Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I have been given the option to drop French and am unsure what to do. I'm in year 11, with all A* and A predictions apart from French.
    I am very dyslexic and struggle with anxiety/confidence so found the controlled assessments near to impossible meaning I have to re take 2writing and one speaking, I also find listening exams ridiculously tough. I am not sure I can cope with the stress of three more CAs along with all other revision and work I need to do so really do want to drop French but am worried about the consequences that may arise if I do.
    If I drop French I will have 10 GCSEs and if I gain/exceed my predictions I will still have a point score of 7+. Will this be enough to get in to a sixth form and will universitys accept me if I do not have an MFL GCSE? Are 10 gcses enough?
    All advice is greatly appreciated as this itself is causing me great stress and need to decide ASAP!

thank you

10 is enough but unfortunately after Maths, English and Science, languages are becoming quite important and there's a lot of limitations it'd bring if you dropped it. UCL for example asks for a C in a GCSE language for all courses.

Really, it's likely you'll find yourself in a position where you need it one day. Stick it out.

Maybe ask your French teacher for extra help after school?
    I have anxiety too and I'm dreading my speaking assessment,try practicing in front of the mirror or to your pet if you have one (sounds stupid, but it helps bc you're talking to someone and they can't judge you)
    As for listening? It takes some getting used to,but try watching youtube videos or listening to podcasts. French music can help a lot as well (try KYO,Stromae or Tal). Try to stick to listening, it gets easier the more you practice.
    However,if all else fails and it's stressing you out too much, drop it. An extra GCSE isn't worth you risking your health for. As long as you do good in the other subjects,you'll be fine!
What's the best type of cheese?
Useful resources

Study tools

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.