Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Bizarre idea of the day, but for arguments sake let's say the Tories win the most votes but Labour are the largest party in a hung parliament.

The SNP will be the third party, but they'll insist on scrapping Trident, something that's strategically unthinkable for the UK, so I don't think LAB-SNP is feasible.

With potential dubiety over who should govern when the Tories are incumbents and won the popular vote but Labour have more MPs, could we potentially see a power sharing agreement between the big two?

Or maybe not a coalition as such but the Tories allowing Miliband to rule as a minority by abstaining on budgets and voting with him on Trident

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    As long as Nick Clegg is hung, drawn and quartered on live TV I'll be happy.

ReputationRep:
    Not going to happen. It isn't desirable and feasible for either party.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Minority government

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Current electoral forecast:
    http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/homepage.html

It's highly unlikely the "big two" will enter into a coalition with each other in peacetime.

Most likely Labour or the Conservatives will form another coalition with a smaller party in the likely event of another hung parliament. Currently the most likely outcome is either a Labour majority or a Labour-led coalition government.

Expect to see Clegg trying to suck up to Miliband sometime soon.

ReputationRep:
    I'd prefer Tory-UKIP coalition than labour anywhere near any sort of power. Ed Milliband... disturbing thought that he could actually rule our country.

Due to the liberal democrats outrageous betrayals with our student finances, i hope they are forgotten about too.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Mequa)

It's highly unlikely the "big two" will enter into a coalition with each other in peacetime.

Most likely Labour or the Conservatives will form another coalition with a smaller party in the likely event of another hung parliament. Currently the most likely outcome is either a Labour majority or a Labour-led coalition government.

"Current"
    Based on data over a month old

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Couldn't see it happening outside of Britain facing total destruction.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Won't happen. Too damaging for both parties.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    A Tory-Labour coalition in the traditional sense would be tantamount to handing the 2-party system to UKIP and the Greens and the death of the current political establishment. Expect an exodus of supporters from both parties.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Mequa)
    Odd prediction - I doubt UKIP will lose its two MPs, though I am hopeful that they'll gain no more.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    When Satan skates to work...
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Although I doubt it'll happen it would definately be the only 2 party majority government posable and I would be interested to see it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orange crush)
    Bizarre idea of the day, but for arguments sake let's say the Tories win the most votes but Labour are the largest party in a hung parliament.

The SNP will be the third party, but they'll insist on scrapping Trident, something that's strategically unthinkable for the UK, so I don't think LAB-SNP is feasible.

With potential dubiety over who should govern when the Tories are incumbents and won the popular vote but Labour have more MPs, could we potentially see a power sharing agreement between the big two?

Or maybe not a coalition as such but the Tories allowing Miliband to rule as a minority by abstaining on budgets and voting with him on Trident

Thoughts?
    And in shock news today it was confirmed that Glasgow Rangers and Glasgow Celtic are to merge.

I think the above has more chance short of some armageddon scenario in the world's/UK's affairs.

ReputationRep:
    If the alternative is Lab-Nat, Lab-Con would be preferable. I don't think their positions differ more from one another than either do from the SNP and possibly also from UKIP.

ReputationRep:
    A coalition is not likely, but we could well see a result where whichever of them loses the general election grants confidence and supply to the "winner" for a fixed period.

It is in the interests of both parties to prove that a vote for a minor party is a wasted vote and if a vote for UKIP, the Greens, SNP, PC and to a degree the Liberals is seen not to get any share of government or even a significant opposition role even in a hung Parliament, not many voters will vote for them in the 2017 election.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mequa)

I'm a member of the Labour Party, in a CLP about a mile from Westminster. The scuttlebutt is that Labour will opt for a minority government. On current projections, they would have in practical terms a majority of English seats.

The SNP will not vote with the Tories to deny Labour confidence. On English matters, Labour can get by without the SNP and on whole UK matters, Labour will simply dare the SNP to side with the Tories in voting down centre-left measures

What I'm hearing is that minority rule is actually an excellent way to wedge the SNP as Labour won't offer any concessions, but the SNP won't be able to retaliate by siding with the Tories as it would result in an election and many of the SNPs supporters deserting them.

Also, Clegg would be unacceptable as party leader to Labour. But the constituency polling in Sheffield Hallam is showing Clegg losing his seat in any case, so it may not be an issue. Fundamentally, I doubt the Lib Dems will have enough seats to make it worth Labour's while.

I expect that Labour will opt for minority rule and then go to an election a couple of years in; in such a scenario, I think they would pick up quite a few Green and SNP former Labour voters who had drifted away but now had an opportunity to see them in government fulfilling their promises
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by young_guns)
    I'm a member of the Labour Party, in a CLP about a mile from Westminster. The scuttlebutt is that Labour will opt for a minority government. On current projections, they would have in practical terms a majority of English seats.

The SNP will not vote with the Tories to deny Labour confidence. On English matters, Labour can get by without the SNP and on whole UK matters, Labour will simply dare the SNP to side with the Tories in voting down centre-left measures

What I'm hearing is that minority rule is actually an excellent way to wedge the SNP as Labour won't offer any concessions, but the SNP won't be able to retaliate by siding with the Tories as it would result in an election and many of the SNPs supporters deserting them.
    I think that's a very acute assessment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    I think that's a very acute assessment.
    Thanks That's very good of you to say, much appreciated

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.