Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sleeping pattern chaos and exams watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi

So amongst my revision, I have developed an unusal sleeping pattern whereby I go to sleep around 6am and wake up at around 3pm

I tried to combat this by going to bed at 6am then waking up 4.5 hours later but I couldnt do it!

The problem is I have an exam at 8am on monday which I HAVE to go to....

What would be the best way to wake up on time?

I am considering studying to 9pm, turning all electronics off and staying in bed reading.....

I have really bad self control though lol

And sunday I will set 8am alarm..... best way forward?

ReputationRep:
    You will need to 'wind down' and ensure you turn off electronics at least half an hour before going to bed. Maybe try to have a milky drink?

Try to get up at 08:00 on Sunday and have meals at a normal time.

I think I would have tried to change my body clock a bit earlier. Why is your exam so early? I've never heard of an 8am exam before ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    You will need to 'wind down' and ensure you turn off electronics at least half an hour before going to bed. Maybe try to have a milky drink?

Try to get up at 08:00 on Sunday and have meals at a normal time.

I think I would have tried to change my body clock a bit earlier. Why is your exam so early? I've never heard of an 8am exam before ...
    I have been trying for the past few days, hideously unsuccessfully. And I am studying abroad...

Actually I have three 8am exams next week, so that should definitely get me into the habit

The struggle is real

ReputationRep:
    Good luck - are you allowed to take water into the exams?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Set your alarm at a 1.5hr interval from sleep time. If you are normally actually sleepy at 6am then yes I would try and pull your sleep time back tonight. Sleep comes in phases so you need to catch it by winding down 1.5 hrs before you think you'll be able to sleep; I agree that reading at that point will be a good idea.

I've got great experience with this and have realised to prepare well in advance - even going to brush my teeth for 2 mins before I'm about to sleep can awaken me.

Worst Case Scenario:
    Don't bank on the following otherwise you'll subconsciously implement this strategy -
    If you are unable to do get anywhere with this, leave for your exam an hour early to make sure you don't nod off at home and push yourself for a few through your first exam for a few hours.
    Probably recommend going to sleep as soon as it gets dark/6pm on that day. Try not to go to bed too early and definitely not later than 9pm(allow plenty of winding down time) as you need to make up for the sleep deficit. A bit of luck involved, but hopefully you'll get through.

ReputationRep:
    Start going to bed at a reasonable time from TONIGHT; you may be tired tomorrow morning as you may not get to sleep for ages, but force yourself to get up at say 8am and go about your day; do NOT nap. Then go to bed at a reasonable time on Sunday- you'll be tired, and fall asleep easier. Set multiple alarms for Monday morning; get a friend to call you 45 minutes before the exam to make sure you're awake. Continue to go to bed at a reasonable time for the whole week, and your internal clock will be reset. That's the best I can advise with such a small interval between now & the exam; next time, do try & keep a reasonable sleep schedule, as it will mean less stress ultimately in trying to get back in sync with the rest of the world when the exams actually start!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gutenberg)
    Start going to bed at a reasonable time from TONIGHT; you may be tired tomorrow morning as you may not get to sleep for ages, but force yourself to get up at say 8am and go about your day; do NOT nap. Then go to bed at a reasonable time on Sunday- you'll be tired, and fall asleep easier. Set multiple alarms for Monday morning; get a friend to call you 45 minutes before the exam to make sure you're awake. Continue to go to bed at a reasonable time for the whole week, and your internal clock will be reset. That's the best I can advise with such a small interval between now & the exam; next time, do try & keep a reasonable sleep schedule, as it will mean less stress ultimately in trying to get back in sync with the rest of the world when the exams actually start!
    Thanks, I am gunna stop studying in a bit. Im tempted to leave my blinds open a bit to let the morning daylight in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by number23)
    Thanks, I am gunna stop studying in a bit. Im tempted to leave my blinds open a bit to let the morning daylight in?
    If you think that'll help you then definitely do so.

Anything that you feel would help is worth the try.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by number23)
    That would probably help, providing there's no light from outside that might disturb you during the night (streetlight, etc.). I like total darkness if possible when I'm asleep

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.