Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I understand that there are two types of ways proteins are used in the plasma membrane; channel and carrier proteins. What is the difference between the two? How do they both work?

Thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Carrier need energy (Active transport)
    Channel require no energy (Ions etc travel down concentration gradient).

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about the terminology you use for whatever level you're studying at, but aren't channel proteins a subtype of carrier proteins?

Proteins in the cell membrane (let alone any other plasma membrane) are far more diverse than just those two types though, so if that is your understanding I assume you are studying at a level where the answer is more exam board terminology than reality (don't take that the wrong way).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iAmanze)
    Carrier need energy (Active transport)
    Channel require no energy (Ions etc travel down concentration gradient).
    I know that, but are the types of molecules they allow through differ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rm_27)
    I know that, but are the types of molecules they allow through differ?
    some channels are water-filled (aquaporins) so this allows for large and/or polar, water-soluble molecules to pass through

carriers typically carry ions (charged molecules) through a membrane

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.