Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    HELP!!!
    I've got a controlled assessment in one week, and it's something to do with attitudes towards slang...any tips?
    (I have no clue what to include in the essay paragraphs/introduction/conclusion?) btw, my target grade is an A*

Ok, our task is about social attitudes towards the language of young people, but our teacher wants us to contextualise it. So here are some titles I've thought up of:
    -Investigate how young people use slang
    -Investigate how social media affects slang
    Any suggestions on what to pick/any more?

ReputationRep:
    I have not done English language past gcse, however if I were doing this I would definitely look at the way words are recycled in slang. For example, the word 'beef' is being used for arguments between people. It also had a similar meaning in Victorian England but was phased out. I would also look at using words that come into modern slang that initially meant something else - this could then go onto another paragraph of words that have become insults whereas they previously weren't if you felt so inclined. A good example here is the word 'gay'.

I don't know if that's what you're looking for but hopefully it will give you a few ideas!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11NVuriti)
    HELP!!!
    I've got a controlled assessment in one week, and it's something to do with attitudes towards slang...any tips?
    (I have no clue what to include in the essay paragraphs/introduction/conclusion?) btw, my target grade is an A*
    I did that last year and got an A. Also retook it last week (since we were allowed to, as it was on average our classes worst) and awaiting it back.

You'll probably have to be a bit more accurate with your essay title, as I believe a lot of marks come from directly relating to the question. Mine was something like "do you agree or disagree that teenagers know when slang is appropriate to use in certain situations"

What I'd suggest is taking similar scenarios, and comparing them. So what I did was an introduction (talking about my personal language development - as in accent, ideolect, etc), and then next two paragraphs were comparing. So my first example was a classroom, so I talked about and gave examples for how I would talk to a teacher, compared individual words, then I talked about how I'd talk to a friend within school, gave quotes, talked about individual words. I then did the same in a family setting - talking to siblings/parents. Next paragraph I talked about "older" slang, which included that "blighty" (meaning Brits) originated as slang from the world wars and is commonplace in today's society. Also mentioned Shakespeare and his creation of words. Finally my conclusion summed up that I disagree, stated why, and then as by my teachers suggestion finished it with an ironic phrase. Cannot remember what mine was off hand but it was basically slang.

Things I'd say to remember...
    Good headline - try and do a technique of some sort. I made mine ironic "we no how to speak proper, innit" or something like that
    Talk about techniques!!!! And use advanced ones. Before I went into the CA I found a list on Google of A level English terminology, along with their definitions. I managed to get this into my exam and my teacher was pretty impressed! (http://www.slideshare.net/BCALevels/...glish-glossary)
    The ones I used... (Not all relevant to this exam in that list so)
    "lexical bundle" - sequence of words that go together through repetition of use - would you mind, by the way, etc.
    "neologism" - newly invented word
    "portmanteau" - a combination of two words - chillax

If I think of anything else.. Will edit...

ReputationRep:
    Ok have got some more information:
    "Explore different attitudes to the spoken language of young people"
    does that change anything??
    thanks so much for replying it makes all the difference xx

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.