is going to turn green soon, then don't bother.

I'd say general rule is to look for how long you'll be staying at the traffic lights, if it's going to take more than 3-5 seconds then put on handbrake.

ReputationRep:
    When I was learning, my instructor always said that if you had stopped for more than 3 seconds at traffic lights, put the handbrake on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thuvcasio)
    I've got my test in a few days and just can't figure out if i have to put the handbrake on when waiting at lights as my instructor has not told me to do this.

I'm asking this question because everyone is giving me different answer and looking at previous post asking the same question its 50/50

The answer to your question is: No it's not a driver fault (minor) or a serious fault (major). The handbrake is a tool; if it makes sense to you to use it, then use it! If not, then don't.

I've had pupils go for test and not use it - no faults recorded. I've had pupils go for test and use it - no faults recorded.

To be honest, if that is the biggest thing you have to worry about pre-test, then a lot of pupils would envy you.

Chill...

ReputationRep:
    If you want to put it on then put it on, if you don't then don't. Personally I put it on every time I stopped at the lights on my test, couple of times I probably didn't need it, but I prefer to put it on. My best friend practically forgot what the handbrake was on her test and never used it, but it made no difference. We've both passed the test and no examiner made any comment about our use of the handbrake, so it's entirely up to you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

How you get on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leesh22)
    How you get on?
    Got it tomorrow, had a lesson today went pretty bad, because of the nerves. Thanks for asking anyway.

And thanks a bunch for the help guys really cleared up the question and instructor clarified.

ReputationRep:
    Got it tomorrow, had a lesson today went pretty bad, because of the nerves. Thanks for asking anyway.

And thanks a bunch for the help guys really cleared up the question and instructor clarified.
    Good luck! i know how you feel as i took mine two weeks ago and i passed first time.
    Just keep calm and drive normally how you do in your lessons and you'll pass

Let me know how you get on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leesh22)
    Good luck! i know how you feel as i took mine two weeks ago and i passed first time.
    Just keep calm and drive normally how you do in your lessons and you'll pass

Let me know how you get on.
    failed with 2 serious, forgot to put it back into 1st gear and turned into road and stalled, he gave me 2 serious for that. Nerves do really affect your driving but i have learnt my lesson and there is nothing to be scared about.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    failed with 2 serious, forgot to put it back into 1st gear and turned into road and stalled, he gave me 2 serious for that. Nerves do really affect your driving but i have learnt my lesson and there is nothing to be scared about.
    I failed my test yesterday for the exact same reason - the examiner had to remind me to put it in first gear because I just kept stalling. Solidarity brother! :five:

Have you booked your next test? I think once you've been through it once the nerves won't be so bad the next time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    I failed my test yesterday for the exact same reason - the examiner had to remind me to put it in first gear because I just kept stalling. Solidarity brother! :five:

Have you booked your next test? I think once you've been through it once the nerves won't be so bad the next time
    Whilst you're breaking to a stop, you should try and shift down the gears - the engine braking will help you stop if nothing else. This means you'll be in (probably) 2nd whilst you reach a full stop. Once there, put it in to 1st.

If you're at a standstill for more than a few seconds, put it in to neutral and pop the handbrake on.

That should stop you forgetting first gear for the most part.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Whilst you're breaking to a stop, you should try and shift down the gears - the engine braking will help you stop if nothing else. This means you'll be in (probably) 2nd whilst you reach a full stop. Once there, put it in to 1st.

If you're at a standstill for more than a few seconds, put it in to neutral and pop the handbrake on.

They teach you not to shift down through the gears these days (apparently to lessen the amount of time your foot is on the clutch). I find that really difficult as growing up I was always taught to go down through the gears, and it's kind of embedded in my psyche. I prefer going through the gears because it gives you more freedom to change your mind about things... but alas no.

You're supposed to come to a complete stop and then put it in gear.

ReputationRep:

Yea bro in 2 weeks time looking for a cancellation, just kind of pissed off cause other than that was pretty good, I just am in disbelief I stalled anyway second time will hopefully better. Also i got the infamous strict examiner this time and heard a lot of complaints about him. He didn't even talk and was moody as ****.

What about you, are you going to take test asap or leave it for a while

(Original post by mikeyd85)

Thanks for the advice, i was taught not to shift down and this never has happened, not even once in learning to drive.

ReputationRep:
    They teach you not to shift down through the gears these days (apparently to lessen the amount of time your foot is on the clutch). I find that really difficult as growing up I was always taught to go down through the gears, and it's kind of embedded in my psyche. I prefer going through the gears because it gives you more freedom to change your mind about things... but alas no.

You shouldn't get marked down for going down through the gears.

I haven't long passed my test, but the coming to a stop and putting it in to gear doesn't seem right to me either.

depending on the situation it was usually slow down, clutch in, first gear whilst you roll to whatever line and stop or clutch up and go, or just hold it on the clutch.

But then everyone drives differently, and little bits like that shouldn't affect the marking on test anyway.

ReputationRep:
    That's quite harsh, gutted for you but keep going don't give up you'll pass soon.
    Nerves do affect your driving but you have to just treat it as like you were with your instructor as normal.

Good luck on your next test.

ReputationRep:

Lol, I've not long been passed and i was taught to down shift and use engine braking.

Weird. I'd have thought that always being in the right gear would be so much more beneficial than having less clutch work.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.