The Student Room Group

Where can I buy a prom dress?

I'm thinking of buying my dress soon but I've looked everywhere but I just can't seem to find one! I've looked on ASOS, New Look, John lewis, Debenhams, Jane Norman, missguided etc

Ive even looked online but I can't seem to find a website which looks reliable!

do you guys have any ideas as to where I can buy a dress? any shops online with good reviews?

These things are seasonal and would tend to come into the shops with the new summer collections. Try again in a month or so?
Reply 2
Where abouts do you live?
There are some shops that only sell prom dresses, you could always check them out. And they always have list of schools noted which prevents people from getting the same dress at the same prom.
I got mine from a prom dress shop that, like the post above, listed who got what dress from which school. A lot of people just got 'normal' dresses from places like Topshop. One girl bought one from a charity shop and looked amazing. It's really what you had in mind.
Reply 4
There's actually some really nice ones on ASOS and Missguided etc. and people say "yeh but everyone will have ones from there" but because they're common, less expensive brands, not many people actually go there for prom dresses, a few of my friends had some really nice ones last year from brands like that! I got mine from Macy's in New York though lol x
I bought my prom dress on gbridal.com, more color choose.
Debenhams is the best by far, because it brings together big brands and makes them cheap(ish).

For a good quality Maxi dress for Β£60-100, go for something like Coast, but buy through Debenhams (in their shop they go up to much more than that). This is (sadly) a normal price range for the lower end of decent formal evening-wear. Men might expect to spend this much or more on a cheap Tuxedo, and people can spend a lot more.

It's kind of pot luck what you get in the store (though big stores will have a 'reduced' rail and you can get some very good things). If you buy online, be careful to check the material because some things can look very good on a model in the picture, but look quite bad in real life.

If it's just a school prom, you can get something cheaper, but Debenhams is still good for high quality, low price.
(edited 9 years ago)
ASOS is trustable and i have had a great experience with FASHION24HOURS,i ordered a squired prom dress there and it was a bit long,expect that,everything was flawless.
You could always go into some bridal shops and have a look at the bridesmaid dresses - they tend to have a large range and they do a lot of maxi dresses if that's the kind of thing you're after.
Original post by starmilk
I'm thinking of buying my dress soon but I've looked everywhere but I just can't seem to find one! I've looked on ASOS, New Look, John lewis, Debenhams, Jane Norman, missguided etc

Ive even looked online but I can't seem to find a website which looks reliable!

do you guys have any ideas as to where I can buy a dress? any shops online with good reviews?

I got mine from Quiz and so did quite a few people- they have some really good dresses there :smile: also, if there's one near you, Frasers may be worth a visit - they had some really good stuff last time I looked!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got mine from ASOS which was lovely. Have you tried ChiChi London? They're reliable, some of their dresses are kinda expensive though. I got my sixth form evening dress from Lipsy! They have the nicest clothes/dresses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Boden have their old bridesmaids' dresses on massive reductions at the moment. I got this in navy and have worn it for multiple posh events. http://www.boden.co.uk/en-GB/Clearance/Womens-Dresses/Special-Occasion-Dresses/WH676/Womens-Jocelyn-Dress.html
How about TKMakk? They're pretty good for prom dresses - or Debenhams! A little pricey but be sure to have an idea of what you're looking for price and style!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Proms and pearls

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm thinking of renting a super mega expensive designer dress and look fabulous for one night, just like Cinderella. :colondollar:
Reply 15
i bought my daughters in a bridal shop black halterneck beautiful size 16 if anyone interested in buying not seen one like it anywhere
Yes i bought my daughters dress from Voguecouture.They have over 3000 dresses in stock and i'm sure you can not walk out without a dress.
Yes you are right.I bought from voguecouture based in Epsom and they have loads to choose from.Amazing experience.
Original post by Alsklinq
Where abouts do you live?
There are some shops that only sell prom dresses, you could always check them out. And they always have list of schools noted which prevents people from getting the same dress at the same prom.
Hi,

As per my perspective, if you want to buy a prom dress then, online shopping is the best option for you. You can choose your favourite dress within the minutes.

Quick Reply