Arch & anth at Newnham Watch

xloz88x
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hello to all Newnham arch & anth hopefuls! I was wondering how many of us there are. Not many methinks. Anywho, are you all writing your essays? I have no idea which ones to do! And are any of you putting anything in the 'general' section of the supplementary questionnaire?

I'm not asking for help with the essays - I just want to see if anyone else out there is panicing as much as me!

Laura
epitome
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hey!
I'm not an Arch & Anther, but wanted to wish you luck (and send happy calming thoughts!). Enjoy the preparation if you can, and I hope your interview experience is a good one!

All best, E x
apearlfender
Report 12 years ago
Hello,

I'm not applying to Newnham but I am applying for Arch and Anth (at Clare) and one of the people interviewing me comes from Newnham. Anyway, just thought I'd say hey cause there aren't really many other Arch and Anthers on here. Good luck with your application.
apearlfender
Report 12 years ago
Oh, and I didn't put anything in the General box...I'd said pretty much everything I wanted to say.
epitome
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
xloz88x, if you'd like to be put in touch with a 1st year Arch & Anther at Newnham (who last year frequented these boards), let me know. I'll ask her if it's okay and pass on her email address.
xloz88x
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
epitome, that would be brilliant, thank you! I get the feeling that arch & anth Newnhamites are rare creatures.
epitome
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Okay, bear with me...and watch your PMs!
epitome
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There we go. PM just for you! Hope it's helpful.
anjali**
Report 12 years ago
hey! me! me! I'm applying for arch&anth at Newnham! I stumbled across this site by way of your posting while looking for info about what on earth an arch&anth interview is like - at 2 in the morning! gah. Because I've been up writing my archaeology essay. Finished the social anthropology one and then went braindead and couldn't decide which arch essay to do. Haven't even looked at the forms yet. Feeling slightly panicky as I have to get it all done and send it off pretty soon and I work in the afternoons and all day Saturday. (It's my gap yr, got 2 jobs, trying to earn money...it mostly goes on old records though I try to save money for travel and a camera...desperate for somewhere warm!. ( have lived in India for the past ten years...)) anyway, it would be great to talk to you. So glad I've found someone in the same boat! Hope we both get in...have you heard from any other unis yet? Where else have you applied? Why newnham, by the way?
anyway...I guess I should go to bed now..so I can get up early and write that essay...
anjali**
Report 12 years ago
can I have that e-mail address too?
anjali**
Report 12 years ago
so does anyone know what the interview's like? I've seem videos about english interviews and maths interviews and science interviews...but they don't really give me an idea of what on earth they'll ask you in an arch&anth interview...
epitome
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hey anjali**!
So many questions. Yes, I'll PM you Johanna's address. Do remember, though, that she is a student - she can't tell you very much *definitively* (like the vast majority of us on here), and she will not answer anything that might give you an unfair advantage. (So she won't tell you the favourite chocolates of the interviewers! )
Do be sensible about what you're asking, therefore!

Also: don't worry too much (any of you) what the intervierws will be "like". Other than general structure (which you've seen in the videos, it seems), they are unpredictable and completely different. They are a *discussion* and exploration, and can take unexpected turns...or can be fairly predictable. You really shouldn't worry about them (easier said than done, I know) - you can't really prepare for them.
Interviews really CAN be fun, and do try and develop that attitude/hope - I've spoken to a fair few people in the last couple of weeks, and loads of them have said that their interviews rank in the "top Cambridge experiences"! Weird! (I loved mine, too).

Don't be too afriad of the unknown, guys. Take it as it comes - you're all perfectly able to do so.
FadedJade
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Im neither at Newnham or do ArchAnth (although the guy across my corridor does). Just be sure you know why you want to apply for that subjet as apparently a lot of people are actually better suited to other subjects from what they say at interview. I know my mate had to convince them he didnt actually want to study theology. Just a general point that applies to all subjects but I've heard it said mor eoften about ArchAnth for some reason!
Vivien_K
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Heya, i'm an Arch n Anth applicant, but at Corpus I left the general section of my questionnaire blank as I really couldn't think of anything vaguely relevant to add.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.84%
No - but I will (114)
7.83%
No - I don't want to (102)
7.01%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (689)
47.32%

Watched Threads