isaisaisa
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Just wondering how the undergrad IR courses compare in KCL, LSE and Edinburgh in terms of reputation, social life and contents of the course. Would be great if students who are currently studying IR in one of these institutions could share their opinion and experiences
Thanks
RachelLJ
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm an S5 (year 12) pupil currently so I can't comment on the actual quality of the courses but I know that in Scotland, faaaaar more people have heard of LSE than KCL. Can't really comment on Edinburgh since everyone has heard of it since it is in Scotland. But I think if you're looking for the charismatic, charming place for university, Edinburgh is the place. The Royal Mile is BEAUTIFUL! But if you're looking for the vibrant, city life, London is the way to go. I would say the order for employment prospects go: LSE, KCL, Edinburgh. And KCL only beats Edinburgh because London offers more opportunities. Worldwide, KCL is equal to Edinburgh. Just check out the course content for yourself, and choose based on that with the city. Although remember that KCL is pretty chill, LSE has a lot of international students and Edinburgh has a lot of private school kids. None of these are bad things but they can influence your decision

Posted from TSR Mobile
isaisaisa
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by RachelLJ)
I'm an S5 (year 12) pupil currently so I can't comment on the actual quality of the courses but I know that in Scotland, faaaaar more people have heard of LSE than KCL. Can't really comment on Edinburgh since everyone has heard of it since it is in Scotland. But I think if you're looking for the charismatic, charming place for university, Edinburgh is the place. The Royal Mile is BEAUTIFUL! But if you're looking for the vibrant, city life, London is the way to go. I would say the order for employment prospects go: LSE, KCL, Edinburgh. And KCL only beats Edinburgh because London offers more opportunities. Worldwide, KCL is equal to Edinburgh. Just check out the course content for yourself, and choose based on that with the city. Although remember that KCL is pretty chill, LSE has a lot of international students and Edinburgh has a lot of private school kids. None of these are bad things but they can influence your decision

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is really helpful thanks! Yeah I thought LSE was the best reputation wise, however am worried there isn't an amazing social life. I've heard Edinburgh has a great social scene though. I'm just trying to find the best combination of prestigious and interesting course along with having a great social life like most prospective students I guess
RachelLJ
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by isaisaisa)
This is really helpful thanks! Yeah I thought LSE was the best reputation wise, however am worried there isn't an amazing social life. I've heard Edinburgh has a great social scene though. I'm just trying to find the best combination of prestigious and interesting course along with having a great social life like most prospective students I guess
I don't know whether you have made your decision about which to apply to/firm and insure, but notify me when you do!
Oh and I know that LSE seems questionable for the social life but I read somewhere that it was voted best social life in the UK of any university. I suspect it was mainly because of the numerous wealthy internationals there, and so you can enjoy and experience a wider range of adventures. But Edinburgh is about so much more than the social life! It embodies all of the positive Scottish stereotypes such as bagpipers playing on the street, the Royal Mile's charming tranquility yet buzzing atmosphere… Whichever you choose, you'll be very happy at.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (47)
18.08%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (73)
28.08%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (99)
38.08%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (32)
12.31%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (9)
3.46%

Watched Threads