Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It's 3 years old. Has new speakers and a printer. That's it.

It's AMDuron (or AMD Duron) 800MHz with 64 RAM and 18G/6 Free.

It is as slow as anything. How can I speed it up? Cheap-like? I've been told more RAM is expensive yet I need more RAM. How much? Tell me how crap my comp is. I need suggestions.

ReputationRep:
    Not a whole new computer!?!??!?

My uncle has a 512MB thing with 80GB of space and a separated drive with 17G of music. I just want my computer to run more than one program at a time! (exaggeration, but not far from the truth).

How much is RAM and how much more should I get? I'm pretty sure it's m'ordinateur. It's a male noun, but you put an apostrophe there so the language flows when you say it. Mon ordinateur doesnt sound right. Anyway, help with the RAM please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Quixote)
    Not a whole new computer!?!??!?

My uncle has a 512MB thing with 80GB of space and a separated drive with 17G of music. I just want my computer to run more than one program at a time! (exaggeration, but not far from the truth).

How much is RAM and how much more should I get? I'm pretty sure it's m'ordinateur. It's a male noun, but you put an apostrophe there so the language flows when you say it. Mon ordinateur doesnt sound right. Anyway, help with the RAM please.
    You might try changing the chip you have..that might boost the processing speed...but you'd have to check whether or not the new chip would be supported by the motherboard you have.

Check out PC world...they regularly have offers going on RAM.

Btw- i think it's mon ordinateur as well....

G

ReputationRep:
    whoa...not pc world.

Try www.dabs.com www.aria.co.uk www.ebuyer.co.uk (although ebuyers CS is crappy).

800MHz is fine for office apps etc. Add more ram- 256 is about £30ish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Quixote)
    It's 3 years old. Has new speakers and a printer. That's it.

It's AMDuron (or AMD Duron) 800MHz with 64 RAM and 18G/6 Free.

It is as slow as anything. How can I speed it up? Cheap-like? I've been told more RAM is expensive yet I need more RAM. How much? Tell me how crap my comp is. I need suggestions.
    Well, I would recommend getting a whole new computer. You can pick up a good budget computer for maybe £200.

ReputationRep:
    It is definitely "mon ordinateur". Even feminine words, which "ordinateur" isn't, take "mon" if they start with a vowel.

I too recommend the "new computer" route, it's not expensive these days.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 13, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.