Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Up until 18 i felt my life was pretty fulfilled. I did 6th form, and once i left full time education to do a part time degree, i feel like I havent achieved much. its been 5 years and soon il be graduating, but I havent achieved much, I dont feel fulfilled. I have had a part time job, no serious relationships, havent done anything amazing, travelling, etc. I just feel pretty rubbish and feel thats 5 years of my life wasted. I look back and think about all the things i wanted to do/got exited about, and i havent done any of them hardly and now i feel life passing me by, very quickly. . Does anyone else feel like this? Or am i succombing to pressures of what society thinks I should be doing/ getting too involved/worked up over what others appear to be doing/done with their lives? Do most try and make there lives look more fulfilled than they actually are? Its getting me down. Thoughts please.

ReputationRep:
    Marry me :moon:

Jk I have the same maladaptive-perfectionist-***-depressive-type neurosis as yourself. It's not nice is it.

inb4 ubiquitous quote 'stop comparing your behind the scenes to everybody else's highlight reel'

ReputationRep:
    You might have wasted a couple of years! I don't know - you do. Why not do something fun now though, like travelling around the world?

ReputationRep:
    Its true I am a perfectionist, and it can make me depressed. Ah I love that quote! it is really good, never heard it before. Ah, its hard though :\ Makes me feel like Im not good enough/need to change. As im a perfectionist I pick at flaws of myself, and concentrate on them, badly! argh. what is life.

Id love to go travelling, but Im in this part time job now :\ and although i get a bit of time off, i wouldnt know who to go with, ive had some unreliable friends that have let me down so much.

ReputationRep:
    Quit then! You've been working for 5 years, surely you must have enough to have some fun?

ReputationRep:
    I havent saved. I spend quite a bit of money. Money isnt the real issue here. I have ocd perfectionism. Apparantly this means Im prone to regret,worry,depression, not feeling good enough, criticising others, Procrastinating. I want to be perfect, and i dont like feeling that way. I dont like making mistakes, which makes me not take leaps into the unknown or just take a chance/ do something new. terrible really.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to travel the world, study medicine and have a very handsome boyfriend to fell succesful. The truth is that life is not like this even though we see this stereotype of succes everywhere. Even the most beautiful person, the coolest couple and the smartest person you may know hasn't got a perfect life, they may fell ugly, argue and fail sometimes. So don't worry to much, I'm pretty sure that during this time you've meet really good friends and if you liked what you studied don't mind it is a part degree, you've succeed.You've succeed to me, just for being who you are and accept your insecurities. Keep in mind your life and even mine is not perfect I sometimes don't feel fulfilled too.

Ps: Don't worry about guys too much, you will find the one who matches you when you less expect it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.