Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone give me some tips for speaking and listening exam in order to get an A*?​

ReputationRep:
    I got an A* in speaking and listening. The most important thing is to ask questions back. After the initial delivery just ask your teacher questions, steer the conversation in the direction you want it to go. Try to be calm and speak slowly and clearly. Have a lot of data and prepare answers to the questions you would expect to get. Do some background research on your topic if its anything fact related and do some other relevant research so you can escalate the discussion. This stuff got me an A* for the speaking and listening and I ended up with an A* for English Language overall.
    Another thing is - try to get practice with your teachers and ask them for feedback. I had about 6 mocks with different teachers and they gave me quite a bit of useful advice.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you that's really helpful.Im preparing for a mock exam on subject of
    something you dislike or something you admire.I was thinking of choosing the topic of war to talk about,would this be a good to do my speech about?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it would be great. I did my thing on mental illness, but basically you should just do it on something that you're passionate about, because you'll have more motivation to research it. Do it on something you care about or something controversial so you can build that level of discussion you need for A*. I know that a guy in my class did it on the Cold War. I don't think he did very well but he's not the brightest. As long as you manage to involve your teacher in your topic and make it into a two sided discussion then you're definitely set and should get the grade you want.
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olegasr)
    Yeah, it would be great. I did my thing on mental illness, but basically you should just do it on something that you're passionate about, because you'll have more motivation to research it. Do it on something you care about or something controversial so you can build that level of discussion you need for A*. I know that a guy in my class did it on the Cold War. I don't think he did very well but he's not the brightest. As long as you manage to involve your teacher in your topic and make it into a two sided discussion then you're definitely set and should get the grade you want.
    Good luck
    Hi I am doing the speaking and listening exam soon and I found your tips really helpful! I was wondering what you talked about in terms of mental illness (e.g. what were your discussion questions?), since I am interested in that topic as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pixiefuller)
    Hi I am doing the speaking and listening exam soon and I found your tips really helpful! I was wondering what you talked about in terms of mental illness (e.g. what were your discussion questions?), since I am interested in that topic as well
    I spoke about public perception towards people with mental illnesses and the stigma attached to it. I followed the stigma stuff up with media's portrayal of people with mental illness (my main examples were positive portrayals so for example Tony Stark/Iron Man; he has PTSD and still manages to save the world and that shows that even though people have mental illnesses - they can still be heroes). I talked quite a bit about the statistics and how it's a huge problem that needs to be solved (referred to disability-adjusted life years. Look into that, there's a lot of research on it and how they are affected by mental illness. There are also some TED talks on mental illness that were really useful in preparing the content and also just generally how to deliver a successful presentation.) The discussion questions were mainly about my own experiences (if I know anyone etc.). I was really lucky to be examined by a teacher who is heavily involved with mental illness stuff in our school so she had a lot of really good questions.

I hope this was useful

ReputationRep:
    I spoke about public perception towards people with mental illnesses and the stigma attached to it. I followed the stigma stuff up with media's portrayal of people with mental illness (my main examples were positive portrayals so for example Tony Stark/Iron Man; he has PTSD and still manages to save the world and that shows that even though people have mental illnesses - they can still be heroes). I talked quite a bit about the statistics and how it's a huge problem that needs to be solved (referred to disability-adjusted life years. Look into that, there's a lot of research on it and how they are affected by mental illness. There are also some TED talks on mental illness that were really useful in preparing the content and also just generally how to deliver a successful presentation.) The discussion questions were mainly about my own experiences (if I know anyone etc.). I was really lucky to be examined by a teacher who is heavily involved with mental illness stuff in our school so she had a lot of really good questions.

I hope this was useful
    Yes, that seems really interesting! Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shilshark)
    Hi, by the way did you mean that you should ask questions to the examiner because I thought you were only meant to answer the questions that the examiner asks you? Also if my topic is quite a silly hobby but I have alot of knowledge about it, will it affect my grade? For example if one person spoke about euthanasia and i talked about star wars
    Won't affect your grade at all. As long as you can start a discussion from it and talk in great detail about it. It honestly doesn't matter what your topic is as long as you can put on a good show. And yeah, you're only meant to answer the questions however I decided to turn it into a more of a discussion and asked the examiner some question which lead to a more fluent discussion and it worked out really well. If you have a mock speaking & listening exam then you should try out the whole asking questions thing and see how it goes. But don't ask many, I just asked one and that was enough.

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to get an A as the Overall Grade even if you got a D in the speaking and listening?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowLight)
    Can anyone give me some tips for speaking and listening exam in order to get an A*?​
    IGCSE ENGLISH LANUAGE 0522.

The highest mark is only A for S&L

ReputationRep:
    Good luck
    Our school doesn't allow mocks so Im not aware of the rules. Will the teacher actually respond to any questions you ask?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by layton1)
    Our school doesn't allow mocks so Im not aware of the rules. Will the teacher actually respond to any questions you ask?
    For me - the teacher did, which allowed for a more organic conversation, however some teachers might not like it. I think it really depends on the teacher. The "Q&A" bit is supposed to be a discussion and you can't really have a one sided discussion. Then again, things might have changed. It's been quite a while since I did my speaking and listening and GCSE's seem to have changed a lot. Your best bet is just to ask the teacher

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.