Do you agree every possible career is boring?

Watch
Rugar Rell
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I mean who really would find investment banking enjoyable.. some might say being a programmer is fun and they enjoy coding but in the real world it's very stressful and stress can't be enjoyable. So to conclude this academic article everyone on here is destined to be corporate slaves in white collar industries. You may even land a job paying 80k but if you think it won't cause you unbelievable stress you are wrong. And all those things you but with your money will be here rotting away and people will forget you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
NotSaturn
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well, get a job you enjoy then....

I doubt many astronauts or fighter pilots find there job boring.

Any job can be enjoyable by the right person.
redferry
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That is hardly every possible job you've covered there...

I mean I'm getting paid to go to Kenya and dart and collar African Wild Dogs. I wouldn't call that boring...
Bobbi!
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not boring but stressful. I think most people would rather win the lottery, i mean it's all very well and good getting a job you enjoy, but I think there are bad parts to every job and that's why you get paid to do them. There are always going to be days where you would rather stay in bed/ see your family/ do something else but you have to go to work for the money.
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
lol "academic article".
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What academic article?

and no. Stressful potentially, boring not a chance, if you find what you're doing interesting, it doesn't matter how stressful it is, you'll still enjoy it.
AlexF389
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm waiting for acceptance into the RAF, (as an Air Traffic Controller), yes it's stressful, yes it will be hard work, but I love the idea of all that. Always aimed to end up with a job that I love! ...a job that you don't enjoy just seems like a waste to me..
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A lot of people enjoy a bit of stress, just a case of matching your stress tolerance to your job.
Nuclear Ghost
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I want to be a physicist more than anything, conducting my own research and inspiring the next generation of scientists. Any other job is insufficient, and yes, boring.
Maid Marian
Report 6 years ago
Working with children is never boring.
subject1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rugar Rell)
I mean who really would find investment banking enjoyable.. some might say being a programmer is fun and they enjoy coding but in the real world it's very stressful and stress can't be enjoyable. So to conclude this academic article everyone on here is destined to be corporate slaves in white collar industries. You may even land a job paying 80k but if you think it won't cause you unbelievable stress you are wrong. And all those things you but with your money will be here rotting away and people will forget you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
More interesting than being on the dole for the rest of your life and gaining ten stone :P

If you don't have a good career how will you get the money to enjoy yourself?
lucaf
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Every job will have boring parts and stressful parts to it, but that doesn't mean it is boring in general.
username402722
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I disagree. There are many jobs I expect that for those in them there is enjoyment and satisfaction. In a work environment there can also be the enjoyment you find with some of the people you work with, some of whom can become friends.
EnolaGay
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Everything can turn boring, if you're doing the same job for a long time. But then you gotta remember how awesome it is, and what got you to want it in the first place. Turns out, you gotta love what you do. Simple. Won't be boring at all.
EnolaGay
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by AlexF389)
I'm waiting for acceptance into the RAF, (as an Air Traffic Controller), yes it's stressful, yes it will be hard work, but I love the idea of all that. Always aimed to end up with a job that I love! ...a job that you don't enjoy just seems like a waste to me..
Amazing! I wish you all the best mate!!
Philbert
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Even the most exciting jobs are going to have boring and repetitive elements. It's about finding something that you enjoy on the whole. Feeling like you're wasting your time in your job is a horrible feeling.
Odd socks
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by redferry)
That is hardly every possible job you've covered there...

I mean I'm getting paid to go to Kenya and dart and collar African Wild Dogs. I wouldn't call that boring...
wow that sounds amazing :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
redferry
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Odd socks)
wow that sounds amazing :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well a lot of it is data analysis but don't tell OP that
HarryDn
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
y'all toasting in a roll bread
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The job and career always starts out enjoyable because people have a view which borders on 'fantasy not reality.

Stress is manageable for a time, if you are in control. When things get out of hand for prolonged periods is when the toll is paid. Everything is fine until you start moving up the 'tree' to earn a higher salary and the job changes out of all recognition with your boss demanding you do things his way or no way or personalities clash and tensions arise.

The job that you start with early in a career will never stay the same for very long - guaranteed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (55)
22.54%
Excited but a bit nervous (111)
45.49%
Not bothered either way (33)
13.52%
I'm really nervous (45)
18.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise