Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Did PE at school put you off sport and working out? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking at the moment how much PE put me off sports at school and working out in general. PE probably put me off exercise and demotivated me to actually do something for a long long time. All PE brings memory of is failure, football outside in the cold, cold gym halls, lots and lots of bulling from the school 'jocks'. The teams always were unfair too. It was always popular kids and kids good at PE vs the fatties, geeks, nerds and other outcasts. The problem looking at now was most times the guys who need help are kicked to the kerb and it's only the kids who are good at sports who are given attention. We were also always playing football! It was only in my twenties that I started slowly getting into actually working out and taking part in sports. Now I'm in the gym all the time to change my life.

Did PE destroy sports and working out for anyone else? I think if PE lessons were better I might be in better shape at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely hated it!

But now i love it as i have a personal trainer and he's fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it did. Because the teacher was only interested in the sporty girls, and the sporty girls were all show-off, bullying cows. Therefore, PE was never all that much fun for the fat kid, lol.

ReputationRep:
    It was quite fun in year 10/11 when we could choose the sport we did and not have to play stupid hockey in the freezing cold!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I enjoyed it.

Made a nice change from sitting at a desk, had lots of games and competitions etc i.e. things that would be considered 'fun' in any other class.

I'm sure lots have bad memories, but to be honest I'd be surprised if the net effect was to reduce exercise in later life. It introduces the concept of doing sport and keeping fit and that sometimes it can be hard but that's part of it... I think without that your only inspiration to get off your ass at all would be parents, and lets face it, some parents are not going to be helping in that department!

One thing I would say though in hindsight is that PE kit seems like it often really wasn't appropriate for winter. If i were exercising now I'd have a base layer, hat, gloves, maybe a hoodie until i was warmed up, consider trousers rather than shorts. Back then we were shorts and rugby shirt no matter what!

ReputationRep:
    I hated it. It was cold, the teachers were dicks, it was almost never something I wanted to do, too much social **** in picking teams, didn't really want to be getting sweaty then shower in the middle of the day, teacher never really believed I had knee problems and was arsey about it, I was self-conscious about what we had to wear/getting changed etc. etc. etc.

PE isn't easy to teach cause by high school age most kids don't want to do it but there really has to be ways to do it better than the average is now. It is part of why I got almost no exercise for years and I imagine lots of people never do start exercising where as PE should be facilitating folk finding something they enjoy ding so will stick at

ReputationRep:
    I hated it. While I haven't touched sports since, I've always got plenty of exercise as I like to go out walking.

I hated it because I was awful at it, and PE is probably the hardest subject to improve in if you're bad at it. I hated going out on the field when it was freezing cold in winter. I hated the ridicule and bullying I got for doing things wrong and "letting the team down". I also hated how when I finally started to get the hang of something, it was time to do a different sport for the rest of the term and I was starting from square 1 again. I especially hated having to do swimming in year 7 and 8 - I couldn't swim (I still can't).

It got better in year 9 when we started being allowed to choose which activities to do. I would always choose an indoor one in the winter and an outdoor one in the summer. And I could avoid football and rugby.

ReputationRep:
    I was always quite fit at school, I ran long distance and played hockey... however I still hated PE lessons, you only ended up with like 20 minutes by the time you got outside, the teams were always unfair, the chavvy kids would push people around and the teachers were too scared to challenge them, you'd have to do sports you didn't like and using crappy equipment

ReputationRep:
    I loved it, but I can see where you're coming from. Our PE teacher basically pushed people to the side who didn't play for the school team.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I like PE (I'm in Y10). I liked it more in KS3 because more people tried and I was with my form so there was a lot of competition... However, now with Core PE fewer people are bothered and put effort in. It hasn't really put me off anything, I like learning and playing sports that I don't actively do out of school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    no lol, PE was one of the best classes

only reason it will 'put you off' is if you were terrible at sport

ReputationRep:
    PE was horrible.

My school had a culture of bullying and the changing rooms were one of the most violent locations. Added to that, we had decaying facilities, water logged pitches and morons for teachers. It was only after school that I developed an obsessive interest in sport/fitness.

ReputationRep:
    I loved it, but I must admit I was one of those teachers pet types because I was a competetive gymnast at the time. I HATED anything to do with teams/balls though. I went on to do PE and dance in college.

This thread is really relevant for me this week because there was an incident in my sisters class, the teacher told all the skinny and fit ones to leave and then basically told everyone else how fat they are. They are also being forced to do gymnastics and the larger kids basically didn't go to school on Thursday. My sister was 'ill'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamu)
    only reason it will 'put you off' is if you were terrible at sport
    Well yes, being terrible at sport can definitely be a factor. It's not like other subjects where you can revise more or get help from the teacher - with PE it can be almost impossible to improve if you're bad at it and everyone else is much better. And weirdly, it can be a tool for bullying and ridicule as well, because your failures are there for all to see (again, not like other lessons).
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Absolutely. I never was able to cope with team or competitive sports and there really isn't anything that could have changed that. If the aim of PE genuinely is to improve the health of young people, there should be non-competitive options.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. To the point where my school actually stopped me from doing PE because I was so distressed every lesson. The first time an adult ever found out I was self-harming was a PE lesson because I was so upset about going in. At my school it seemed to be just an opportunity for people to mess about a lot of the time, and I used to get constant comments and 'bullying' from some of my year group. I dreaded when people had to pick teams, I was stupidly self-conscious and I was constantly embarrassed and ashamed at how bad I was.

Now I'm doing an MSc in Sport & Exercise Psychology, love researching sport/exercise more than I can explain. I've been kickboxing for almost 6 years, got in the ring for 5 semi-contact fights, and when my mum died my sport was the one way I had of coping for a good while. I don't 'hate' sport, like I used to at PE lessons. I just hated PE lessons. I love sport and exercise and the psychology behind it.

ReputationRep:
    Yep I hate sport now

ReputationRep:
    Yes. The whole structure of PE lessons and all the things that came with it have put me off sport now.

ReputationRep:
    I despised doing PE at school. Its completely pointless when you're only given an hour including time to get changed twice, not to mention horrible overcrowded dirty changing rooms, and I hated being sweaty for the rest of the day and having to lug a big heavy kit around too.

I enjoyed doing sports outside school, partly because I was better at those sports, and also they were much better organised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    Absolutely. I never was able to cope with team or competitive sports and there really isn't anything that could have changed that. If the aim of PE genuinely is to improve the health of young people, there should be non-competitive options.
    The thing with competitive team sports is that the teams are almost always extremely unbalanced. When I started year 7 I didn't even know the rules to football. I was in the same class with people who played at lunchtimes and who would later go on to represent the school in sport events - this is the skill difference we're talking about.

The result of that was even when I tried hard in games like football, I ended up doing pretty much nothing because the others (who were much better at it) basically went on without me - I was pretty much an irrelevance to them. When you're awful at a sport and everyone else on your team is really good at it, it's hard for you to actually get involved and do anything useful.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.