The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVI

Scroll to see replies

so my attempt at being a vague human being tonight ended in me having a massive flashback and pouring a glass of water at a man. fml.
What's drugs fix ocd
Original post by purple-duck

Yeah :redface: thanks :smile:

Very sorry to hear about throat infection :frown: that's really rubbish :/ Is that the strep, sorry? Either way try not to worry about hockey stuff? Can't help it that you're ill, and not your fault at all - so don't go blaming yourself? :redface:
I'm sorry you're feeling so rubbish at the moment :frown: Hope things improve soon for you, sounds like you've got a lot on :frown:
:hugs:

and thanks :colondollar: watched some lord of the rings in bed with some pancakes :colondollar: then got sleep!

I'm not sure what strep is called in the UK (and google wasn't helpful) but it's just a specific type of throat infection. That's basically what my wife said about the hockey but I can't help feeling bad over it, I feel like if I wasn't such a wuss I'd play through the pain. And thanks :smile:

Pancakes sound good. I wanted to make some but yeah....effort :colondollar:

Feel just too overwhelmed still :frown: don't even know what I'm doing :/ Got an assignment in for tomorrow and I didn't even remember it/had forgotten sort of, I'd meant to do it over this week/last 4 days, but just haven't had the time apparently/just bleh. Probably couldn't do it even if I tried, not understanding anything really in lectures atm. And keep missing them, too :frown:
3 weeks of lectures left and then I've got to somehow know enough to sit these exams.
Hopefully after this weekend cinema will take up less time, though :s-smilie:
Getting to make-up and project Toy Story on friday, though - so excited :colondollar: though also exhausted :frown: bad 4am sleep schedule is bad :/

How'd the assignment go? If you're not understanding lectures could you try speaking to the lecturer about it? ime they don't mind helping people out, for instance by recommending some background reading you could do to clarify things.

"project Toy story"? Sounds intriguing!
Original post by ringspun
What's drugs fix ocd

You'd need to talk to your doctor but generally SSRI antidepressants are prescribed for ocd.
I've gone lifting again and I feel pretty great. I do actually think there's some truth to the stuff I've been reading sadly, but perhaps I can use it to my advantage via 'taking care of myself' etc.
Reply 1545
Original post by Sabertooth
I'm not sure what strep is called in the UK (and google wasn't helpful) but it's just a specific type of throat infection.

In the UK, they don't generally take swabs if you have an inflamed throat. If they decide it is bacterial and severe enough to require treatment they just prescribe a broad spectrum antibiotic which would cure strep or straph infection (two of the most common bacteria causing throat infections).

Rather than specifying a bacteria or virus, they specify the bit of the throat that is inflamed so they would diagnose tonsilitis or pharyngitis.

To cut a long story short though, tonsilitis is generally the term used for strep throat in the uk (even if it isn't the tonsils specifically affected people would call it that)
Original post by Jay84
In the UK, they don't generally take swabs if you have an inflamed throat. If they decide it is bacterial and severe enough to require treatment they just prescribe a broad spectrum antibiotic which would cure strep or straph infection (two of the most common bacteria causing throat infections).

Rather than specifying a bacteria or virus, they specify the bit of the throat that is inflamed so they would diagnose tonsilitis or pharyngitis.

To cut a long story short though, tonsilitis is generally the term used for strep throat in the uk (even if it isn't the tonsils specifically affected people would call it that)

Awesome, thanks for clearing that up. :yy:
Ugh I don't want to deal with things at the moment. I'm feeling sucky.
Having quite a good evening, managed to go to my drama rehearsal and even enjoy myself

Spoiler

, I think i'm doing well in my modding, had a nice junky tea and now i'm watching Banana on E4 :smile:

Edit: is that the guy from In the Flesh that's in it this week?
Original post by Anonymous #2
Spoilered for moans

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spoiler

Original post by Pathway
Well, scratch that, now I don't have my two friends in my group either, didn't get my first choice. This is just ****ing stupid, and I know I shouldn't be this worked up over something so trivial but I just can't be ****ing bothered with this ****.

Gonna fail it anyway, so **** at everything.

:frown: :hugs: Try not to worry too much about it if you can? :s-smilie: Can you share results with the other people in your group? Or maybe go with your friends when they do there's/steal some of the people they use :colondollar: :hugs: Seems really unfair that you have to find your own people :s-smilie: and just tough.

Was going to say if you're near coventry then I'd be happy to :colondollar: though I realise that chances are you aren't :redface:
:jumphug:

Original post by ScaryScience
so my attempt at being a vague human being tonight ended in me having a massive flashback and pouring a glass of water at a man. fml.

:jumphug: Are you grounded okay? :s-smilie: lots of :hugs:

I'm not sure what strep is called in the UK (and google wasn't helpful) but it's just a specific type of throat infection. That's basically what my wife said about the hockey but I can't help feeling bad over it, I feel like if I wasn't such a wuss I'd play through the pain. And thanks :smile:

Pancakes sound good. I wanted to make some but yeah....effort :colondollar:

How'd the assignment go? If you're not understanding lectures could you try speaking to the lecturer about it? ime they don't mind helping people out, for instance by recommending some background reading you could do to clarify things.

"project Toy story"? Sounds intriguing!

Reading through Jay's thing, makes more sense now :colondollar: :smile: Very sorry that it's like that, though :frown: Not a wuss at all! :eek: They wouldn't expect you to play at all with an infection/not well :nah:

They ended up cold because I was writing on here and in diary :colondollar: but were nice still I guess... - Yeah exactly :tongue: These were shop bought ones :colondollar: :hide:

Didn't even bother :sad: same as the last one (they're every fortnight) Just bleh :/ Yeah I think I *could* but I'm not sure how much it's me understanding and how much - and I think that it's this - it's just me needing to put in some work/look through notes/actually copy up lectures I miss and pay attention in lectures. Just finding it difficult atm to do any of those/keep missing them too, and don't know what to do really :s-smilie: :frown: Just got to hope I can revise okay/better than last year - last year was saved by the fact that exams had A-level stuff in partly, and weren't too difficult. This year I haven't a clue on *any* of it :/ sorry, just a ramble :s-smilie:

Haha :colondollar: We're having a pixar film night at the student cinema - first film is Toy Story which is in 35mm film! :eek: Just been "making it up"/checking that it's in good shape this evening - unfortunately it isn't :tongue: but fixing the bits okay :colondollar: Is good fun! but probably need to do less because I think it might be eating my time up/stopping work, but I'm just so confused about it and could ramble for/against for ages :s-smilie: :frown:

Hope you've had a good day!

Original post by Smash Bandicoot
going to try not to post so much as TSR seems to be bad for me.

Hope everyone is OK :smile:

Make sure to still post here! :eek: :biggrin:
Had a really good day today including cuddles from my nephew! Was in the same room as my step dad for just over an hour and nothing was said :eek:

Day of rest tomorrow with a ickle bit of guiding work, but it feels good to be with my mummy. Tempted to look after my nephew on saturday but id be on my own which is scary i know ill be looking over my shoulder if i go into town, so i dunno if its a good idea or not, i could go into the other town but i dont know tgat AS well. Hummmmm

Food

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1551
Awesome, thanks for clearing that up. :yy:

No probs. I used to get that all the time to the point where they suggested removing the tonsils but then several years ago, I had it really bad and took a very high dose of antibiotics and since it cleared up that time, I haven't had it since.

Not playing hockey or whatever when you are ill shouldn't make you feel bad. It isn't about being able to 'take the pain' or some such other stoic concept. It is surely about just being smart and conserving your strength to fight an infection as quick as possible so you are back to full fitness to play next time. Or just generally prioritising your health and recovery over trivial things. I wish I had learnt to think like that ten years ago tbh, in hindsight, every time I have 'played through it' whether it be in regards to mental or physical health has just been stupidity, not strength.
Original post by Jay84
No probs. I used to get that all the time to the point where they suggested removing the tonsils but then several years ago, I had it really bad and took a very high dose of antibiotics and since it cleared up that time, I haven't had it since.

Not playing hockey or whatever when you are ill shouldn't make you feel bad. It isn't about being able to 'take the pain' or some such other stoic concept. It is surely about just being smart and conserving your strength to fight an infection as quick as possible so you are back to full fitness to play next time. Or just generally prioritising your health and recovery over trivial things. I wish I had learnt to think like that ten years ago tbh, in hindsight, every time I have 'played through it' whether it be in regards to mental or physical health has just been stupidity, not strength.

Oh nice! I wish the antibiotics would kick in like that for me :tongue: I got sore throats all the time as a kid too but never as severely as these past few weeks and never with such prolonged fever. :frown: Hopefully you continue to be free of it. :smile:

*sigh* I know you're right really, it's just hard to admit that I'm not superman. I feel so pathetic emailing the coach and admitting that I'm ill, as a rule I try my best to continue regardless of mental or physical problems and I know that's stupidity. It's responsible for my **** degree but I never learn. :colondollar: However, you're right. I was weighing up whether to play tonight or not and after reading your post I'm gonna give it a miss because I really do need my strength to fight this ****ing infection. Thank you. :smile:
Reply 1553
Oh nice! I wish the antibiotics would kick in like that for me :tongue: I got sore throats all the time as a kid too but never as severely as these past few weeks and never with such prolonged fever. :frown: Hopefully you continue to be free of it. :smile:

Yeah, it really sucks when you get it bad. Hopefully, you'll have the same experience as me once this course works through your system.

*sigh* I know you're right really, it's just hard to admit that I'm not superman. I feel so pathetic emailing the coach and admitting that I'm ill, as a rule I try my best to continue regardless of mental or physical problems and I know that's stupidity. It's responsible for my **** degree but I never learn. :colondollar:

I have been exactly the same all my life. Have struggled about on a broken foot till someone made me go to the hospital cos I didn't want to 'be a pussy about it'. Just made me look like a stupid prick.

Never ever wanted to admit that I had mental problems and needed help and just consistently got myself into dire situations and ruined parts of my life and caused more hassle to other people.

Luckily with my degree it was modular but it meant that I had to work insanely hard in some terms to compensate for the terms where I totally flunked everything. This was just stupidity because the extra stress probably meant that I spent more time ill than if I had surrendered and sought help and time out.

Its a struggle not to feel that way though to be honest and sometimes it just helps to hear it from someone else. I don't know where wanting to be perfect even stems from, I don't expect other people to.
Don't worry about hockey. You just risk another infection. Physical Illness and sport is not that an good combination.
I'm feeling really anxious and scared about something ... I want to confide to the person but I'm certain they won't be sympathetic or reassuring, so I feel quite lost and upset. :frown: What can I do ... I don't know what to do other than keep it to myself and deal with it :erm: :frown:

:frown: :hugs: Try not to worry too much about it if you can? :s-smilie: Can you share results with the other people in your group? Or maybe go with your friends when they do there's/steal some of the people they use :colondollar: :hugs: Seems really unfair that you have to find your own people :s-smilie: and just tough.

Was going to say if you're near coventry then I'd be happy to :colondollar: though I realise that chances are you aren't :redface:
:jumphug:

No, we have to contribute our own results (which is making me stress out). Gonna try and see if she will transfer me into the same group as my friends (we got split up in the end when it came to choosing which lab we wanted, I was a bit too late, and the lab I wanted got filled up within a minute!), but if she doesn't then I'll just ask my friends to participate in my experiment. Just don't like the thought of being on my own, especially as I'm not feeling that great lately and not really understanding anything in lectures - it's nice to be able to talk to people about what's happened during the lecture. Helps me understand it more. Guess I could try and make new friends, but talking to new people is so stressful and I would much rather not do it, makes me have anxiety attacks. :dontknow: Never used to be like this. Guess I've just gotten lazy. Yeah, I think it's preparation for next years project, but that'll be easier, because our projects can just go for the whole year etc.

Thanks. :hugs:

How are you? :jumphug:
Had a very real horrible dream last night :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it normal for fluoxetine to make me tired during the day? I took it before I went to bed last night and i'm still tired now, I've only been taking it since tuesday.
going home for the weekend..give me strength

Latest