The Student Room Group

english language coursework help!!!!

well we are starting our english coursework and the question is to write a story and relate it to a colour
i am completly out of ideas.
and how are we meant to make the colour obvious?by putting subliminal messages of the colour throughout the story!!
First of all, I would suggest sorting out your SPAG (Spelling, punctuation and grammar). If you write like you have in your thread, marks will drop like flies.

Please elaborate... Have you got to describe an idea?

For example, green, this could symbolize nature and peace. Use metaphors, hyperboles, similies and other linguistic features.

Again, DO NOT forget the basics. Accurate spelling, correct punctuation. Make sure you paragraph correctly as structure will also gain you marks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by abrack
First of all, I would suggest sorting out your SPAG (Spelling punctuation and grammar). If you write like you have in your thread, marks will drop like flies.

Please elaborate... Have you got to describe an idea?

For example, green, this could symbolize nature and peace. Use metaphors, hyperboles, similies and other linguistic features.

Do you mind helping me with my english coursework?
Original post by Zeetingman
Do you mind helping me with my english coursework?

I'll try. :smile:

What is the coursework based on? Is it language or literature?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by abrack
I'll try. :smile:

It's basically a speech based on Of Mice and Men.
You have to persuade the jury that either George is innocent or guilty of killing Lenny
Heres a glimpse of my work I don't wanna show you all of it just give me advise on how to make it better or certain words I should use instead of the other word. This is in my opinion my best paragraph
It's basically a speech based on Of Mice and Men.
You have to persuade the jury that either George is innocent or guilty of killing Lenny
Heres a glimpse of my work I don't wanna show you all of it just give me advise on how to make it better or certain words I should use instead of the other word. This is in my opinion my best paragraph

Well that paragraph is very well written in my opinion. There are one or two minor errors with punctuation, I'll let you figure that out for yourself.

If I recall, Lenny actually feels Curley's wife's hair, as well as her dress. She screams and it goes on...

If you have not already written, you may want to consider including that in George's defense, George kills Lenny out of compassion, before the other mean at the ranch have the opportunity to kill him, where they would do much more brutal things than shoot him. We're talking about being string up, stoned etc.. A rough time in history.

Although in these times, women had little rights, they still had some and if a man raped a woman there would be serious consequences as I'm sure you're aware.

In your paragraph, you write "Of course you would be upset. This is rape." It would be better to use and ellipsis here, to build suspence to a valuable point.

You also talk about a mental asylum for Lenny. There would be no such thing as we are talking about the late 1800's, so this sort of healthcare in the US particularly would have been a luxury and not for working class, again backing up the point that what George did was an act of kindness to prevent any to further mishaps occurring.

Hope this helps. :smile:

Most people seem to hate Of Mice and Men, but in my opinion it is a great play. My favourite in which we have studied.
Original post by abrack
Well that paragraph is very well written in my opinion. There are one or two minor errors with punctuation, I'll let you figure that out for yourself.

If I recall, Lenny actually feels Curley's wife's hair, as well as her dress. She screams and it goes on...

If you have not already written, you may want to consider including that in George's defense, George kills Lenny out of compassion, before the other mean at the ranch have the opportunity to kill him, where they would do much more brutal things than shoot him. We're talking about being string up, stoned etc.. A rough time in history.

Although in these times, women had little rights, they still had some and if a man raped a woman there would be serious consequences as I'm sure you're aware.

In your paragraph, you write "Of course you would be upset. This is rape." It would be better to use and ellipsis here, to build suspence to a valuable point.

You also talk about a mental asylum for Lenny. There would be no such thing as we are talking about the late 1800's, so this sort of healthcare in the US particularly would have been a luxury and not for working class, again backing up the point that what George did was an act of kindness to prevent any to further mishaps occurring.

Hope this helps. :smile:

Most people seem to hate Of Mice and Men, but in my opinion it is a great play. My favourite in which we have studied.

I'm not sure what you mean by ellipsis can you explain that in a little more detail btw its the 1930's.
I'm not sure what you mean by ellipsis can you explain that in a little more detail btw its the 1930's.

My mistake.

An ellipsis is just simply ...

So you could write, "Of course you would be upset... This is rape."

You should use a mix of punctuation marks including commas, fullstops, ellipsis, question and exclamation marks, quotes, the list goes on... I'm srpure you have done, but ensure to have 5 or so different punctuation marks, this will secure some marks for you. :smile:
Original post by abrack
My mistake.

An ellipsis is just simply ...

So you could write, "Of course you would be upset... This is rape."

You should use a mix of punctuation marks including commas, fullstops, ellipsis, question and exclamation marks, quotes, the list goes on... I'm srpure you have done, but ensure to have 5 or so different punctuation marks, this will secure some marks for you. :smile:

Alright thanks i'll be trying this.

Quick Reply

Latest