Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. So I'm choosing my GCSE options and have to hand the form in by next month. Obviously there's the compulsory English, Maths, Science and RE/Citizenship (I've chosen RE) but I was wondering if my three additional options are good choices?
    I think I am picking
    History
    Computer Science
    Spanish
    Has anyone had experience in these subjects? Are they tricky or easy if you put work in? How hard is it to get A*?
    Also one thing I'm particularly worried about is Spanish speaking exam. Is this difficult, what are your experiences?
    ALSO, I am thinking of taking Latin as an after school twilight course. Has anyone done this? Was it easy/hard? Would it be difficult to learn and get a good grade in alongside Spanish?
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    I only did history out of that lot but also did two languages with one being a twilight course.

Speaking isn't that hard because you get two weeks to prepare and you will be asked less questions in one of your orals. You also get I think up to 4 gos although most people do 3. Honestly the ppl who found their orals hard were ppl who didn't try learning their speeches until it was too late.

History was probably my easiest GCSE tbh. I just memorised the book and it got me an A*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manexopi)
    Hey
    I only did history out of that lot but also did two languages with one being a twilight course.

Speaking isn't that hard because you get two weeks to prepare and you will be asked less questions in one of your orals. You also get I think up to 4 gos although most people do 3. Honestly the ppl who found their orals hard were ppl who didn't try learning their speeches until it was too late.

History was probably my easiest GCSE tbh. I just memorised the book and it got me an A*.
    Thanks! So with the speaking, do they tell you the sort of things you will be expected to say? Will there be a set of questions that should be answered to the best of one's ability? Or will you have to say as much as you can with no guideline? I'm slightly confused here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e2014)
    Thanks! So with the speaking, do they tell you the sort of things you will be expected to say? Will there be a set of questions that should be answered to the best of one's ability? Or will you have to say as much as you can with no guideline? I'm slightly confused here.
    I don't know about Spanish, but i did French and we were given a set of questions, we then wrote the answers to those (with the teacher's help, she edited and corrected it all). We then just had to memorize that, which is really not that hard, speaking is easier than the writing i think. I just memorized my answers and got full marks on my first go, so speaking is really nothing to worry about.

Don't know about the other choices, i know people who did really well in history, and others who didn't. Think it just depends on how much you revise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dialemforemily)
    I don't know about Spanish, but i did French and we were given a set of questions, we then wrote the answers to those (with the teacher's help, she edited and corrected it all). We then just had to memorize that, which is really not that hard, speaking is easier than the writing i think. I just memorized my answers and got full marks on my first go, so speaking is really nothing to worry about.

Don't know about the other choices, i know people who did really well in history, and others who didn't. Think it just depends on how much you revise
    Thank you! So a lot of language GCSE seems to be down to memory. Doesn't seem too hard then if I put in effort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e2014)
    Hi there. So I'm choosing my GCSE options and have to hand the form in by next month. Obviously there's the compulsory English, Maths, Science and RE/Citizenship (I've chosen RE) but I was wondering if my three additional options are good choices?
    I think I am picking
    History
    Computer Science
    Spanish
    Has anyone had experience in these subjects? Are they tricky or easy if you put work in? How hard is it to get A*?
    Also one thing I'm particularly worried about is Spanish speaking exam. Is this difficult, what are your experiences?
    ALSO, I am thinking of taking Latin as an after school twilight course. Has anyone done this? Was it easy/hard? Would it be difficult to learn and get a good grade in alongside Spanish?
    Thank you.
    Hi I do both Spanish and French at GCSE and it's pretty much what the other poster said. You get about 5 questions which you get two weeks to prepare for and then you memorise them. There's also one unexpected questions but it's pretty easy and they only expect you to give a one sentence answer with a verb in it I say that you should go for it because I find it quite easy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e2014)
    I think I am picking
    History
    Computer Science
    Spanish
    Thank you.
    Hey

I took history and Latin (in twilight sessions)

Depends on your history exam board. We're doing OCR, and I think it's really interesting. If you put the work in, you'll be fine with history. However some natural essay writing skills would be quite handy. Although you can learn them, for the A* a bit of natural aptitude is required imo.

Latin I started in year 8, took the end of year 10. WJEC course. However, we didn't actually do anything in year 8 or 9... Simply grammar and it was only the very very basics anyway. So in effect, I did approximately a year - came out with an A . Alongside Spanish it would be really good - Latin helps A LOT with other langauges; it helped me with German too. I was one of the few people in my German set that understood cases, because of my Latin. Imagine Spanish is similar. If you're doing WJEC, I think with the right amount of effort you will have NO problem. Use the Cambridge SCP Latin word tester (approximately 400 words, iirc) - they are EVERY SINGLE POSSIBLE WORD that will come up in the exam. The exam is made from a list of them words. Learn them all? Sorted. I tried to work at one "stage" (31 in total iirc) a week. Very effective for me. Grammar is quite difficult, but you will get the hang of it no problem. The other Latin exam we did was "Latin civilization". Now, for some reason, you're supposed to spend something like 15 lessons at least on this.. However we spent... 4. A month before the exam. I found a booklet online that detailed EVERYTHING you need to know - I found this booklet two days before the exam - and managed an A! Basically saying. Right resources. You'll get the grade. Unfortunately I don't have the link saved so I can't send it to you, but it is out there somewhere

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e2014)
    Well it depends on your school/teacher as to how much direct help you get from your teacher.

You will get a topic and the type of oral changes. In French, I had a presentation with questions for one oral and then an oral with just questions about a topic. Chinese I also had a presentation and questions and then a picture based discussion.

Teachers will give you an idea about the sort of questions they could ask you but they won't ask the same thing for everyone. Also with my teachers, they asked harder questions for people they felt could cope with them to enable them to get higher grades.

Teachers will also probably give you some vocabulary and more complicated sentence structures so you have a chance at the A* grade.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.