princesspeach99
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi I'm in my first year at uni and am feeling depressed coz I have no social life and feel like crap. I had a few good friends right at the start when it was freshers and spent some time with them but that only lasted about 2 months until they drifted away and didnt reply to my texts. I think I have social anxiety because I can't stand social media, I have zero social media presence and absolutely nothing on facebook - the thought of posting something fills me with anxiety... I really care what others think of me which sucks. I wish I was popular and had enviable instagram posts and loads of followers on twitter but im such a boring person and always feel sorry for myself. I'm painfully shy and introverted, the only thing that cheers me up is watching youtube videos aha :P any advice?
RoseannaAvery
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by princesspeach99)
Hi I'm in my first year at uni and am feeling depressed coz I have no social life and feel like crap. I had a few good friends right at the start when it was freshers and spent some time with them but that only lasted about 2 months until they drifted away and didnt reply to my texts. I think I have social anxiety because I can't stand social media, I have zero social media presence and absolutely nothing on facebook - the thought of posting something fills me with anxiety... I really care what others think of me which sucks. I wish I was popular and had enviable instagram posts and loads of followers on twitter but im such a boring person and always feel sorry for myself. I'm painfully shy and introverted, the only thing that cheers me up is watching youtube videos aha :P any advice?
I know exactly how you are feeling. Im in grade 10 at school so it's a bit different to uni but i have like no friends. I never leave the house on weekends and i have social anxiety also. It kills girl it really does and i can imagine how you're feeling because im stuck in that mess too and it sucks just remember you arent alone. I think of it like this, school and uni also is temporary i mean we are only there for a long or short period of time to learn i mean as soon as that time comes to an end we are free and we have nothing to worry abour i mean sure its great to have a friend but your happiness is worth alot more than friends are. You can travel meet new people and just be happy once you are out of there. Just look forward to the future, remember you aren't alone and remember this is temporary xx
dp247
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Your university will have some form of support to help you with your anxiety (e.g. counselling) and you can also go see your GP about it (sometimes medication can help). Maybe try and connect with people on your course or in your flat (for example, someone sitting by themselves) or work up the courage to join a smaller society. If your SU has a mental health awareness society, that's also a good one, as many people there may/may have had anxiety themselves. As for social media, I wouldn't worry about not having a huge presence right now, but its always something to work towards . Things to get better too, and as Roseanna says, your situation is only temporary and there are tons of people who are/have been in a similar boat to you
username47781
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Moved to Mental Health
Lil08
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Before making any friends, you need to learn to be your authentic self. Stop acting for other people. Stop being a people pleaser. Stop worrying about what people think about you.

It's not about the quantity of friends, it's about the quality. Facebook and Instagram friends aren't real friends.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (326)
55.82%
I don't have everything I need (258)
44.18%

Watched Threads