Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Offer from Imperial College for Risk Management and Financial Engineering watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Btw I mean "Masters in Financial Engineering" whenever I use MFE.

So I'm a final year undergraduate student at the University of Manchester and I've just secured a place with Imperial College for the MSc in RMFE. I have just under 4 weeks to accept this offer and pay the deposit which is close to 5000 USD. I am waiting on a decision from Columbia for the MFE and I haven't applied to any other universities as of yet.

I am partial to an MFE in the USA, partly because of the career prospects and headhunting. But I have heard that an RMFE at Imperial gives me a very high chance of getting a job in London. Although after more research, I'm not so confident about this opinion anymore, thinking I might 'need' an MFE to secure a job as a trader/quantitative analyst, given that I am an international student.

Is anyone with some experience able to tell me about the reputation of Imperial College in the USA and whether it would be foolish to reject my Imperial offer and apply to Baruch, NYU and Cornell/Rutgers or alternatively wait on Columbia?

Thanks a lot in advance lads!

ReputationRep:
    Are you American? I think it depends on where you aim to work after graduation - if you want to work in the US, study there; if you want to work in the UK, study there. Proximity to the City/Wall St. makes it easier for networking/on-campus recruiting. If you plan to work in the UK, Imperial should serve you just as well as, if not better than, those US schools on your list.

Random anecdote - went to an open day at Imperial, and one of the MSc students there mentioned Imperial RMFE is quite reputable for quant roles in the Bay Area/LA.

ReputationRep:
    I'm Sri Lankan. But I can't see myself studying anywhere other than the states or UK. Do you think this changes things?

And thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    In my (limited) expeirience the best quant jobs still go to PhDs from top institutions, MFEs are more likely to get put into back office quant work like risk. This might be less true for grads from the absolute top MFE programs (eg Columbia) but in general I wouldnt get an MFE expecting to get a front office quant job afterwards..

ReputationRep:
    hi: congratulations! when did you get the offer? two days ago? I am still waiting for the results.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.