Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I saw a post like this a few weeks back but just wanted to really get it off my chest and some perspective. I just feel really awful.

So basically a couple of weeks back I was rejected from Oxford post-interview. I was really disappointed (obvs) but my interview hadn't been great, mostly because I was a nervous wreck.

I have an offer from UCL but the problem is that I only really applied there because it was one of the best in the country. The course is nice but while patient contact is good, and the systems-based way of learning seems to make sense, it's not a must for me. I don't even know what sort of learning I'd like. Which is why I'm wondering whether I'll actually be that happy there.

It's also coupled with the fact that I've had friends and known people who got accepted into Oxbridge for Medicine. And I can't help but wonder whether I should have gone and applied for Cambridge (who accept more people) instead of listening to others and applying for Oxford (because I thought I'd stand a better chance, not really considering the fact that interview is possible more important there). It's added to this feeling of doubt when people who (and I know this sounds bad but truthfully) aren't as clever academically got into Cambridge. And while they do deserve their place, and clearly have potential, it's a case of 'why not me'?

That's all basically boiled down over the last few weeks to this post. I just really want to know your opinion. Should I give up my offer from UCL this year and apply to Cambridge next year? For reference, at GCSEs I got 10A* and 1 A and my AS UMS (best three) was 92.5%. My BMAT averaged 6, 6, 3A this year. I just can't help but feel absolutely awful about this and wonder whether I'll always regret it.

Has anyone ever reapplied and gotten an offer from Oxbridge after a rejection before?

Please help with any advice you have.

ReputationRep:
    Just be happy you got a place for medicine at still at one of the top universities, So what if you never got into oxbridge but your still in the top 10 universities, I know many people who would kill for your place, i got a few friends who got rejected from all medical schools and are now reapplying even though they got like 3A*, I think go with UCL, with courses like medicine it doesn't matter what university you get your degree from as it doesn't affect your job prospects and UCL has very good facilities and teaching standards.

If you got into medicine your clever, end off, you have to be to be able to cope with the workload (my cousins in her third year at Leeds University).

I think you might regret reapplying and losing your place as you never know, what if you don't get a place next time round as theres many people as smart as you applying every year for limited places.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Hehe15)
    I saw a post like this a few weeks back but just wanted to really get it off my chest and some perspective. I just feel really awful.

So basically a couple of weeks back I was rejected from Oxford post-interview. I was really disappointed (obvs) but my interview hadn't been great, mostly because I was a nervous wreck.

I have an offer from UCL but the problem is that I only really applied there because it was one of the best in the country. The course is nice but while patient contact is good, and the systems-based way of learning seems to make sense, it's not a must for me. I don't even know what sort of learning I'd like. Which is why I'm wondering whether I'll actually be that happy there.

It's also coupled with the fact that I've had friends and known people who got accepted into Oxbridge for Medicine. And I can't help but wonder whether I should have gone and applied for Cambridge (who accept more people) instead of listening to others and applying for Oxford (because I thought I'd stand a better chance, not really considering the fact that interview is possible more important there). It's added to this feeling of doubt when people who (and I know this sounds bad but truthfully) aren't as clever academically got into Cambridge. And while they do deserve their place, and clearly have potential, it's a case of 'why not me'?

That's all basically boiled down over the last few weeks to this post. I just really want to know your opinion. Should I give up my offer from UCL this year and apply to Cambridge next year? For reference, at GCSEs I got 10A* and 1 A and my AS UMS (best three) was 92.5%. My BMAT averaged 6, 6, 3A this year. I just can't help but feel absolutely awful about this and wonder whether I'll always regret it.

Has anyone ever reapplied and gotten an offer from Oxbridge after a rejection before?

There will always be a what if. What if you do get into Cambridge next year and absolutely hate it and you'll wonder what if I went to UCL.

There is also the possibility of not getting in anywhere next year and you'll regret not taking the UCL.

Why is it you want to go to Oxford so bad? Is it their course? Is it the surroundings? Is it the prestige (which btw doesn't matter in the slightest for medicine). Or is it you're used to being the 'clever one' who really should have gotten into Oxford?

I suggest you have a little break before you make any decisions. The applications process is extremely stressful and not all that conducive to making decisions. You've done really well to get into UCL and the likelihood is that you would love your time there and not regret a thing. And if you reapply aiming for Cambridge there is no guarantee you'll get in, nor that you'll actually enjoy it any more than UCL and you'll have given up a place for it.

If it's a case of people judging you for not getting into Oxford... Well f them!! You got into a highly competitive degree which is more than most medicine applicants can say. You're growing up, it's time to start shaping your future on what YOU actually WANT to do rather than what others say or think you should do or what you think others would want you to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think most of this is hurt pride. Give it some time, then do the sensible thing and go to UCL. I had a great time at Oxford and would thoroughly encourage an application, but not to someone in your circumstance. Medicine is the important thing here - its literally your entire life's direction we're talking about vs some subtle differences for 6 years. The university is very much secondary here.

I don't think the level of patient contact will be significantly different at UCL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hehe15)

'Has anyone ever reapplied and gotten an offer from Oxbridge after a rejection before?' - Yes, though equally some get rejected twice.

When Oxford is inundated with candidates of such high quality, and that number has been cut down even further by the interview shortlisting, the difference between those accepted and those rejected is often very small. Such differences are judged on the basis of interviews which may or may not be completely representative of how the person interviewed would actually perform when/if they get there.

It is by no means a perfect system, but the interview process is necessary to get some idea of how the candidate might perform in the tutorial system. Some very bright students simply do not suit this method of learning. They try and take account of nerves, but they cannot guess how you would perform without them, and therefore any candidate who performs better and is less nervous will still hold an edge over you (assuming equivalent grades).

Not getting into Oxford does not make you in some way inadequate. You may well be very clever and, under different circumstances, have got in.

Your ums score average is good, though for the really competitive courses like Medicine and Economics there will be people with higher. If you apply post A-level, the total ums will be looked at, so be sure to score strongly at A2 if you want to apply there.

UCL is an extremely good university for Medicine, I'd just take it in the case that next year you miss out on both Cambridge and UCL.

Feel free to PM me as I have more information on reapplying.

ReputationRep:
    Medicine at Cambridge is the highest competitive course at the worlds second best university. The average UMS of the succesful applicant is 95%, the BMAT is significantly higher and unlike Oxford you'll need A*A*A.

You're implying that its easier to get into Cambridge when in fact, although they may make more offers - a hell of a lot more people don't reach their targets/or are thrown off of the course.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm just trying to give you a little reality check - I think you should go to UCL, its a superb place with a brilliant course.

No matter what you do I wish you the best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    The people above have pretty much summed it up but to reiterate, I think it'd be silly not accepting UCL. It's a great uni with an amazing reputation for biomedical research (seems to be in the news more than Oxbridge) and to be honest, when you're applying for foundation year courses, you'd rather be in a uni which you can do well in than just getting into Oxford by the skin of your teeth and struggling and coming bottom of that quartile.

To be honest it seems that you didn't really apply to Oxford for the right reasons either - you seem to be (and please don't take offence) someone who has always been near the top and so applied to Oxford for those reasons. Therefore it's better that Oxford rejected you now than to get an offer, get pressured into taking it, hating it and struggling for at least 3 years and struggling with the intense workload and possibly be kicked off the course (has happened before). Or even getting the offer and not meeting the grades.

Just remember that Oxbridge don't necessarily take the best students. They take the students who, under the circumstances, they consider to be best for their course. It may have been luck that you didn't get in, nerves or just them making a mistake. But forget them and move on. I'm sure in a few months, when you're reflecting on this, you'll be much more rational without that hurt feeling.

So to summarise, reiterating what nexttime said, it does seem to be hurt pride. Just be proud you got an interview and had a realistic chance at applying for Oxford. It really doesn't matter where you go for Medicine. Good luck with whatever you do.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I completely understand where you are coming from, save from the fact I was pressured into Cambridge but chose Oxford instead. In retrospect, I would have regretted not staying true to myself. Luckily I have gotten over it,(it gets better, don't worry), and am partially relieved to have the option of a different course structure - was it the course/style you liked, or were you telling yourself that it was what you wanted? It is a very fine line & is easily blurred.

Why do you want to go to Oxbridge? You really have to ask yourself, do you really want to go to Cambridge - 6 years in one small town, a seemingly never ending workload, and incredibly short terms? (This was the main thing for me)
    I'm in no position to say which is better, Oxbridge is better for some, but the opportunity to study in London looks great after a time. Remember, you still have your other choices and university experience is what you make it.

If you can deal with re-applying for Medicine, I admire you greatly - it looks like an arduous task, but you wouldn't be able to apply to UCL again, and as many others have said, there is the risk of getting no offers. Although it doesn't feel like it now, getting an offer for Medicine is a fantastic achievement!

It is Oxford's loss - good luck!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.