Turn on thread page Beta

14-year-old has abortion without mother's consent watch

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/n...re/3709681.stm

Any views on this? Personally, I think the girl's parents should have been consulted about this, but not against the girl's own consent - I imagine the girl asked the school not to tell her mum, and they can't go against her wishes.

Also, I expect all this publicity is making the whole thing even worse for the girl, and her mother is being very irresponsible by drawing so much attention to the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trousers)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/n...re/3709681.stm

Any views on this? I expect all this publicity is making the whole thing even worse for the girl, and her mother is being very irresponsible by drawing so much attention to the case.
    I agree with you on that. Heard her mum on the radio and it sounded pretty much like if the girl had told her she was pregnant, her mum would've done whatever she could to make her keep the baby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    I agree with you on that. Heard her mum on the radio and it sounded pretty much like if the girl had told her she was pregnant, her mum would've done whatever she could to make her keep the baby.
    Hopefully the doctor who carried out the abortion was decent, and made sure the girl had adequate support to deal with it all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    According to one of the stories I read, after the mother found out she talked to the girl, who suddenly changed her mind about the whole thing but by then it was too late. It seems to me that the mother is incredibly pushy and doesn't credit her daughter with having a mind of her own.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone has the right to privacy.....her mum was wrong to splash her photo over the papers...imagine what its going to be like for the girl now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fairydust)
    Everyone has the right to privacy.....her mum was wrong to splash her photo over the papers...imagine what its going to be like for the girl now.
    Absolutely - if she didn't want her mum to know in the first place, she probably isn't keen on having the whole world know about it now. Now everyone at her school knows a lot of very personal stuff about her, and that's just awful. The mother is a disgrace.

ReputationRep:
    yeah but the girls only 14 years old she is still a child, and her parents have a right to know. i can understand that she didin't want her mum to know because her mums to pushy, but at the end of the day if something went wrong with the abortion then the parent would be the one that people blame.

ReputationRep:
    Thinking about it, I know it is a different sinario but the school does have to tell parents if the child is in danger. The school didnt which means that the girl must have had enough common sense and knew what she wanted to do. Im not suprised she didnt tell her mum if that is how she reacts.

ReputationRep:
    obviously the child didnt tell her mother because she didn't want her to interfere. As everyone else has said, she seems a tad too pushy, and the girl must have felt that if her mum found out things wuld have turned out very differently.

I don't envy the doctor tho - I was of the impression that anyone under 16 could not have treatement without parental consent.

ReputationRep:
    According to my teacher, it would actually be against the law for the school to tell her parents without her consent, so long as she was deemed competent to make the decision. And I think it's horrible that the mother has drawn so much attention to the case... imagine what it's going to be like for the girl now.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely - if she didn't want her mum to know in the first place, she probably isn't keen on having the whole world know about it now. Now everyone at her school knows a lot of very personal stuff about her, and that's just awful. The mother is a disgrace.
    I agree with that definately. At 14 making a decision like that must be awful (of course it is at any age). Although the mother may be angry in the short term, the long term implications for her daughter will be much more painful. I'm sure this could have been dealt with without the media getting involved. How is the girl meant to try and deal with the situation when she is being judged left right and centre.

ReputationRep:
    It's absolutely shocking that children of that age can do that without consent from their parents.

BTW... as for the publicity, I don't see any names or faces anywhere, so i'm presuming that no damage is done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    as for the publicity, I don't see any names or faces anywhere, so i'm presuming that no damage is done.
    I'm sure EVERYBODY knows who it is and what school it is round where the girl lives.

ReputationRep:
    It's absolutely shocking that children of that age can do that without consent from their parents.

BTW... as for the publicity, I don't see any names or faces anywhere, so i'm presuming that no damage is done.
    ...And what is the girl to do if her mum won't give consent for her to have an abortion? Miss out on her education and bring another unwanted child into the world, only to give it up to someone else? I'm sure that won't harm the poor girl at all... :rolleyes:

The girl's name and face is all over the papers this morning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I would find a situation where the parents forced a minor to have a child against her wishes far more disturbing.
    Children make childish decisions.

ReputationRep:
    ...And what is the girl to do if her mum won't give consent for her to have an abortion? Miss out on her education and bring another unwanted child into the world, only to give it up to someone else? I'm sure that won't harm the poor gril at all...

The girl's name and face is all over the papers this morning.
    1) Nice to know what you think of children... it's not the end of the world, especially with a supportive family.

2) That's a shame, but I'm sure that the mother talked with her girl before going to the press. Don't jump to conclusions.

ReputationRep:
    I think choosing not to have a baby at 14 is quite a mature decision, personally.

ReputationRep:
    I think choosing not to have a baby at 14 is quite a mature decision, personally.
    Well, that's your opinion.

ReputationRep:
    1) Nice to know what you think of children... it's not the end of the world, especially with a supportive family.

2) That's a shame, but I'm sure that the mother talked with her girl before going to the press. Don't jump to conclusions.
    I'm not going to have an abortion argument with you. I've read other threads on the topic and it's clear that your views are as unchangeable as mine, so we'll have to leave it there.

ReputationRep:
    Precisely, so if she did have a baby so young all the 100s of vital decisions that need to be made would be childish too. I agree with Trousers on this one.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.