Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Mark Complicated Situation watch

    • Thread Starter

    Really need some help.

    I'll just give a run down for the last 3-4 years i haven't lived at home, i was with living with my ex girlfriend for 3 years and my other ex girlfriend last year (by live with i mean both them and their mothers). I was in work sometimes and out of work others due to temp & 0 hour contracts in which period i claimed JSA.

    My mother does not financially support me in anyway and she does not work as she has severe spinal problems consequently in receipt of ESA. We do not speak at all only if we literally have too.

    In July my dad passed away and i split up with my ex girlfriend and i am currently living in his house with my brothers. I work a 32 hour week and have been in work since i moved into this property (August)

    Now my problem is, i am trying to apply as a self supported student being as my parents have not provided for me for the last 3-4 years. The problem is to be classed as self supported you have to earn a threshold of £7500 per year over the 3 years of which i didn't. I rang Student Finance and they have asked me to get my benefit history from DWP and employment history from HRMC and attach a covering letter with these detailing the situation.

    The lady on the phone said that they may not class me as a self supported student as i may not of earned over the threshold, in which case i would have to declare my mums household earnings (but i live in my deceased fathers house? so why would i need her household) which isn't fair on me because i dont get a penny of it or benefit from their household in anyway so why should it affect MY loan? My mum has re-married.

    I am preparing an evidence pack which contains wage slips from my last job, my current wage slips and contract of employment, my monthly budget spreadsheet, a copy of my cv detailing where i have worked and studied, my university reference from my tutor which highlights that i had a troublesome life during studies and family problems, my benefit history from the DWP and my employment history from HMRC.

    I've worked so hard for this and i have received an unconditional offer and paid my deposit on my accommodation.
    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative
    Hi there.

    For all students who don't meet certain independence criteria we would always look at a parental contribution. Unless you can prove you are estranged from your mother which is normally done by providing a letter from a professional person such as a doctor, teacher, lawyer etc stating how you are estranged from your mother and she does not support you financially. This along with a copy of your fathers death cert will mean we can assess you as independent.

    Although this is only if the financial evidence is not accepted.

Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.