The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by poohat
Aggregate figures are misleading. If you look at that data closer then its basically just what everyone would expect - Indian and Chinese students do very well (as everyone knows - these groups tend to be high performing immigrant populations throughout the world). But the stereotypical “problem groups’ (blacks, and Pakistani+Bangladeshi Muslims) do substanitally worse than native Brits.

Figures 4 and 6 in that report are the key ones - black and Muslim performance is low once you look at the raw data rather than trying to fudge it using "expected results" and FSM, etc. Additionally, these statistics are always contaminated by the fact they use such a low definitoin of achievement - 5 or more C-A* grades at GSCE, which realistically a sufficiently bright chimpanzee should be able to achieve with enough training. If you take a more sensible definiotn of achievement (eg at least BBB at A Level, or getting an A in either maths or Enligsh) then the ethnic gap becomes much wider.

Remember that schools actively try to fudge their figures for the purpose of gaming league tables - pupils who sit on the C/D borderline get a disprorportionate amount of attention in order to push them up to a C (which is what counts in league tables). Less intelligent students are encouraged to pick "easy" GSCEs/A Levels so they have more chance of getting a good grade. Etc etc etc. When you use "Getting 5 or more C-A* grades at GCSE" as the only criterion of achivement, the results are close to meaningless.

I agree. Perhaps this is much more useful. 12.2% of White British students get AAB in 2+ facilitating subjects compared to 18.3% Indian, 29.4% Chinese etc.
Reply 21
Original post by The Gray Fox
That casual racism towards white people.

Well, I am white British myself and the statistics I've posted show it to be somewhat true. I wouldn't say it's "racism" since the topic of the OP is about race.

Original post by Tarte Tatin
I agree with you to be honest. As un-politically correct as it is, it seems to be true. However, it's obviously not the case for everyone. I, as a white British girl, care a lot about my work.

As a white British boy, me too.
first post has a degree of truth about ethnic working harder..i know on my course currently and back in school, ethnic people dominated the top of the academics...
Reply 23
Original post by Dylann
I agree. Perhaps this is much more useful. 12.2% of White British students get AAB in 2+ facilitating subjects compared to 18.3% Indian, 29.4% Chinese etc.
Yeah, thats a better comparison thanks - I hadn't seen those statistics before. I'm not sure what table you're looking at though. For getting AAB or better at A Level (which is a good measure of achievement since its what you need to get into most good universities), its:

White British: 7.4%
Indian: 13.1%
Pakistani: 6.3%
Bangladeshi: 4.8%
Black Carribean: 1.6%
Black African: 3.7%
Chinese: 23.5%

The Pakistani score is quite a bit higher than I was expecting, in fairness. Its interesting that they do so much better than blacks given they have an even higher poverty rate, and are further behind when they start school

The Chinese percentage is ridiculous but expected, what an awesome immigrant group. Sadly they are also the smallest group (only 2000 students compared to 10000+ for most ethnic groups), thanks broken UK immigration system!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TorpidPhil
I have no idea about the first question.

So you've just admitted that the entire premise of your thread is wrong.

You have absolutely no idea whether there are more minorities here at all.

So why ask?
Original post by Drewski
So you've just admitted that the entire premise of your thread is wrong.

You have absolutely no idea whether there are more minorities here at all.

So why ask?

Well I have an idea because I can read statistics. Obviously I can't know and I'm not as confident about my knowing this as I am that the sun will rise tomorrow or such.
Well I have an idea because I can read statistics. Obviously I can't know and I'm not as confident about my knowing this as I am that the sun will rise tomorrow or such.

What statistics though? Do you have any evidence to back up your assertion?
I don't think it does, just that some are more vocal than others because a large percentage of young people identifying with ethnicity may have something to prove and are seemingly under their parents thumbs/religion most of the time. Going wild and expressing themselves on-line is perhaps a sort of outlet?

Which may not be the case for those from multi-generational well established UK families who choose more unorthodox ways of dress/makeup/tattoos/music etc. for expression.

It could be said that the latter are not as socially inept or insecure and tend to have more social freedoms, are not sexually repressed and don't have a grudge to bare against historical colonialism etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
Not the most torpid racist are you. How the hell do you even know there's a majority ethnic minority? Go back to being torpid on this one. Nonsense.
Ethnic minorities are more likely to have problems?
Given that's it's a UK forum that is. It's pretty weird, but it's quite obvious that there are a disproportionate number. In actuality only just over 10% of people in the UK are an ethnic minority. That is not the case with TSR.

The % of ethnic minorities in the population of student-aged people is much higher than in the overall population.
Original post by timetoella
Not the most torpid racist are you. How the hell do you even know there's a majority ethnic minority? Go back to being torpid on this one. Nonsense.

:frown::frown::frown:

I edited my first post. My mistake was not being aware of the fact that the student population is demographically very different from the ordinary one.

You're being ridiculous with claims of "racism" though. I'm simply mis-using statistics, I'm not exhibiting or creating prejudices.
(edited 9 years ago)
:frown::frown::frown:

I edited my first post. My mistake was not being aware of the fact that the student population is demographically very different from the ordinary one.

You're being ridiculous with claims of "racism" though. I'm simply mis-using statistics, I'm not exhibiting or creating prejudices.
The way you brought it up wasn't exactly to only open discussion. There was a tone of annoyance at the fact that there might be more ethnic minorities on here. But hey you seem like you don't want to exhibit or create prejudice from your reply so it's fine just maybe think next time before you go at something from a dodgy angle.

('Racism' was just a nice little overstatement to stick in with my comments)
The way you brought it up wasn't exactly to only open discussion. There was a tone of annoyance at the fact that there might be more ethnic minorities on here. But hey you seem like you don't want to exhibit or create prejudice from your reply so it's fine just maybe think next time before you go at something from a dodgy angle.

('Racism' was just a nice little overstatement to stick in with my comments)

Re-reading it I can see why some people might interpret the "why" as offensive as if I was implying there should be no reason for there to be as many non-whites here.

I genuinely just found it odd as I encounter a lot more ethnic minorities here than IRL and I don't particular live in a non-ethnic area. I'm a curious person and I wanted to know why. It seems the main reason is that the demographic of students is far more populated with ethnic minorities than the overall demographic in the UK.
Re-reading it I can see why some people might interpret the "why" as offensive as if I was implying there should be no reason for there to be as many non-whites here.

I genuinely just found it odd as I encounter a lot more ethnic minorities here than IRL and I don't particular live in a non-ethnic area. I'm a curious person and I wanted to know why. It seems the main reason is that the demographic of students is far more populated with ethnic minorities than the overall demographic in the UK.
So where did you get this information about ethnic minorities on here? Or are you just making an estimation based on what you've seen?
So where did you get this information about ethnic minorities on here? Or are you just making an estimation based on what you've seen?

Purely based on what I've seen.

Now I'm going to have to make another thread.
Original post by macromicro
I taught English in China. I also did a Chinese exchange at my university.

The idea of "grade machines" is a serious issue currently being debated in Chinese educational policy.

When I discussed all these stereotypes with them, many of them acknowledged that the Chinese education system emphasizes memorization but from my interactions they did not seem to be brainwashed in any way, they pretty much knew the weaknesses of their system and I wouldn't even be able to tell they were taught through rote memorization.
Original post by Dylann
Because white British students are generally less inclined to work for their education, compared to ethnic minorities who generally understand the importance of a good education. They also have more pressure from their families.

Therefore ethnic minorities will utilise resources (such as TSR) more so than the natives.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh dear. Thats all I can say.

Too bawse for you, sir.
Original post by Ikidyounot.
If this is the case, it might be because the internet is more open than real life social situations, and you're seeing the contributions of people you wouldn't usually, in your daily life or in the media. Anyone can become a member and participate in the conversation on TSR despite the toxic atmosphere that sometimes exists if you aren't of a particular demographic. We all know that in real life, people self-select their social circles, or are ostracised and excluded from social circles, and so the white majority, can choose not to engage with, or simply just not come across, ethnic minorities.

So maybe TSR, twitter, tumblr, youtube etc. are conspicuous in this way, to people not used to hearing ethnic minority voices?

That wouldn't apply IRL to me though and I don't watch the media.
Original post by poohat

White British: 7.4%
Indian: 13.1%
Pakistani: 6.3%
Bangladeshi: 4.8%
Black Carribean: 1.6%
Black African: 3.7%
Chinese: 23.5%

I wonder what the stats are for the Jewish population. Its probably over 50%!!

Latest

Trending

Trending