Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I currently study Popular Music at a University, but I am having doubts about if its right for me..
    I was thinking of transferring to a Conservatoire instead, however I have a few concerns.

I am a guitarist, and have achieved all my performance and theory grades up to diploma standard, so its safe to say I know my stuff and I can play. I'm interested in the popular music side of things of course, after all, I'm a guitar player so its natural to me. However I really desperately want to do classical composition too as I do a lot of it independently and maybe end up as a composer or something.

SO, heres my problem.

I'm on a popular music course which doesn't have any performance element (which has always been my strong point, achieving great success in the past). The people on my course aren't of the same performance standard and don't have much/any theory knowledge, so it feels very much to me like I'm in the wrong place, yet I love the studio production and business sides of things on my course..
    If I were at a conservatoire I'd be able to be surrounded by musicians of the same level and knowledge, and get to study composition as I desperately want to, HOWEVER, I'd completely lose the popular music side of things in terms of studio production (or at least as far as I'd know) which I don't want to do.

I've looked at the RNCM pop course, and am unsure about it since I feel any popular music course at a conservatoire or university is usually more snubbed than 'traditional' music degrees. But without sounding arrogant, I feel like a blue whale in a tiny pond here. Plus there aren't many connections I can make since Im not in a big city, which really doesn't help.

Anybody got any suggestions? You'd really, REALLY help.
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.