Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Got my fitness test Friday morning can't wait and been training hard. Just wondered how strict the form is for press ups and sit-ups? Remember seeing the demonstration videos before but can't seem to find them if anyone has a link that would be great!

also haven't ran on a treadmill in years so will have to practice next week, is
    it always set in kmh

ReputationRep:
    Hi! My PT was a bit lenient as I did a few rubbish sit-ups but she just told me to practise lots. The run on the treadmill was strict, no listening to music, no touching the sides etc. She set the treadmill to the right speed to pass at minimum time and yes it is kmh. Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    I had my fitness test last year n it wasn't strict at all! Was aloud music during run, push-ups and situps, push-ups she put her fist under belly rather than my shoulder, so I just pushed my belly out, and the sit-ups I didn't have to go flat on the floor, just till my back touched. I guess it depends on who you get. And she stopped me once I had reached the minimum. Just make sure you practise the proper form and you'll be reet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for that, I can do 30 press ups in about 30 seconds so will be fine for that, just need to make sure I do the 20 and get right down for them.

Sit ups I do with my hands on my temples and curl up till elbows above knees then down till my shoulder blades touch the floor so hopefully that's fine and can do about 36-37 in 55 seconds so will be good for them.

Just the run that concerns me, I could do 6-8 mile comfortable last year at a steady pace it's just having to run at pace I'm struggling a bit with I'm at about 11.15 for 1.5 mile outside. Going to practice on the treadmill a few times this week though so will get there.

ReputationRep:
    Do your pressups and situps straight after your run -this is how it will be on the day. I think I had a few mins to catch my breath between each but practice with little rest incase you do get a strict PT. Sure you will do fine. At the end of the day you only have to do the minimum on this test save yourself to impress at the prtc!

ReputationRep:
    Ah yeah forgot about that that's a great point! I usually do them just from resting so will start doing them after a run.

ReputationRep:
    Had my first go on a treadmill today in about 10 year! Am I allowed to set the speed and adjust it in the run or is it set to a certain speed that I can stick to which will pass me?

The gym I'm doing my test in had speed in just numbers for example 8.6 or 12.0 so not sure if they are just the speed of that treadmill or actually measure something?

It does flash up the current km per minute though and Worked out I need to be doing 4 mins 30 seconds per KM

When I stepped off I did feel a bit of jelly legs so wonder how soon after the press ups and sit-ups actually are? Literally a minute after or get a 5-10 min break

ReputationRep:
    When I did mine she just set it to 13.5kph n that's enough to pass, but I'm guessin you can speed it up and slow it down if you need to, but you've gotta average around 13/13.5kph to do it in about 10:50 and get a pass, if that makes sense! As for the rest I had about 2/3 minutes rest after the run before press ups and it was about a 30 second rest before push-ups and sit ups, mainly cause she was explaining the correct form. She also gave me the choice of whether I wanted to go all out n see how many I can do in a minute, or did I just want to do the minimum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Cheers that's a great help

ReputationRep:
    Just got back from it now and passed! Chuffed! Wasn't too bad at all just the last few sit-ups were hard after doing them pretty much straight after the run.

Is it just a case of waiting for dates now and do they arrive by email and both together?

ReputationRep:
    Also was wondering if the train down to Halton for PRTC and basic training are paid for or do I have to pay for them? Is there a lot of kit and things to buy as well? Would be handy to know in working out how much money to save when leaving my current job thanks

ReputationRep:
    Well done pal, I only did prtc didn't go onto basic as I changed to a commissioned role, but you get a ticket for the train or if you wanna drive you get petrol costs back. As for the kit for prtc you'll get an email with a list of what to take. Nothin major and you've probably already got it all. I will say keep up with the runnin cause I found the bleep test at prtc harder than the treadmill and also the pushups n sit-ups are more strict cause your with the RAF PTIs, but again they stop you once you've reached the pass mark.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also for the prtc fitness test there was a big gap between the run and pushups and sit-ups cause they have different groups doin it so your sat waiting while the others are doin it. So you get ya breath back more than ya pre joinin test.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks and cheers for the info again really appreciated!

Just a case of keeping on top of my fitness and waiting for my start dates

ReputationRep:
    What trade you goin for? Keep on top of ya maths aswell for the functional skills tests.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Logistics supply and I will do

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.