A Level Geography/French Watch

This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hi there.
I've just finished my GCSE's (Well one Media exam left...) and am consider my options for A Level, I've decided on:
Law
Media Studies
English Literature

But I'm undecided about my final options. I originally chose French, but Geography is tempting me. I enjoy both.
Does anyone have any advice on either subjects? Or how you found one/both of them?

Cheers.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I really enjoyed French at A Level. Last year, I found it quite hard at first, but that was mainly because we weren't really taught grammar properly at my secondary school. It got easier and was my favourite subject, this year too. You get to learn quite a bit about French culture, society, etc (I don't think we did that much at GCSE.. can't really remember).. it's a nice subject to do.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
depends on what grades you need. French is harder and will take up more time than geography but French is probably the most rewarding.
Forders
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
French was well hard, ive just finished my last exam, geog's easy to do well in but you do have to do q a bit of work throughout the year.

u have to work harder in french to get a good grade but i still wouldnt go back, french was my best subject, it was loads of fun and opens loads of doors.

ul find it easier to learn other languages after as well

xxx
rowei
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
A language at A-level would look better on your CV than an A-level in geography. Well that's my opinion anyway....
CBLMillwall
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
That's what I thought, and I have a genuine interest in French.

If I get an A I'll definetly do French, if it's a B then we'll see...particularly as I hope to get an A in Geography.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
A Level french is more than just learning a language, I learnt alot about politics and life in general I think, and made me aware of ethical issues, eg we've looked at cloning & genetic modification. It's good for making you aware in english, as well as giving you a second language. It's loads more fun at A level then at GCSE, because its not just predictable "what you did this/last/next weekend!". Definitely worth doing!
rowei
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hope you get your A in French. Good luck.
CBLMillwall
Report 16 years ago
Thanks rowei.

Just weird now that it's nearly all over I can't do anything about it...and have so long to wait for the results.
LittleMissSmile
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
weird, i had that exact same problem last yr! do french, gives u loads opportunites in the future, looks gr8 on cv etc, and at uni u can do it as part of ur course for sum degrees and itll b easy for u, and u can do exchanges and socrates and work abroad and...
do french! even if u get a b!

plus as year is sinch - jus learn loads bout the country.im rubbish at written - grammar etc,but was enthusiastic so got an A. tis gr8!
gud luck
x
CBLMillwall
Report 16 years ago
Cheers for the advice. I think I'll do French as I do enjoy it and it opens up a lot of oppurtunites. Saw that at Uni, like you said, it can be combined with a lot of courses.

I was told though that the step up is quite big, with grammar having to be very good etc? I know it's a lot more about the culture but by what you say the step up isn't massive? My careers adviser also said it was a very hard option...

You don't know how Law is do you?
LittleMissSmile
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
no clue bout law! @ uni do u mean or as an a-level? not an opiton at my small schul!
but yeh do french, it is a handful but definitely doable (if i can do it - u can) specially since u do engli lit like me, its all bout bein creative open to ideas etc. and seriously dont worry bout the grammar - trust me its all that enthusiasm and vague knowledge bout france which ull get loads of info for!

bonne chance xxxx
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
A-level geography is wonderfully easy, if you are taking a bunch of "hard" subjects it might be a welcome respite

Law a-level is pointless and doesnt advantage you at all for getting into a law degree
rowei
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The level of grammar expected at A-level is quite a bit higher than GCSE, but it gets easier over time. Why don't you have a look at an A-level Study Guide to see what is expected? The more you practise the easier you'll find it. If you need any help, let me know and I'll do my best to help. Bonne chance!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by rowei
The more you practise the easier you'll find it.
This is true.
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
A-level geography is wonderfully easy, if you are taking a bunch of "hard" subjects it might be a welcome respite
A Level Geography, can be easy, and the main reason that I took it was to take it as an AS simply because of the field trip, however, so much did I enjoy it, and despise Physics that I continued it to A2, dropping Physics.

At A2, the Geography doesn't get any more difficult, it is the type of answer that they are looking for that does.

AS is very structured, similar to GCSE, A2 however expects essay style answers, and more value is put on Quality of Written Communication.

My unregistered collegue tells the truth though, if you want a respite from some of the more tougher subjects, most of which can be identified by their use of an equals sign, then take Geography.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Personally i found geography very easy and not much of a step forward from GCSE and i would recommend it to anybody, however it is a personal choice and differs from person to person.
But i have heard from ppl who got a similar grade to me (A) in french that A-level french is tough and takes up a helluva lot of time, and if ure a lazy gimp like me that means it aint an option! But saying that - they all worked hard and last year got A's and B's in French!
Grapefruit Lady
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I found French my easiest subject - it takes up hardly any time during the week, and not much revision is required for the exams, apart from the bit you do for the oral. Which is never as bad as you think it will be (the oral, that is). But if it is, there's always the chance to resit during A2, by which time your French will have improved and you will therefore be guaranteed a better grade than at AS - some people in my class went up by 2 grades when they resat their oral (although this could have been partly due to crap markig at AS).

If you get the choice, do the coursework at A2, not the Literature. Unless you really really really love French Literature, and writing essays about things that you wouldn't know how to answer in English, don't do it. It's pants and a waste of a year, and doing the coursework will help your oral.

The grammar is a harder than at GCSE, but there aren't any set bits you have to use, like avant de and apres avoir. Plus you go always go back to them at different points during the course.

Do French - it's superfantasticlovelyjubbly.
CBLMillwall
Report 16 years ago
Thanks for the advice.
I've finished all my GCSE exams now, and have decided to drop Law and taken Geography instead next year. Going into school to change it tomorrow. Although Law might be interesting I enjoy Geography, and I have no real interest in becoming a lawyer.
So looks like its:
English Literature
Media Studies
Geography
French
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Even if you wanted to do law at university, you wouldn't need it at AS or A Level.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (38)
14.67%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (37)
14.29%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (54)
20.85%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (98)
37.84%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (14)
5.41%
No particular grades needed (18)
6.95%