Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys!

I am now currently an 11th grade student who's willing to study Medicine, however the issue is that i'm a slow writer. What I mean be so is that, when I am given the opportunity to type my tests I always score 7s. Unfortunately enough, when I have to write the test with a pen; I score borderline 6s (1-2 marks off a 5). The issue is that i've been used to typing for all my life, which is most definitely the reason why i'm a slow writer. My questions is, do you guys know of any tips that can help me write quicker whilst maintaing the same calibre of writing when typing? I've been offered the opportunity to gain typing rights and type all my written exams, however it will most likely hinder and aggravate my chances of getting into Medicine in the UK, considering they're very picky with their applicants.

Any form of help would be highly appreciated,

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Wait, the only way you'll get permission to type your exams if its for some medical reason. Is that why your being allowed? If you're typing your exams for medical reasons I don't understand why you think unis will penalize you for such a minor thing. They honestly could care less - what has writing/typing got to do with medicine anyways?

Anyways, I've got the same problem. For some reason I produce better quality work in English when I type. But unlike you, I'm not slow when I right, I write at the same pace irrespective of whether I type or write (actually think I write by hand faster, my thoughts flow better). Honestly the one way you'll be able to improve is by PRACTICING. Just get into the habit of hand writing your essays and within no time the quality of your work will improve and you'll be writing at a faster pace. The key is practice, there isn't any magical ways/tips to improving, you need to put in the effort by only hand writing your essays - that is why my English teacher ALWAYS makes us hand-write our essays (and we're not allowed to type it up first and then copy it onto paper, its the same thing!).

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pbunny)
    Wait, the only way you'll get permission to type your exams if its for some medical reason. Is that why your being allowed? If you're typing your exams for medical reasons I don't understand why you think unis will penalize you for such a minor thing. They honestly could care less - what has writing/typing got to do with medicine anyways?

Anyways, I've got the same problem. For some reason I produce better quality work in English when I type. But unlike you, I'm not slow when I right, I write at the same pace irrespective of whether I type or write (actually think I write by hand faster, my thoughts flow better). Honestly the one way you'll be able to improve is by PRACTICING. Just get into the habit of hand writing your essays and within no time the quality of your work will improve and you'll be writing at a faster pace. The key is practice, there isn't any magical ways/tips to improving, you need to put in the effort by only hand writing your essays - that is why my English teacher ALWAYS makes us hand-write our essays (and we're not allowed to type it up first and then copy it onto paper, its the same thing!).

Good Luck!
    Thanks for the advice!

The reason why i'm preventing myself from taking any privileges such as extra time is because as a medic I will be forced to take decisions swiftly. Therefore, I wouldn't want to get into the habit of having extra time when making decisions and whatnot; making it somewhat of a propensity at such an early stage of my 'career'. It's for the better.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.