Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    Doing a piece of written work on this, want to make it around 2~ typed pages, so perhaps, I don't know, 1000 words? Not sure how many words fit on a page. This is for a sixth form application, currently doing GCSEs, but as I can't find anything on this for GCSE level...

Tell me everything you know about the slowing of cellular metabolism due to hypothermia, the sub-topics within this like ATP production, etc, as well as the details of how it is used in various types of surgery and to what effect. Would also like to know about potential risks of such a dangerous surgery and the likelihood of these risks occurring - so is it worth it (assume it is, but want to back this up with figures).

Cheers in advance to anyone who can help! Any level information really as long as it's related.

swagbrahx69
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Do your own research, libraries/google are a good place to start

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    Do your own research, libraries/google are a good place to start
    Wow! Hadn't considered working by myself, will hop on it. Thanks for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swagbrahx69)
    Tell me everything you know about9
    No, that's not how this works. Ask us specific questions about what you don't get, bring us a problem you need help working through, ask for advice pointing to good resources. Don't demand people give you everything on a plate.

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friar Chris)
    No, that's not how this works. Ask us specific questions about what you don't get, bring us a problem you need help working through, ask for advice pointing to good resources. Don't demand people give you everything on a plate.

Spoiler:
    Show

Sure, fair enough.

When this source - http://www.nature.com/jcbfm/journal/.../9591399a.html - says that ATP breakdown is affected more than its synthesis, what do they mean? I gather that by synthesis, they mean the glycosis reaction - at least I think so - but where in the ATP 'cycle' is it broken down? How does this happen, and why does hypothermia affect the breakdown? Is it perhaps (guessing here) because oxygen is required to break it down? If so, what's the reaction for the breakdown?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by swagbrahx69)
    . Would also like to know about potential risks of such a dangerous surgery and the likelihood of these risks occurring - so is it worth it (assume it is, but want to back this up with figures).
    Given that this is done for very few procedures, I'm going to say it generally ISN'T worth it.

From what perspective are you going to do this essay? A clinical perspective would need you to look at what specific procedures this has been trialled for, under what circumstances including how they monitored the patient etc, and then what happened.

A biological perspective would be very different. You could look at sources not limited to surgery to see what happens to the body during hypothermia. You do need to know what ATP is, how it is used and how it is made - it sounds like you do not know that at the moment.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.