Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Issues around ejection of immigrants from the UK Watch

ReputationRep:
    For many years I've heard it repeated that "we should send the immigrants back where they came from". It is a taboo subject and so never gets considered, which is a shame since exploring taboo subjects either exposes prejudice or raises alternative, workable, social change.

So, in all seriousness, what would the statement "send 'em back" mean in reality? For starters, how would these questions be addressed:

• Does this include the Saxons, the Normans and the Vikings?
    • What about the religious refugees such as the Calvinists, Huguenots and Jews?
    • Where will I get my Chinese take-aways, curries and kebabs?
    • Does white British include the descendants of Irish citizens who came here before the Republic was formed?
    • What about 2nd, 3rd or later generation children of ex-pats who went out to South Africa or other empire countries? And what if they have non-whites in their ancestry?
    • Does it include the Gurkhas and other nationals that have served in the British armed forces?
    • Is internal movement between Scotland, NI, Wales and England permitted?
    • What about the Falkland Islanders, Gibraltarians and Channel Islanders - all proudly British. Can they come and stay?
    • What should we do about the ex-pats that get sent back to us in response, such as those living in Spain? Should they be given free housing and jobs and benefits, despite having flounced off to live somewhere "better"?

There was a recent post proposing ejecting immigrants from the UK immigration that was deleted before I could post my response. It seemed a shame as it gave scope for debate. Hence this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Well, clearly you are a bigot as you forgot to list Romans in "Saxons, the Normans and the Vikings" and if Romans were deported, where will I get my bathhouses, straight roads and guided tours around Chester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EggMayo)
    Well, clearly you are a bigot as you forgot to list Romans in "Saxons, the Normans and the Vikings" and if Romans were deported, where will I get my bathhouses, straight roads and guided tours around Chester.
    I thought the Romans cleared off of their own volition as the Roman Empire contracted, leaving behind their stupid straight roads, hypocausts, literacy and their socks-with-sandals tradition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    I thought the Romans cleared off of their own volition as the Roman Empire contracted, leaving behind their stupid straight roads, hypocausts, literacy and their socks-with-sandals tradition.
    Glad they cleared off, right weirdos with no fashion sense, socks with sandals and skirts. Despicable people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    For many years I've heard it repeated that "we should send the immigrants back where they came from". It is a taboo subject and so never gets considered, which is a shame since exploring taboo subjects either exposes prejudice or raises alternative, workable, social change.

So, in all seriousness, what would the statement "send 'em back" mean in reality? For starters, how would these questions be addressed:

• Does white British include the descendants of Irish citizens who came here before the Republic was formed?
    • What about 2nd, 3rd or later generation children of ex-pats who went out to South Africa or other empire countries? And what if they have non-whites in their ancestry?
    • Does it include the Gurkhas and other nationals that have served in the British armed forces?
    • What about the Falkland Islanders, Gibraltarians and Channel Islanders - all proudly British. Can they come and stay?
    • What should we do about the ex-pats that get sent back to us in response, such as those living in Spain? Should they be given free housing and jobs and benefits, despite having flounced off to live somewhere "better"?

There was a recent post proposing ejecting immigrants from the UK immigration that was deleted before I could post my response. It seemed a shame as it gave scope for debate. Hence this thread.
    vikings and normans do not exist they are an extinct culture and ethnic group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Native To Europe)
    vikings and normans do not exist they are an extinct culture and ethnic group.
    Yes, unlike some, they integrated. 💕

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)

Countries have native populations that moves there many many years ago. People love to obscure these arguments by finding grey areas but to put it in black and white 99.9% of this country had been here more than 500 years before 1950 and 80% of that group has been here since the last ice age. Someone who came from Somalia yesterday is not native.

You do not necessarily need people from a certain culture to cook their food. I am not Indian but I can cook a curry from scratch, and I am not Thai but I can cook Thai food from scratch.

"Send them back" is a very vague concept. Under the BNPs definition from what I gather, it means give them 50 to 100 thousand pounds to leave on the assumption that their historical country or origin or a country with similar culture will take them as wealthy migrants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)

The Saxons, Normans and Vikings do not exist nor have done for many, many centuries.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.