Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it possible to be an A* student and still get enough sleep??? watch

ReputationRep:
    Personally I have found that it is very hard to get enough sleep and stay on top of all my work as there seems like there's just always something that needs doing. last year in my GCSE mocks I got significantly more sleep than i did in my recent sets of mocks. However in my recent mocks, through many late nights, i only managed to improve in 4 subjects and the rest of my marks dropped. Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    Yes if the subject is RE. I cannot revise for RE and still get an A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameehannah)
    Personally I have found that it is very hard to get enough sleep and stay on top of all my work as there seems like there's just always something that needs doing. last year in my GCSE mocks I got significantly more sleep than i did in my recent sets of mocks. However in my recent mocks, through many late nights, i only managed to improve in 4 subjects and the rest of my marks dropped. Any thoughts?
    Yes, very possible.

Source: Myself

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    read this

http://www.buzzfeed.com/carolynkylst...first-nap-time

and whats the point on revising if you can't remember it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flibber)
    Was your board Edexcel? My RE teacher was talking about how the department chose OCR since he claimed that Edexcel's RE exams/specification are so straightfoward that they can be covered in 3 lessons.
    'U WAS RIGHT'
    Ya it was Edexcel Religion and Life its too easy.
    I just watched videos when revising and still got an A* and that was about 2 days before the exams. We also did an exam where the teacher didn't even tell us we had an exam and still got an A*.
    It's just one of those subjects that you find its a waste of your time because its too easy. Lel

ReputationRep:
    What are the questions like?
    What is meant by cohabitation?
    2 marks

Explain how marrige is important in the Roman Catholic Church.
    Easy stuff like that ;P

ReputationRep:
    It is not reasonable at all to expect yourself to work so hard. I personally don't think there's any point in doing work in the evenings Monday to Friday. If you are going to do work/revision do it in the weekend.

ReputationRep:
    Just do all your homework then do loads of cramming at the end. It's about working smarter, not harder. Take a step back, take some time to organise everything. As bad as it sounds, at this level you really don't have to worry about learning the subjects, just learn the exams. Past papers are (for non-essay subjects at least) not as useful as mark schemes for improving your mark. Once you've read a few mark schemes (after doing practice exams), you'll know exactly how they want you to answer each questions. Think about the most efficient way to spend your time rather than just putting more time into it. Your brain quite simply won't remember stuff you revise too far away from the exams too, so if you must insist on doing extra work more than 2 or so months before the exams, make sure it's technique practice or something else which will you won't forget. There's not much work required for GCSEs to be honest, unless you want there to be

ReputationRep:
    So you didn't need to learn about the stuff required in OCR like theodicies, ideas advocated by different philosophers, moral systems, ethical scenarios (e.g. abortion, euthanasia, animal rights, war) etc?
    We did do Abortion and euthanasia but the exam questions on them are the same explain why most Christians disagree with blah blah blah.
    We don't do any philosophy stuff. My class is mixed ability and even the lower ability pupils managed to get an A or A*.
    I got 95% of the paper correct...I wonder how much more difficult OCR is lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeetingman)
    We did do Abortion and euthanasia but the exam questions on them are the same explain why most Christians disagree with blah blah blah.
    We don't do any philosophy stuff. My class is mixed ability and even the lower ability pupils managed to get an A or A*.
    I got 95% of the paper correct...I wonder how much more difficult OCR is lol.
    The OCR specification is as vague as you can possibly get but have a look:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/77316-u...e-specimen.pdf

ReputationRep:
    especially at GCSE level it is

ReputationRep:
    The OCR specification is as vague as you can possibly get but have a look:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/77316-u...e-specimen.pdf
    Kind of seems easy. Apart from the e questions which require more revision. I think what Edexcel do is throw out easy questions then give you a short amount of time to complete it. You get an 1 hour and 30 minutes. Then theres loads of the questions. But I can still get an A even if I completed half the paper. My teacher even says that I need to be less specific when i'm doing easy questions because I tend to brag lol.

ReputationRep:
    Well... firstly, some people find time management easier than others. Some people also have more of a natural ability to learn things that school teaches so can learn it in less time.

Also, depends on the subjects and what level you are studying and how well the teachers have taught you. Also how much homework you get haha.

Basically, it all depends. I found it quite easy to get to bed at 9:30 during GCSE years and still get pretty good grades. But I know if my circumstances were different I could have been someone who studies until 11:00 at night and still gets Cs and Bs.

ReputationRep:
    Loool, if you're losing sleep for GCSE's then you're doing it wrong tbh. You can literally revise the night before (or morning of exam) for a GCSE exam and still get an A*. You're going to find A-levels and university hell! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I managed 9-10 hours a night during my GCSE's just fine and came out with 10 A*/A grades. In fact, if I hadn't taken GCSE art I think I would have done even better because that took up a lot of time. AS levels have proved a different story, however...if it's not because of the massive work load it's because I watch far too much Netflix to unwind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeetingman)
    Kind of seems easy. Apart from the e questions which require more revision. I think what Edexcel do is throw out easy questions then give you a short amount of time to complete it. You get an 1 hour and 30 minutes. Then theres loads of the questions. But I can still get an A even if I completed half the paper. My teacher even says that I need to be less specific when i'm doing easy questions because I tend to brag lol.
    Here's what I had to write in my mocks to give you how painfully for your hand it is to write answers for OCR RS papers in 1 hour:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...841&highlight=

ReputationRep:
    Heres my exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

• Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Try to plan out revision so that you don't end up cramming at night, so you could start earlier in the day/start revision earlier? It is possible for that :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it wasn't until developing my current Internet addiction during late AS Levels I developed sleep problems. Keep focused and motivated, stay positive and everything will work out fine

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.