Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Deleted

Hey, it's going to be ok. It sounds like you really need to talk to someone you trust, whether it's a doctor, a friend, or even something like childline (I don't know how old you are but there are other places like that that are similar). Please, do not hate yourself, it's ok to be quiet! I prefer people who are quieter, I find them easier to get along with

Honestly, try and find someone who can really help you. You said that you hurt yourself, please, do not do it again. You don't deserve that.

You are an individual, don't let anyone bring you down! You're not a bad person, why should you hate yourself? Don't ever change for anyone.

Please, try and talk to someone, it really will help, trust me.

(Original post by upagumtree)
    I have been finding it near impossible to get over things that people have told me last year. I have hurt myself this afternoon because it came to my mind and I can't distract myself.

I was told by people at work (a temporary placement so I don't work at these places anymore) that I am difficult to talk to and difficult to engage with. I have always been quiet and introverted but did not know the extent. I find it hard to change this and as a result i usually hate myself hence the self- harm.

Problem is, I don't know if I can stand up for myself when I am told about this because maybe I am like that? In my mind i am not so bad and I have a lot of friends wh I am more comfortable with as I have known them a long time. Basically, I don't know what my real personality is. As silent and difficult to engage with, or something else? It has had me question myself and I'm starting to feel like I am developing a degree of social anxiety and paranoia because every one is looking at me like they don't like me or just can't figure me out. It has affected my mood and confidence and I don't really expect anyone here to really be able to give me advice because you don't know me and aren't mental health professionals. It's mainly for venting and release.

I have always been highly reluctant to turn to tsr for advice on private issues such as this because I can see how many others get picked apart badly and I'm not sure how much of this I can take.
    Just because you're quiet and difficult to engage with doesn't make you a bad person at all. Everyone has different qualities and your silence can be an asset to you as sometimes silence can be the most eloquent reply.

I myself don't freely start talking to people until I am comfortable with them. You are worth more than the comments people say about you. The best thing is to ignore them and not let them put you down.

These people really need to realise the impact their words have. I really hope you stop inflicting pain upon your self because of the worthless , cruel words of others.

Have faith in your self, keep your head up high and remember you are worth more than the universe and everything that is in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey, it's going to be ok. It sounds like you really need to talk to someone you trust, whether it's a doctor, a friend, or even something like childline (I don't know how old you are but there are other places like that that are similar). Please, do not hate yourself, it's ok to be quiet! I prefer people who are quieter, I find them easier to get along with

Honestly, try and find someone who can really help you. You said that you hurt yourself, please, do not do it again. You don't deserve that.

You are an individual, don't let anyone bring you down! You're not a bad person, why should you hate yourself? Don't ever change for anyone.

Please, try and talk to someone, it really will help, trust me.
    I've always been brought up to believe its not good enough

I've always been brought up to believe its not good enough
    Don't focus on what other people think, just be yourself and make yourself happy, that's what matters most.

ReputationRep:
    I have been finding it near impossible to get over things that people have told me last year. I have hurt myself this afternoon because it came to my mind and I can't distract myself.

I was told by people at work (a temporary placement so I don't work at these places anymore) that I am difficult to talk to and difficult to engage with. I have always been quiet and introverted but did not know the extent. I find it hard to change this and as a result i usually hate myself hence the self- harm.

Problem is, I don't know if I can stand up for myself when I am told about this because maybe I am like that? In my mind i am not so bad and I have a lot of friends wh I am more comfortable with as I have known them a long time. Basically, I don't know what my real personality is. As silent and difficult to engage with, or something else? It has had me question myself and I'm starting to feel like I am developing a degree of social anxiety and paranoia because every one is looking at me like they don't like me or just can't figure me out. It has affected my mood and confidence and I don't really expect anyone here to really be able to give me advice because you don't know me and aren't mental health professionals. It's mainly for venting and release.

I have always been highly reluctant to turn to tsr for advice on private issues such as this because I can see how many others get picked apart badly and I'm not sure how much of this I can take.
    Ignore the insensitive comments being made, what exactly getting you down so much? Is it what the people at work told you? Because the views and opinions they have of you may be completely different to how others view you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So I've felt like that to a lesser extent, just in the way I act differently with different groups of friends, and that led me to wondering what my real personality is, but I eventually realised that trying to define yourself is only hurtful. Instead of thinking, "I'm an inherently loud person." and thinking every time you're quiet you're not being yourself, just realise that as a person you are made up of different quirks. As long as you're not being forced to do act some way, and you're comfortable, it's fine!
    So you're around a talkative friend, and you're quiet most of the time, or you're with quiet friends so you're louder, you don't have to be one or the other, you can be both

That being said, you sound like you've been overthinking a lot, and the thoughts you're having aren't particularly helpful. It's obviously easier said than done, but try not to be so concerned with other people's thoughts! :-)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.