Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In my second last year of secondary school and I am looking into applying for international relations; however I'm not sure how to write my personal Statement revolving around the subject. I am also not sure what work experience I should do to make me a better candidate for the subject!!! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you're already interested in studying IR, you must have some reasons for it. Start with these!

Have you picked your A-levels? Even though there's not an IR A-level you get IR content in History, Politics, Economics and Geography which you can discuss - I'm sure there's more examples too.

I'd recommend some accessible wider reading - I talked about a book about the EU and an article in Foreign Policy magazine (I'd recommend getting a copy of this). If you share some of your interests I could probably recommend some lightish reading.

As far as work experience goes anything with an international, charitable or political flavour would be good, although to be honest I imagine it would be very rare/difficult to get an IR related position so there won't be too much emphasis on this. It's been 5 years since I applied but as far as I know LSE is the only really competitive IR programme (possibly KCL, although they introduced their programme after I applied so I don't know too much about it)

ReputationRep:
    Where are you looking to apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Victow)
    In my second last year of secondary school and I am looking into applying for international relations; however I'm not sure how to write my personal Statement revolving around the subject. I am also not sure what work experience I should do to make me a better candidate for the subject!!! Thanks
    Hi

I am a third year IR student at Durham (and will be continuing the subject at LSE as a postgrad in September)- so here is the advice I can give you:
    definitely show an interest in history, current events (in politics or society) and languages / cultures. Any internships that highlight the above and also show that you are an open-minded, communicative person should really help- but will not be required. I did not have any relevant work-experience in the field and made it into Durham anyways

Hope this helps, feel free to ask me any more questions!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much, that was incredibly helpful!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Tbh the actual work experience doesn't really matter for IR- just anything where you can say you gained transferable skills. When I applied I had work experience in an MP's Office - political but not IR but I just talked about the skills I gained from it. And as others have said how my A-Levels related and what areas of IR I was most interested in.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Right now I am taking IB and studying History HL, Econ HL, Bio HL, Eng lit SL, Chinese SL and Math SL, so i can definitely talk about those.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could recommend some reading, I'd definitely like to be more well read within the subject area.

I might have an internship working for the Asia Society which has relevance to IR.

I haven't actually looked into specific schools yet because I am still in yr 12 but I'll definitely look into LSE!

Thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You!Me!Dancing!)
    If you're already interested in studying IR, you must have some reasons for it. Start with these!

Have you picked your A-levels? Even though there's not an IR A-level you get IR content in History, Politics, Economics and Geography which you can discuss - I'm sure there's more examples too.

I'd recommend some accessible wider reading - I talked about a book about the EU and an article in Foreign Policy magazine (I'd recommend getting a copy of this). If you share some of your interests I could probably recommend some lightish reading.

As far as work experience goes anything with an international, charitable or political flavour would be good, although to be honest I imagine it would be very rare/difficult to get an IR related position so there won't be too much emphasis on this. It's been 5 years since I applied but as far as I know LSE is the only really competitive IR programme (possibly KCL, although they introduced their programme after I applied so I don't know too much about it)

Hi, Right now I am taking IB and studying History HL, Econ HL, Bio HL, Eng lit SL, Chinese SL and Math SL, so i can definitely talk about those.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could recommend some reading, I'd definitely like to be more well read within the subject area.

I might have an internship working for the Asia Society which has relevance to IR.

I haven't actually looked into specific schools yet because I am still in yr 12 but I'll definitely look into LSE!

Thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:

Thanks for the advice
    Hi, sorry for the late reply - what kind of topics are you interested in when it comes to IR? General points and ideas are fine - then I can recommend reading

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.