Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

URGENT! A small piece of french grammar im confused with help please :( watch

ReputationRep:
    So i have my french speaking like literally on monday and heres my problem:

My original sentence said : 'je mange tres rarement de la restauration rapide'

but i couldnt pronounce 'rarement' so she changed the sentence to ' je mange tres peu de restauration rapide' - so she got rid of the 'la'

but i want to change it back to rarement because i can pronounce it now but would it still be 'de restauration' or would it be 'de la restauration'

please someone (of a high understanding of french) help me

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I do French at degree level so hopefully I'll be able to help a little bit

'Très peu' refers to a quantity, so therefore you would keep the preposition as 'de' if you were to use that sentence. It's like 'beaucoup de' can never be followed by 'de la' or 'du'. If you want to say 'rarement', keep it as 'de la restauration', because I do believe that there's nothing indicating a quantity here, as it is more referring to the frequency of the action.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naomi2121)
    So i have my french speaking like literally on monday and heres my problem:

My original sentence said : 'je mange tres rarement de la restauration rapide'

but i couldnt pronounce 'rarement' so she changed the sentence to ' je mange tres peu de restauration rapide' - so she got rid of the 'la'

but i want to change it back to rarement because i can pronounce it now but would it still be 'de restauration' or would it be 'de la restauration'

please someone (of a high understanding of french) help me
    Rstauration rapide is principally used as a subject, it looks a bit awkward in your case. I would rather describe what/where you don't often eat.

ex:
    Je ne vais pas souvent manger dans les fast-foods.
    Je ne mange pas souvent des sandwichs.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.