Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

Really need some help.

I'll just give a run down for the last 3-4 years i haven't lived at home, i was with living with my ex girlfriend for 3 years and my other ex girlfriend last year (by live with i mean both them and their mothers). I was in work sometimes and out of work others due to temp & 0 hour contracts in which period i claimed JSA.

My mother does not financially support me in anyway and she does not work as she has severe spinal problems consequently in receipt of ESA. We have a rocky relationship and don't talk very often.

In July my dad passed away and i split up with my ex girlfriend and i am currently living in his house with my brothers. I work a 32 hour week and have been in work since i moved into this property (August)

Now my problem is, i am trying to apply as a self supported student being as my parents have not provided for me for the last 3-4 years. The problem is to be classed as self supported you have to earn a threshold of £7500 per year over the 3 years of which i didn't. I rang Student Finance and they have asked me to get my benefit history from DWP and employment history from HRMC and attach a covering letter with these detailing the situation.

The lady on the phone said that they may not class me as a self supported student as i may not of earn't over the threshold, in which case i have to declare my parents earnings.
    So what do i do! If i'm not granted the self support application then i can't afford to go to University

I've worked so hard for this and i have received an unconditional offer and paid my deposit on my accommodation.

Really stressing guys!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Are you still in contact with your mother?

ReputationRep:
    If the household income on which you're assessed has dropped by 15% or more since the year you'll be assessed on, then you can apply to be assessed on the current year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Are you still in contact with your mother?

Nope

ReputationRep:
    How old are you? Once you hit 25 you will automatically be considered independent. If you go to uni full-time and have no other source of income, you will get the maximum loan/grant.

So you may not be able to go to uni immediately, but you will be able to go at some point.

Doesn't help with the current problem I know, but uni isn't financially out of reach for good.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 21 so yeah it's still a while off.

I'm awaiting the documents from DWP and HMRC before i send it off with a letter.

I just hope it gets accepted because i genuinely have been self-supported and not living with parents.

If I don't I think it's disgusting. Why should someone have to wait for years to take an opportunity that everyone else has due to personal things happening in their life and getting dealt a bad hand of cards.

All I want to do is achieve and better myself and my situation but it's looking like a loosing battle.

So fed up, lets just hope whoever assess' my application can empathise.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.