Why does this forum have a disproportionately high number of ethnic minorities? watch

ReputationRep:
    Given that's it's a UK forum that is. It's pretty weird, but it's quite obvious that there are a disproportionate number. In actuality only just over 10% of people in the UK are an ethnic minority. That is not the case with TSR.

TL;DR the answer is this - The % of ethnic minorities in the population of student-aged people is much higher than in the overall population.

ReputationRep:
    Because white British students are generally less inclined to work for their education, compared to ethnic minorities who generally understand the importance of a good education. They also have more pressure from their families.

Therefore ethnic minorities will utilise resources (such as TSR) more so than the natives.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dylann)
    Because white British students are generally less inclined to work for their education, compared to ethnic minorities who generally understand the importance of a good education. They also have more pressure from their families.

Therefore ethnic minorities will utilise resources (such as TSR) more so than the natives.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is this actually based on evidence or just casual left wing racism? It's true of the Chinese iirc, but not many Chinese people are on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakeel1)
    Is this actually based on evidence or just casual left wing racism? It's true of the Chinese iirc, but not many Chinese people are on here.
    The Chinese have a horrendous view of education. It's essentially parental and teacher dictatorship to create grade machines. They don't want to see students with love of knowledge or passion of subject just A*s in their eyes and fear in their brains.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    Given that's it's a UK forum that is. It's pretty weird, but it's quite obvious that there are a disproportionate number. In actuality only just over 10% of people in the UK are an ethnic minority. That is not the case with TSR.
    This is all part of our plan take over your major cities and then take over TSR .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macromicro)
    The Chinese have a horrendous view of education. It's essentially parental and teacher dictatorship to create grade machines. They don't want to see students with love of knowledge or passion of subject just A*s in their eyes and fear in their brains.
    I have little experience so would not want to just perpetuate myths, although I have heard this is the case. It is still the case that the Chinese value 'education' (if not knowledge and arts, then at least pieces of paper to please the state and companies). Doesn't this refute their point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    This is all part of our plan take over your major cities and then take over TSR .
    Tell me more about the plan

ReputationRep:
    I have little experience so would not want to just perpetuate myths, although I have heard this is the case. It is still the case that the Chinese value 'education' (if not knowledge and arts, then at least pieces of paper to please the state and companies). Doesn't this refute their point?
    I wasn't asking you to. Many in China are currently trying to combat the view of education as 'grade-machines' instead of what it ought to be - development of the brain. As it stands, they certainly don't understand the importance of a good education; they have a warped and unnerving view of it.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't asking you to. Many in China are currently trying to combat the view of education as 'grade-machines' instead of what it ought to be - development of the brain. As it stands, they certainly don't understand the importance of a good education; they have a warped and unnerving view of it.
    This.

I remember watching a documentary a year or so back about Chinese education, their final exams (not sure what they're called) are literally life or death. Apparently some spend something like 18-20 hours a day studying for them, and failing means being disowned by your parents. It's insane.

ReputationRep:
    Foreigners care about their education, therefore come on here to get help with their studies/university choices.

ReputationRep:
    it's quite obvious that there are a disproportionate number
    Is it?

Is it maybe the case that minorities tend to be more vocal about being from a different background?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Is it?

Is it maybe the case that minorities tend to be more vocal about being from a different background?
    Why would they be that?

ReputationRep:
    Actually according to our school's RAISEonline report there are 30% of minority ethnic pupils in education.

I don't know how you can be sure of someone's ethnicity unless they post it ...

ReputationRep:
    Why would they be that?
    Don't know, but that is a general trend.

Though you haven't answered the first bit: is it obvious? Really? I don't think so.

ReputationRep:
    It's based off personal experience that is supported by research. Although there is no direct way to measure attitude to studying, it can be inferred from closely related studies:

12.2% White British students achieve AAB+ in 2+ facilitating subjects, compared to 18.8% Indian and 29.4% Chinese. Other ethnic minorities are still higher at 13%.

Study by Christian Dustmann, Tommaso Frattini, Nikolaos Theodoropoulos: "Thus, British born ethnic minorities, despite their initial disadvantage in the British education system,
    perform remarkably well in terms of their educational achievements, catching up continuously throughout
    the British compulsory school system, and achieving higher shares of college education than their British
    born white peers"

There are a lot of statistics you may find useful in that study.

More ethnic minorities studying for a qualification, as well as some ethnic minority groups holding more degrees as a percentage (though I appreciate the fact that obviously many immigrants come over solely to study)

Telegraph article, not sure where to find the original study at Manchester but the article summarises it well.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree with you to be honest. As un-politically correct as it is, it seems to be true. However, it's obviously not the case for everyone. I, as a white British girl, care a lot about my work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamCee)
    This.

I remember watching a documentary a year or so back about Chinese education, their final exams (not sure what they're called) are literally life or death. Apparently some spend something like 18-20 hours a day studying for them, and failing means being disowned by your parents. It's insane.
    Reminds me of the country where I was born, except the 'disowned' bit!

ReputationRep:
    Unless you've actually been to China you are just spouting off what you've read in the media. I've been to China and this was not true at all. I would say that the Chinese I met were very far from grade machines. They were incredibly knowledgeable, knew almost everything we know even about politics, they know how their country works and how other countries work and the differences etc. They study incredibly diverse subjects, out of 4 people i met 1 was studying music, the other communications, the 3rd not in uni and the 4th in computer science.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That casual racism towards white people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Don't know, but that is a general trend.

Though you haven't answered the first bit: is it obvious? Really? I don't think so.
    I have no idea about the first question. It could be covert prejudice on my behalf. Although I'm usually not one to succumb to silly things such as confirmation biases despite how tempting they may be and I also come from an area which is not lacking in ethnic minorities so I doubt that I would under-appreciate the number of ethnic minorities who are living in Britain.

The thing about lots of them specifically coming over to study though is a good point. A lot of users of this forum are at university. Ethnic minorities I assume are more likely to have degrees and all that due to them immigrating with qualifications already or to get qualifications.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.