The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ScaryScience
last session with lady from wellbeing.. have 1 session booked in 8 weeks but then that's it until September. really going to miss it... she is absolutely wonderful and it helps to have a bit of time to offload too. not 100% how im going to cope if im honest as our sessions are something I really hold on for.

:jumphug:

Original post by superwolf
Got a job! Mum's gonna kill me, it's at the same place I was inpatient (although on a different ward). :tongue:

Well done! :woo::party:

Original post by Anonymous
I'd like someone to talk to, I've been going through quite a bad slump of depression. I'm 17, almost 18, and had a meeting with CAMHS today. They suggested taking medically authorised time off school to have some rest and try to fix my mind a bit, however this worries me because I have my A Level exams in May and I'm stressed enough about that! Anyone have any advice/been in a similar situation? I've felt this way for 3 years and have been on antidepressants since August. Am worried about going to adult mental health units because CAMHS is becoming my safety net at the moment. Any help/advice/just someone to talk to is greatly appreciated :smile:

Could you stay in school and just not take the exams this year, and redo the year next year? That's what someone I know did and it really helped her, or you could just stop from now until summer and still redo the year, although as Sabertooth said the lack of routine could be a problem.

I'm slightly different in that it was more physical health I had a problem with in A levels, but I refused to stop and it ended up making me far worse both physically and mentally. I've now taken a gap year and am resitting exams and whilst it hasn't really made me any better and I have struggled wig a lack of structure, I at least now recognise I couldn't have managed uni this year and that I was wrong to keep going last year. That said, I'm also determined to give it a good go in September, so I can see it both ways! Not sure as that helps at all but hopefully it makes you feel a bit less alone with it all if nothing else :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got a job! Mum's gonna kill me, it's at the same place I was inpatient (although on a different ward). :tongue:

PRSOM! So so so happy for you! :console:

I'd like someone to talk to, I've been going through quite a bad slump of depression. I'm 17, almost 18, and had a meeting with CAMHS today. They suggested taking medically authorised time off school to have some rest and try to fix my mind a bit, however this worries me because I have my A Level exams in May and I'm stressed enough about that! Anyone have any advice/been in a similar situation? I've felt this way for 3 years and have been on antidepressants since August. Am worried about going to adult mental health units because CAMHS is becoming my safety net at the moment. Any help/advice/just someone to talk to is greatly appreciated :smile:

I don't really know enough about your own personal situation but if it were me I'd take some time off. It was suggested to me for similar reasons but I refused and cracked on which ultimately led me to get worse mentally, get rubbish grades and end up in an inpatient unit. Of course that is just my experience and that might not be the case for you.

Also, if they want to refer you to adult mental health services, let them. It will only come back to bite you on the arse if you don't :facepalm:

Welcome to MHSS :hi: Though sorry to hear of what brings you here :frown: Sounds like you're having a really rough time of it.

A few things to consider, perhaps (though I've never taken leave from studies myself, so I could be completely wrong!):

1. How long do they want you to take medical leave from school for?

2. Would you still be able to sit your A Level exams in May as planned if you left now?

3. Are you AS or A2? Have you applied for any university courses? If you are A2 and have to delay your A Level exams til next May (2016), would you be able to defer your entry without having to withdraw and reapply?

4. If you are A2 and have applied to unis, how do they look upon candidates who have taken more than 2 academic years to do their A Levels? I know it's a big problem in medicine but think it's OK for most other subjects...

Ultimately you must put your health first and do whatever you need to do to safeguard yourself and give yourself the best chance of getting better sooner rather than later :hugs:
too sad for this
Thanks all! :biggrin:

Go wolfie, go wolfie, go wolfie.... :jive: :biggrin: :lovehug:
missed counselling feel like an idiot
managed to be a functioning human being today :smile:

Woke up to an urgent text telling me I'm a match to donate bone marrow/stem cells :eek:

got my hair cut

went to the bank

bought some nice food with a gift card I found

enquired about enrolling on night classes to learn how to draw - im so excited about this :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Applied for a voluntary job as an animal therapy assistant which involves taking my own pets or other assistants pets into care homes, hospices etc for the patients to connect with and play with. Really hope I get this. Can't think of a job more suited to me. Would also help me build up my confidence and maybe help my anxiety too as I would be getting out more and have something to get up for. Plus it would be great to see the joy an animal could bring to someone who is lonely or in pain. It would be a very rewarding and fulfilling venture*:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I completed my recording for my music exam today..
it only took 16 takes in 2 hours.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

Ah OK, only just come home and seen the edited version. I'm sorry she wasn't helpful but that doesn't mean that other doctors will react the same way. Plus it sounds like you only told the GP half the story? Though it's not your fault at all that she was useless, she still should have tried to be more helpful with the information she had :frown:

I empathise on the Asian background thing. My dad refused to believe for ages that anything was wrong with me. Only last year he conceded that I actually hear voices, despite me having done so since I was about 5 (though admittedly only told doctors that aged 21. Am now 26) :sigh:

Yeah I did only tell her half the story cause I didn't think the two were related :/ I don't know what to do. I'm running out of time and feel like there's no one to talk to about this :frown:
too sad for this

:hugs:

Original post by Pathway
missed counselling feel like an idiot

can you re-arrange it?

Original post by Odd socks
managed to be a functioning human being today :smile:

Woke up to an urgent text telling me I'm a match to donate bone marrow/stem cells :eek:

got my hair cut

went to the bank

bought some nice food with a gift card I found

enquired about enrolling on night classes to learn how to draw - im so excited about this :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yay for productive day! :smile:

Original post by Spock's Socks
Applied for a voluntary job as an animal therapy assistant which involves taking my own pets or other assistants pets into care homes, hospices etc for the patients to connect with and play with. Really hope I get this. Can't think of a job more suited to me. Would also help me build up my confidence and maybe help my anxiety too as I would be getting out more and have something to get up for. Plus it would be great to see the joy an animal could bring to someone who is lonely or in pain. It would be a very rewarding and fulfilling venture*:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

good luck with the job application!

Original post by Midnightmemories
I completed my recording for my music exam today..
it only took 16 takes in 2 hours.

well done for getting it done!

awesome! huge congrats wolfie! :hugs:
Original post by Spock's Socks

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds awesome! Really hope you get it. :smile:

And further thanks to everyone else who quoted/repped me. :biggrin:
Spoke to my mum about dropping out of uni and doing an access course. I'm not sure if she's overly enthused by the idea but she said whatever makes me happy. Thing is though I don't know if it would make me happy. I think I want to do it but I can't trust my brain.

Spoiler

I thought it was the thought of going to uni that was making me so anxious but this morning, even when I knew I wasn't going, within 5 minutes of waking I was sweating and my heart felt weird. So tired of feeling this low and unsafe without any real reason.

Since last Thursday I've been to 1/10 lectures :sigh: Something definitely needs to change, I just don't know what.

Sorry for posting so much recently :s-smilie:
im so stupid. wish I wasn't me
I feel like **** right now and it's not good.
Feeling so up and down right now, will be fine one day and then the next im not. should be happy right now with the grades from my most recent essays...
Big :grouphugs: to all who need them. I'd offer to talk but tutor has suggested I attend a 9am lecture tomorrow, which means I have to finish my work tonight :sigh: She did say "don't worry if you can't make it" but that blatantly means she wants to see me there :tongue:

Original post by Silence_Will_Fal
Yeah I did only tell her half the story cause I didn't think the two were related :/ I don't know what to do. I'm running out of time and feel like there's no one to talk to about this :frown:

Imho, you need to see some kinda medical doctor and fast to get a diagnosis - without a diagnosis, uni are unlikely to help you :frown: Where did you see the useless GP? At home or at uni? (Or are you living at home and thus still registered with your home GP?) If it was one out of home or uni, could you try the other? :console:
**** this :/
It's that time of night again when I feel alone and start to cry :frown: *sighs heavily*
**** this :/

:jumphug: I'm around if talking would help at all? :console:

:hugs: to anyone else that needs them too, hope people are ok :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest